• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmid

I hope no one will mind me posting this here as strictly speaking Im out of the Birmingham boundary by I guess, a few miles.

Does anyone here have any connections with "The Birmid" it always seemed that local people always used the definite article when referring to it.

I worked for Dartmouth Auto Castings, who had three foundries in the area, the most recent opened in , I believe, 1965 and designed specifically for the productin of shell moulded crankshafts using S.G./ Nodular iron.

No3 was virtually in Brum anyway as it was half way down Raybone lane and is still in operation as Darcast Crankshafts and claiming to be formed in the 1930s, which to my mind is stretching the imagination a bit.

Effectivly they have adopted the history of the original Birmid owned concern and used it as their own (norty). Other foundries all within the group where............

Midland Motor Cylinder (MMC) Birmingham Aluminium Castings (BAC)

Pneulec was also part of the group and other plants existed in and around the area.

Production was all directly for the Motor Industry and all the Major car and tractor manufacturers would have been supplied with either S.G. or Grey Iron castings and not forgetting the Aluminium ones from BAC.

I seem to remember the groups own newspaper (Pivot) covering the fact that BAC cast the aluminium wheels for "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and Birmabright, at Clapgate, Quinton, made the aluminium used for the land Rover panels.

Sorry if it not totally related but after all Smethwick is only "up the road"

Hello everyone, I've just discovered this forum and my father Duncan Hazleton worked at Birmetals for about 30 years in the electrical maintenance. Just wondered if anybody on here remembers him?
Thanks

Does anyone have a photo of BAC Dartmouth rd, I worked as a fitter from 1975- 1986. Some names I remember, George Garbett, Derrick Carey, Bob Lambert, Ken Viney, Kevin Grice, Alan Teague, Charlie Ploughman, Doug Jesson, David England, Pat O’ Sullivan, John Miles, George Gator, Arthur Motram, Frank Davies, Ray Peach, Dick Griffiths, Terry Hudson, Freddie Sherwood, Dickybowdes,

Local History-----A young girl named Betty Sudale , in the mid 50"s used to deliver milk by pony and trap from the local farm to Birmetals. She later worked for the company
I was born/lived, next door to the Sudale family, in Stonehouse Lane.... May & Harry Sudale (Bettys mom & dad) were my god mother & godfather.. Betty, then went on to marry Bill Gossage..

The biggest attraction at the Birmetal's Industries' sports day proves to be a helicopter, Woodgate, Ist September 1957.

Birmingham at Work.

IMG_0502.jpeg

The biggest attraction at the Birmetal's Industries' sports day proves to be a helicopter, Woodgate, Ist September 1957.

Birmingham at Work.

View attachment 182177
I was thinking I was there but my dad had left Birmetals by that time. I remember being at an event when a helicopter landed on the sports field in Woodgate. I think it was bringing the Marquis of Exeter, the chairman of Birmid to the sports day. This helicopter is landing inside the works perimeter. People would not have been allowed this close nowadays. I have been at another event with a dignitary arriving by helicopter and nobody was allowed anywhere near the flight path.

I was at the Birmetal's, when a helicopter landed but cannot remember the date, I have said befor that my dad ran the social club and we went to all the sports days and Christmas's and bonfire nights in the 50's, they also had a pantomime when Mr pastry came one year, it was a wonderful period when some company's really looked after there employee's, the pay might not have been great but the perks were!!!

Back