• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Birmid

My father in law assures me that this is where they were taken. He is on Photo 1 standing at the back by the wall. He is wearing glasses and is in line with the lamp. He looks like he has flowers in his lapel but I think this is damage on the photo. He can identify a couple of they people but it is a long time age. Members of your Forum who were there around that time may identify some of them. Regards John

My father in law assures me that this is where they were taken. He is on Photo 1 standing at the back by the wall. He is wearing glasses and is in line with the lamp. He looks like he has flowers in his lapel but I think this is damage on the photo. He can identify a couple of they people but it is a long time age. Members of your Forum who were there around that time may identify some of them. Regards John
Superb. I think I can recognise Len Wilson, from the Engineers and possibly Arthur Horton.

My dad got his gold watch - for 25 years at the Birmid! Made redundant sometime in the 70's (I think).
Would be nice to hear from anyone who knew him.
Arthur Edward Powell .... Glover Street, West Brom then Charlemont Farm.

Hi all. My Great Uncles Albert and Arthur Corns were metal polishers at Birmid, (what did that involve) in 1939, I assume they worked here until retirement / ill health, I wonder if any of you knew them? Albert died on 17 February 1981 aged 68, Arthur on 8 April 1981 aged 59. Look forward to hearing from you.

Harold White, Birmetals
Do any of you remember Harold? He was the Chief Metallurgist. He died recently and his funeral will take place on Thursday 12th of October, 2:15 p.m. at St. Mary's Church, Church Road, Old Swinford, Stourbridge, DY8 2HA. We believe Harold was about 90. He was a keen campanologist. Here is a picture of Harold at the Laboratory dinner in 1964.

Attachments

• Birmetals Laboratory dinner about 1964-UPDATED 2014.jpg
    Birmetals Laboratory dinner about 1964-UPDATED 2014.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 34
HELP PLEASE

Does anybody remember Bob Stokes?

Has anybody got any information about the work done by maintenance fitters?

If you can help please would you contact Kevin Johnson post a reply here. Thank you.

Last edited:
I came across this site quite by accident when I was net surfing over Christmas. I was just blown away. I did my mechanical apprenticeship at Birmetals starting in 1970. After completing my time ( I was Apprentice of the year in 1974. My younger brother won it three years later. I wonder what happened to that cup? ) I was placed in the maintenance team as a fitter in the Casting Shop which was actually a plum post as we got a shilling an hour dirt money on top of our base of one pound an hour! Some names and other things I can remember follow. Where I cannot remember full names I have put a ( ? ). Some names I have just plain forgotten. There were many more.
Casting shop maintenance teams.
Mechanical. Foreman Pat Maceever. Chargehands. Alan Cash ( left to go to Cadburys ) Roger Gibson.
Fitters Keith Kimmons ( that's me), Bert Lambert, Ronnie Waters, Arthur Lowe, Bill Longmuir. Alan Glassford ( M shop )

Electrical. Foreman. Ernie Bache.
Fitter Les Gibson. ( father of Roger )

Rolling Mill.
For obvious reasons the maintenance team there was know as "The Heavy Gang "
Foreman. Alec Macdonald. Chargehand Charlie Hewitt.
Fitters Alf Bradley, Stan Blackford, Warwick Bourne, Trevor Davis, Terry Emerson, Dave Gubbins,

S Mill
Foreman Dave Nichols. Chargehand Peter Taylor ( I think )
Fitters. Ron Palmer, John Reeve, Les ( ? )

Extrusion Shop.
Foreman Norm ( ? )
Thats all I can remember. Never spent much time there.

Tube Mill
The only one I can remember is a fitter called Wilf ( ? ) who suffered a horrific hand/wrist injury when a piece of machinery fell.

Some other random names.

Mickie Rose . Fitter
Eddie Gill ( Apprentice) suffered a serious brain jury travelling home from Mickie Rose stag night.
Geoff Burtoft, Chief Engineer.
Arthur Cook Deputy Chief Engineer
Bill Fraser , Engineer
Malcolm Peasgood , Personnel Manager
Stan Sheasby, Works manager
John Madden, Fitter
Arthur Williams. Apprentice Training Manager
Freddie Whitfield. Electrical Apprentice Training Manager.
Sheila ( ? ) General Stores
Des Morgan, Union Convener , known as "Red Des " for obvious reasons.
Eddie Siviter , apprentice with me.
Rob Joyner , Pipefitting Apprentice.
Jimmie Gilber, Electrical Apprentice.
Guyas Uddin Islam, Apprentice. Got sent down for armed robbery!
Austen Plant, Engineer.
Wally Beard, Safety Officer
Davie Johnston , Launder maker/ greaser

Thats all I can remember for now. No doubt more names will come to me later. I left in 1976 to join the Fire Service and then migrated to Australia with my new wife. Best move I ever made in my life. I later got into the Explosives Industry there with ICI. I have since worked all over the world with them before taking redundancy. I finished up as their senior Safety Manager. I then spent 15 years in Indonesia in a similar role but am now in Cambodia but still in safety.

What I learned at Birmetals during my apprenticeship has stayed with me all my life, tenacity, accuracy, honesty and hard work.

Hope some of you enjoyed reading this.

Welcome Quinton Boy. That's a great contribution you've made to this thread. Thanks for that, and for such detail ! Please continue to contribute - hopefully it will spark memories in others. And enjoy the forum. Viv.

Hello everyone.
Have just found this website while surfing the net on holiday in Crete.
I worked at Birmetals from 1967 to 1974. The first 5 years as a commercial apprentice based in Accounts in the offices. I remember lots of the names mentioned but would struggle with some of the faces. Anyway here goes, mostly from the offices.
Les Nicholls Accounts
Mr Wilde Cost Accounts
Elsie Talbot Accounts her son Brian worked in the factory I think.
Mr Tay Accountant
Stan Kettle Cost Accounts
Betty the cashier her husband worked in No 3 Extrusion I think Dennis I think surname Riley
Captain Harrison Personnel
Iris Tricklebank Accounts
David Hunter Accountant
Ray Salmon Accountant
Mr Elliott Wages
Norman Naylor Chief Timekeeper
Those are few that come to mind. I was Apprentice of the year, I think in 1971 or 72. Still have a cup in my garage and I think I have a copy of the Group Newspaper with me receiving the cup from Mr Raven.
Like a previous person said those 5 years held me in good stead for the rest of my working life. Many many fond memories.
Regards to all
Kevin Harris

Kevin

You obviously don't remember me (David Grainger) as I was at Birmetals for only a few months in 1971 as Financial Accountant. I shared an office with David Hunter who was the Cost Accountant. I remember some of the names that you mention as they reported to me. By a strange coincidence I was doing the same job that my father had done 25 years before and it was a strange experience finding my father's writing on old records. In the few months that I was there I sorted many problems with the company's accounts recovering a considerable amount of unclaimed money due from the government in overpaid tax and national insurance contributions. (In today's money that would have been in the millions). However one of the directors accused me of exceeding my authority so that cut short my stay with the company. In my time there were two elderly gentlemen in the cashier's office and they recognised my name and remembered my father. To a 27 year old it was strange to be addressed as 'sir' by older men.

Hi there,

I've come across this thread after finding out more about where my grandad worked, his name is Clive James and he was at Birmetals from 1952 until it's closure. He now sadly has very advanced dementia and is nearing the end of his life, I know he was involved in many social events and any memories you have would be a great comfort to my grandma and perhaps trigger something for my grandad.

best wishes

rhys

Hi there,

I've come across this thread after finding out more about where my grandad worked, his name is Clive James and he was at Birmetals from 1952 until it's closure. He now sadly has very advanced dementia and is nearing the end of his life, I know he was involved in many social events and any memories you have would be a great comfort to my grandma and perhaps trigger something for my grandad.

best wishes

rhys
I remember your grandfather Clive James very well indeed during my time at Birmetals from 1952-1959 when I was an apprentice there and spent the last four years in the Laboratories. Clive worked in the Physical Testing Lab and all ways had a smile on his face, added to a very warm and friendly personality. He was also an extremely good runner as demonstrated on the Annual Sports Day . I was all ways behind him. I last saw Clive about two years ago at the regular Friday coffee mornings held in the Church Hall in Halesowen together with another ex apprentice Dereck Simmons. My very best wishes and thoughts go to Clive and family at this very difficult time. My proper name is Jim Harris.

I remember your grandfather Clive James very well indeed during my time at Birmetals from 1952-1959 when I was an apprentice there and spent the last four years in the Laboratories. Clive worked in the Physical Testing Lab and all ways had a smile on his face, added to a very warm and friendly personality. He was also an extremely good runner as demonstrated on the Annual Sports Day . I was all ways behind him. I last saw Clive about two years ago at the regular Friday coffee mornings held in the Church Hall in Halesowen together with another ex apprentice Dereck Simmons. My very best wishes and thoughts go to Clive and family at this very difficult time. My proper name is Jim Harris.

I have just had a very sad phone call this morning,Tuesday 7th May, to say that Clive passed away in the early hours of this morning. On behalf of all who knew Clive I would like to pass on our condolences and deepest sympathy to Clive's family at this very difficult time.

also on behalf of everyone on birmingham history forum sincere condolences to ryhs and family for the loss of his grandad clive james....

lyn

26 Jul 1980 Wolverhampton Archives...Express and Star photo Archive...

MPs Leslie Huckfield (Nuneaton) Peter Snape (West Bromwich East) John Sever (Ladywood) Jeff Rooker (Perry Barr) and Peter Archer (Warley West) head the march of over 200 sacked workers over loss of jobs. Banner waving marchers were led by Irish piper Tom

0A67BF69-869C-48F8-BD8B-BC418741BCAE.jpeg

Hello clubsie,

thanks for the conformation regarding that picture Alf posted, I thought it was BAC in my response to the interesting picture, it looked to clean to be any of the Iron Foundries!!

As I think I have mentioned I worked for Dartmouth Auto Castings they had three large Iron Foundries in the Smethwick/West Bromwich area. I worked at both the Dartmouth Road plant and the Rabone Lane plant and pccasionally at No2 plant on the Border between West Brom and Smethwick. In 1977 the powers to be decided to get up to date and install a vaccuum spectrometer this would allow far more rapid determination of the various elements that made up the Iron alloy and would also allow for more elements to be analysed. Prior to the spectrograph installation all the analysis was carried out using the classic "wet" methods ie real chemistry but using the "analoid" method ie using pre weighted tablets so that constant weighting out of the various reagents was reduced but this still was both time consuming and required chemists that could work both accurately and rapidly, the latter was something that we did day in day out but it was heavy on man power and the spectrograph would allow some staff to take up responsibilities elswhere, it did not cause any job loses.

A colleague and myself were given the job , under the Chief Chemist, Frank Hooper, to get the spectrograph running and we did eventually manage just that but we used to pop over to pick the brains of the chief operator over the road at MMC, this meant nipping via the main entry to BAC, there was a superb display case in the foyer with polished Aluminium castings on display and a commisionaire in full uniform. The other thing I remember was the smell of what I assume was polish, it had a sort of nice clean minty smell to it.
i was a electrician at dac. what a dirty job. one day i walked on a load of bead blast.that had been spilt, i fell on my back.and was winded for a while. the money they payed was good but not enough of it. lol

I hope no one will mind me posting this here as strictly speaking Im out of the Birmingham boundary by I guess, a few miles.

Does anyone here have any connections with "The Birmid" it always seemed that local people always used the definite article when referring to it.

I worked for Dartmouth Auto Castings, who had three foundries in the area, the most recent opened in , I believe, 1965 and designed specifically for the productin of shell moulded crankshafts using S.G./ Nodular iron.

No3 was virtually in Brum anyway as it was half way down Raybone lane and is still in operation as Darcast Crankshafts and claiming to be formed in the 1930s, which to my mind is stretching the imagination a bit.

Effectivly they have adopted the history of the original Birmid owned concern and used it as their own (norty). Other foundries all within the group where............

Midland Motor Cylinder (MMC) Birmingham Aluminium Castings (BAC)

Pneulec was also part of the group and other plants existed in and around the area.

Production was all directly for the Motor Industry and all the Major car and tractor manufacturers would have been supplied with either S.G. or Grey Iron castings and not forgetting the Aluminium ones from BAC.

I seem to remember the groups own newspaper (Pivot) covering the fact that BAC cast the aluminium wheels for "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and Birmabright, at Clapgate, Quinton, made the aluminium used for the land Rover panels.

Sorry if it not totally related but after all Smethwick is only "up the road"

Bill our company moved from Henrietta St Birmingham 1984 to Kenrick Way West Bromwich , a couple of my colleagues used to use the Birmid canteen at lunchtime , glowing reports came back about the food the service and also the price as I believe the canteen was subsidised would I be right ?

Jeff Rooker is still doing alright out of politics, he's Lord Rooker now and probably still drawing his £300 a day 'expenses'.

Jeff Rooker was the peer who formally introduced the bill in the House of Lords that was so contentious last week about delaying Brexit although I don't think he said much more than just the formalities of moving the motion.

Back