• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmid

Hello Terry,
I was very interested to read your thread about the Birmid, and mention of my father, Frank Swan, who worked at MMC for over 40 years. It was a real family affair as his brother Reg Swan was personnel manager too, and Reg's son, Michael was a pattern maker at Darcast (I think). My mother's sister and brother in law, Peggy and Vic Clewer, also worked for one of the companies, but I don't remember which. I also worked there, but in the dreaded 'Cremlin' - I worked for John Sully who was the Group Technical Director (and Director of all the companies in the Group). I well remember Lord Exeter (Chairman at the time) bringing in an object to Mr Sully to get chrome plated - it turned out to be the hip replacement that had been taken out when he had that replacement replaced! He ultimately had it mounted on his Rolls Royce as a mascot! The canteen was something else! The food exceptional, and the prices - wow! Can't think of the managers name now, but he got my wedding cake made for a fraction of what it would have cost elsewhere - happy days. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers those days

I know the names. When I was there, Anne Humphries worked with Fred. There was Alan Parr, Dave Kind, Dennis Whiley, Brian Osborne, Eddie Gale, Jim Hodges, Brian Rock, Clive Nock, Percy Mould, Charlie Higgs, Harold White, Dave Riley - in the labs.

Nearly all of these names I know. You might be interested in attending our Xmas get together at the Stag and Three Horseshoes, top of Mucklows Hill. Date to be confirmed. Some of these will be attending. Let me know please if interested by sending me your email address.

So pleased to see Charlie Higgs. Such a loveable rogue and I like to think a good friend of mine. He was the one to organise stag parties and somehow get magistrates' approval for extensions to drinking time. He often borrowed small amounts of money at the middle of the week . I did get paid back but on one occasion it was difficult to redeem the 5/- I lent him so he gave me a micrometer. This probably an item from the inspection department!! It is, however, an instrument I use regularly, in fact to day. Hurricanplanes ,I do remember Sam Beard. He had a rather deep impression in his forehead said to be the result of the use of forceps at birth. Did Johnny Ashfield do impression of "stars" at Christmas lab get to gethers? I'm pretty sure I remember the name Mike Freer. Freddie Fox was in charge of the surface finish lab and often made trips to Beaumaries, N. Wales where samples of aluminium and magnesium products were left in tidal waters to check corrosion resistance.

Yes, Charlie was a real character. As an apprentice I was placed with Charlie. A great introduction to working life. Fred had a Ford Prefect and looked like a boxer but was a kind sort. Do you remember Anne Humphries who worked with Fred and made coffee mid morning? I visited you at your place on the Lickey Hills and then you went sheep farming.

After my apprenticeship, I first worked in 'process control' within the labs. Then I became a production foreman in No.2 Extrusion and then I ran No.1 Extrusion that used to be managed by Reg Box. I stayed at Birmetals until the closure in December 1980. I enjoyed my time there and will never forget it. In the labs I once worked with Dave Riley and we struck up a friendship. I remember cycling with him for an apprentices holiday in North Wales. Often wonder what became of him. The picture I attach is myself, in black, pictured with John Foden, who worked for Dennis Whiley. Another former Birmetals employee was Roger Thompson.
With JF.jpeg

Here is an aerial view of Birmetals in the 1940s, when set in open countryside. Clapgate Lane was notorious for testing the suspension of cars.
Birmetals-1940s.jpg

Mike Freer....... Have you by any chance read my long article on Bimetals on Post 14? You will surely be able to recall many of the moments to which I relate. and correct some no doubt. When I finished my time at the company I was in charge of Process Control with Charlie Higgs as a colleague. Prior to that I was in charge of the Met Lab. As you state I left the Company in 1968 to live on a small holding out in the sticks of Carmarthshire. I now live in a terraced house in Pembroke!! I am sorry to say I cannot recall you visiting my house in Lick Rock but thanks for going anyway!! As foreman of No2 Extrusion did you work under George Newton? No 1 Extrusion was a smaller unit and a less hectic than No2 I expect. A wonderful aerial picture of Birmetals.. Hope to see you at the re-union later in the year. By the way I think you are talking about John not David Riley!!

Anvil Man - Your article was excellent. Your recollections are incredible. I remember you in the old labs opposite NDT (Dennis Whiley). You shared with Sid Parr, I think. I did work under George Newton. If I remember correctly, you used to make beaten copper trays etc in your spare time. There was a John and a Dave Riley. Dave came from Woodgate and was tall and very well built with very short fair hair. Then there was Alan Beech from Romsley.
Charlie Higgs used to organise our 'booze ups' in Oldswinford, Stourbridge. I think we sometimes used the 'Bird in Hand'.
I remember you calling in at Birmetals after you became a farmer. You really looked the part and told us it was tough.
No 1 Extrusion was nice to manage. Alan Parr ended up looking after No.3 and the tube mill. When Birmetals closed he went to live in Ireland, still working in the aluminium industry. I think he did very well. I don't think that he remarried after the early death of Pat. I used to go for a drink with him. Hope to see you at the reunion.

Mike Freer.................. The ghost of Birmetals has reared a favourable head in just 24hrs. Firstly through the Forum and at last finding a photo of a friend , Charlie Higgs and secondly in today's post a letter, after 10yrs waiting, from Ian Campbell living in Canada. He was an apprentice the same time as me and finished off in the Met Lab. In your Post#86 you mention my dabbling in making copper trays, well I also managed to sell a stuffed fox in a glass case to the Landlord of the pub mentioned, ie "The Bird in Hand"!!!!!

Anvil Man - Glad that I provided a photo of Charlie. I always had time for him and yes, he was a lovable rogue. After one of our drinking sessions I remember staying the night with Charlie and his wife Mary at their home, The Castle, not far from The Bird in Hand. If I remember correctly Ian Campbell was a keen mountain climber and very good at it. I too have continued with a love of the mountains after first going to Snowdonia with the apprentices of which I remember Derek Price and Bruce Cooley, the latter being in the engineers department. Love the story about the stuffed fox, partly because I have a love of the countryside and that way of life. I mentioned you to another ex-apprentice, Roger Thompson, who remembers you. He used to come to Freddy Fox's Lab for coffee. Do you by any chance remember Pat Daniels, who was an apprentice in the labs. She left to become an air hostess. A lab apprentice, John Davis, visited Charlie in hospital shortly before Charlie died. After Birmetals, Charlie worked at Longbridge. A couple of years ago I met Harold White in a pub in Halesowen, where I live. At that time he was still following his hobby as a church bellringer. It was great to remake his acquaintance. I loved those Birmetals days. I hope that you are fit and well. I wish that I had maintained contact with Alan Parr after he moved to Ireland.

Mike Freer.... Yes I do remember Pat Daniels. She was working in the met Lab while I was in Charge. David Stratford a member of the lab was idlely tapping a 2lb hammer on a work bench and suggested as an off hand remark for her to put her hand under the hammer. This she did resulting in a broken finger!!!

David Stratford, as you probably know, went on to get a PhD in respect of a new Magnesium alloy that he created containing zinc and manganese. It could be age hardened. C.J. Smith took great pride in this but sadly it corroded as you watched it. 'Strat', as we called him, went on to be a lecturer at Birmingham University.
Sorry about mentioning metallurgy - normally never do these days. The most important thing is people and events. You must remember Clive James, who went to work in inspection, with George Lineker, well he lives quite close to me. I also became friendly with the photographer in the Met Lab, Geoff Webb, from Sedgley. Always remember him coming to work on a Lambretta. Sorry if I am boring you.

Last edited:
Considering Birmetals, it would be great to accumulate a collection of photographs, not of a personal nature, that we can share to refresh our memories. Clearly a lot of us, and I was an apprentice, were shaped and influenced by our experiences at Birmetals. When I consider industry and employment for young people today, I feel privileged to have had the good fortune to be a Birmetals apprentice. In my case it came about as I was waiting for my exam results. One of my school friends told me that he wanted to be a metallurgist. 'Never heard of it', I said, 'What will you do?' 'Well I'll work in a laboratory and do experiments'. As physics, chemistry and maths were my best subjects, I thought, 'That's just the job for me'.

I was out for a walk and saw Birmetals. There used to be a phone box near the Old Crown Pub. I phoned Birmetals and was put through to Personnel, managed by Captain (Stan) Harrison and was told about apprenticeships. 'You will have to get your parents to sign for you'. In due course, it was my first day at Birmetals. We started in September, immediately after the school holidays. There were at least 20 of us on that induction day.

Harold White decided I should start with Charlie Higgs, who did the macro inspections in the casting shop and No.1 and No.2 extrusion departments. Being polite I called him Mr Higgs but he soon told me to call him Charlie. You could not ask for a better induction. Charlie was a lovable rogue - a real character. Besides doing the work, we would walk into managers offices where he would have a chat, scrounge a cigarette etc, and then we would be drinking afternoon tea with the managers.

After a period of instruction, Charlie would leave me to do the macros. Being keen to impress, I tidied up and re-organised the macro facility in the Foundry, besides chatting up Whymper's (Casting Shop Manager) secretary at the tea urn and arranging a date. She was doing a secretarial course at Halesowen College, two nights each week and I would meet her and walk her home. Life was going well and I was on the road to being a 'scientist'.

As apprentices, we moved between various departments. I think it was six months in each. Looking back, it was a superb scheme. I always had great affection for Charlie and the 'booze ups' we enjoyed. Charlie, at one time, was vexed by Stan Harrison (Personnel Manager), calling himself 'Captain'. Charlie must have deliberately engineered a slight confrontation, in my presence. He spoke to 'Captain' as Stan, upon which Stan told him it was Captain Harrison. Charlie took out a box from his lab coat and showed Stan his DFC and said, well you can call me Flight Lieutenant Higgs. Stan was stunned!

There are many more stories, but it was a great introduction to adult life.

Hello Mick. When were you at Birmetals, I was there from 1952-1959. Your reminising brings back so many memories. At our reunions we get up to 9 ex apprentices attending but this year I am hoping for a few more. Any who you are in touch with please let me know with an email address and I will add them to the list. Met Clive James a couple of months ago and he was well. Unfortunately we lost Bob Dyer, an engineering apprentice just before our last get together but pleased that his son Bill attended in his absence.

I came to Birmetals in about 1962, so you had left, but I stayed until closure in 1980. Clive James lives quite close to me and introduced me to Halesowen Athletic Club, where I am still a member. Sad to hear about the loss of Bob Dyer and others. Do you remember Dennis Whyley in NDT? Well Dennis died 3 or 4 years ago. I am so pleased to be making contact with former Birmetals people. It was a great place. Best wishes, Mick. Just a thought - I wonder whether you knew the tall chap in the Engineers, Dick ?, who left to run his own garage near Stourbridge?

Hi Mick, I remember Dennis Whyley very well, quite a character. Was it Dick Pickering that you were thinking of? Nearer to the first week in December when we have our get together, any other ex Apprentices that you can get in touch with, then please let me have their email addresses to add to our list and they will be most welcome to come along.

Back