• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Bell Inn

Cassy
You are looking for Prices are you?
I am combining this thread with the other Bell thread

Cassy
You are looking for Prices are you?
I am combining this thread with the other Bell thread

Yes, I am looking for Price's thanks. I was feeling a bit "fuzzy" this morning and totally forgot I'd already posted on this thread, so thanks for combining them! Cassy

No sign of any Prices in the list below, though it does not cover every year, so there could be one in the missing years

Landlords listed in Kellys (year below is year of publication and is likely to refer to landlord of previous year):

1860-1873 David Edge

1876-1882 Mrs Elizabeth Edge

1883-1896 William Houldey

1897 Albert Dunn

1899-1900 James Foster

1903-1904 John H.Cruise

1905-1910 Hart Pilling

1912-1915 Mark Walker

1921 John Henry Horton

1924 Henry Thomas Frederick

1932 Ernest Barlow

1933-1946 Lawrence McEnroe

1947-1959 Albert Edward Sanders

1955-56 George Newman

No sign of any Prices in the list below, though it does not cover every year, so there could be one in the missing years

Landlords listed in Kellys (year below is year of publication and is likely to refer to landlord of previous year):

1860-1873 David Edge

1876-1882 Mrs Elizabeth Edge

1883-1896 William Houldey

1897 Albert Dunn

1899-1900 James Foster

1903-1904 John H.Cruise

1905-1910 Hart Pilling

1912-1915 Mark Walker

1921 John Henry Horton

1924 Henry Thomas Frederick

1932 Ernest Barlow

1933-1946 Lawrence McEnroe

1947-1959 Albert Edward Sanders

1955-56 George Newman

Thanks so much, that's fabulous! I am waiting to hear from a relative who is 80 now and knew the Price's who lived in Northfield well - it might be that they had a connection to someone you have listed so that is really useful. Many thanks again. Cassy

The bell pub on the corner of bells lane where the heart foundtion charity shop now stands was the second bell
and this pub was closed down by the police and the licence committee of birmingham for good and never to be openend again as a pub
from the very day they openend that pub on the corner of bels lane it becamme a public nuisance to every body of the Northfield
business,s and it became a known for as a chequerd pub by the brewery because of the trouble of fights and drunks
and the main serious trouble was the druggs dealing and lack of control by the said time of its appointed manager ; licencee
whom was a weak person in his work and could not control the ruff necks and the scum that frequented the pub daily
he just could not handle it nor eject the unwanted ones and the gangs that taken over it
It came to a point that these druggies and scum would come in on a daily basis and put up pub tables out side the pub
and start selling the goods they had shop lifted from local shops the biggest sales of any think was joints of meat stolen from varuios
stores daily this had been going on for ages the police had been involved numerous times over the years
and every time a police officiers attend your pub for what reason its recorded and it marks your card for renewal of licence
and you go to court so as time marched on both partys called it a day the committee and the licence officier
for that are which was rose road harborne police station licence officier called time and banned it licence
never to reopen again as a pub and it remained like that for ages the it was the heart foundation took the property on
and the bell never excisted any more
as we moved on in time the Next pub in line was the travellers rest just along from the bell bristol road
only to find the riff raff had traped down to there ,and start there business again out comes the pub tables and yes stocks of meat joints for sale out side for sale, this only came about when the oringinal gather from the travellers rest got promoted
to another pub because of his good hard work they decide to send another gather from a pub in northfield
an very inexperience man whom really never had any hard pubs works in is life
the kings head varden way was his first and only pub in his life he was a lorry driver before coming into the pub
the travellers was a very big pub and that need experience persons to run it
but the brewery failed to see it , i can also say when he took on the kings head the first thing the silly person done was to remove the juke box there was no music and he removed the pool table , yes i agrre on the table but not the juke box for music
soo in order to get shut of him they sent him to the travelles and he could not handle it so he went
liuckily for the brewery the council came up with the changing of the bristol road change over so they got conpulsery payments
so thats why the travellers rest had closed down as well so thats why it was closed down for a good while before the road
workers came and digging the road
so thats what happenend to the bell and thats why it went they altered the ground levek but kept the top wher there used to be a bell in there Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,
No Mention Of The Dukes Here ?

No Mention Of The Dukes Here ?

I used the Dukes when it first opened under the Northfield shopping centre in the early 70's. We often popped over there from the Bell if we wanted a quiet night, because at that time I think the largest number of people I ever saw in there was around 6.

HI Good evening to you casy, i am just doing a follow through tonight on the threads
and the one in particular regards the Bell Inn and i haveyour your thread with intresrt and i have to say with a smile
the picture card you have put up which i beleive it was with your fathers possesions i do not dispute what you are saying indeed
By any lenghts and i knowyou have a post card you have shown
casy, all i want to say is i have got a book on old photographs, and its called
Birmingham Inns and pubs and they are on old post cards published by john marks yesterday,s warickshire series no 5
you have said on your card its saying the Bell
but my picture shows the identicle the same photo but it states it,s the bull Inn and the licenceeis named as Hart Pilling,
Pictured in 1908, on a card published by Edwards and co, New Street birmingham in there clarance series
and the pub was on Bristol road, northfield at it,s junction with Bell lane
as yours got a date of year on it,
i will send down a copy of it on the forum all being well this time of night best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,
here it is,,
I have that picture Not my description.

1617110381755.png

Back