• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Bell Marston Green.

robert

master brummie
I have Just driven past the Bell pub to find it boarded up. Cant imagine it closing as it allways seems to be busy.

Ah, The Bell, Marston Green brings back memories. As children we would walk from Carlton Road, off Green Lane, Small Heath, up Green Lane. We passed The Samsom pub with tjhe large clock on the wall and then down Yardley Green Road to the Fever Hospital (now East B'ham Hospital) We dallied for a while to read the list, posted on the gate, of patients who could not be visited giving their latest state of health. Then to the bridge over the River Cole. Sometimes that was the end of our walk as we paddled or tried to catch stickleback. Many a time we carried on through The Dingle and thence to Old Yardley Church. We carried on through the park and along The Radleys passing under the narrow railway bridge and reaching The Bell at Marston Green. Here we wouild rest for awhile sitting on the wall outside and then off, over the fields, to Chelmsley Woods. Sometimes we picked bluebells (now against the law) or juat played in the woods. We then made our way home over the same route. At home we got told off by Mum for being out all day without her knowing where we had gone. Such happy days. Will they ever return? I fear not.

Old Boy

Mom & Dad owned a bungalow in Bell Lane and then later they moved and bought one of the shops opposite the Bell pub,the middle one in the block I think, which Mom ran whilst Dad worked at Mulliners the car body builders, during the war when there was a shortage drinking glasses both Mom & Dad had their own half pint and pint pewter tankards at the pub for when they went over for a drink, I still have them both. Sad to see it boarded up.
Regards Chris Bryan

Chris that's a great story , I moved in to bell lane in 68 when I was four, it was the first house on the opposite side to the bell after the bungalows , my parents still live there, the first shop during the 70,s was a small grocers/ sweet shop called Sharps, do you remember it . Do you have any pictures of the bungalow or the shops from back then, it would be great to see them.

Sorry changinman1 no pics of Bell Lane, I think I have some photos of when they had a bungalow in Cooks lane when it was a lane next door to Allcots farm.

Just went on Google maps and saw the Bell Pub Marston Green, Can't tell if it still in business or not The word Bell has the last L falling down a bit? Spent many happy hours in the Bell. John Crump OldthirstyBrit.Parker, Colorado USA

We was in there a few weeks ago, its now called the Gingertree, indian restaurant. We enjoyed it and I can reccomend it.

Terry

@changinman1 Just come across this thread referring to Sharps (or was it Sharpes?) the grocer opposite The Bell Marston Green (although could also be classed as Tile Cross!). Me and my school chums used to buy sweets there. It was ran by the husband and his wife as I recall. We used to get Wine Gums and pretend they were really alcoholic lol. Happy days,

My uncle Reg Hardy was the licensee of the Bell in the late 60's. I remember going with my cousins to watch them when they started building Chelmsley. Can anyone remember the name of the sweet factory that was next door to the Bell?

Ah, The Bell, Marston Green brings back memories. As children we would walk from Carlton Road, off Green Lane, Small Heath, up Green Lane. We passed The Samsom pub with tjhe large clock on the wall and then down Yardley Green Road to the Fever Hospital (now East B'ham Hospital) We dallied for a while to read the list, posted on the gate, of patients who could not be visited giving their latest state of health. Then to the bridge over the River Cole. Sometimes that was the end of our walk as we paddled or tried to catch stickleback. Many a time we carried on through The Dingle and thence to Old Yardley Church. We carried on through the park and along The Radleys passing under the narrow railway bridge and reaching The Bell at Marston Green. Here we wouild rest for awhile sitting on the wall outside and then off, over the fields, to Chelmsley Woods. Sometimes we picked bluebells (now against the law) or juat played in the woods. We then made our way home over the same route. At home we got told off by Mum for being out all day without her knowing where we had gone. Such happy days. Will they ever return? I fear not.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, they are lovely memories of times gone by when kids could roam around and we often did. Our family often walked to Chelmsley woods and picked bluebells and had picnics there. Wow you walked a lot farther than we did , we lived in Sheldon and went through the King George the 5th playing fields and past the end of elmdon airport to Marston Green. The family often stopped at the Bell for lemonade and crisps, wonderful memories before heading home with armfuls of bluebells. No, days like that will never return I would never have let my kids go off for the day alone, the world has changed so much. Oh, just noticed what you said, I didnt know it is now against the law to pick bluebells! That is just silly....such an innocent enjoyment!
Wendy

I have Just driven past the Bell pub to find it boarded up. Cant imagine it closing as it allways seems to be busy.

Oops sorry Robert didnt realise this post was so old, does anyone know what happened to the bell inn was it boarded up for renovations? Wendy

Hi Wendy, it's now an Indian restaurant unless that is closed which I don't think it is! I personally have fond memories of The Bell. I used to go there early eighties with my cousin Mark and it was always a happy, busy place especially in the summer. I really don't know why it went downhill and, if anyone knows, I'd be interested to find out. This resulted in it being boarded up for some time. BTW Wendy, I agree with the way the world has changed. So sad. It's now a much dangerous place and so different to how I imagined how the future would be when I was young. Oh well ....

Gary

Yes in the 80/90's when my Wife was alive my daughter and son-in-law would regularly come for Sunday lunch, Alan, my son-in-law and I would take a walk to the Bell for a drink, a lovely pub (to me better than anything in Chelmsley Wood.)
Happy days, sadly gone for ever. Eric

Hi Wendy, it's now an Indian restaurant unless that is closed which I don't think it is! I personally have fond memories of The Bell. I used to go there early eighties with my cousin Mark and it was always a happy, busy place especially in the summer. I really don't know why it went downhill and, if anyone knows, I'd be interested to find out. This resulted in it being boarded up for some time. BTW Wendy, I agree with the way the world has changed. So sad. It's now a much dangerous place and so different to how I imagined how the future would be when I was young. Oh well ....

Gary

Oh that is a shame. not that I dont like and indian curry but a shame such a nice pub has now gone ...but that is change I guess. Thank you for the update Gary.
Wendy

My "aunt", mrs Skinner lived opposite the Bell. In 64. Used to walk down the lane that ran at the back of the sweet factory.

my nan and aunt both lived in bell lane...nan had the downstairs flat and aunt had the upstairs...happy days of visiting them as a young girl ...aunt and uncle would often take me into the gardens of the bell...

lyn

Back