• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the beehive soho hill hockley

Hello JUDY, I have just read all the new posts and now realise why my Dad never made much money with all those "empties" he was paying out for. I will send an e-mail with my sister`s phone number. Yours, Allan.

Hello JUDY, I forgot to mention that if you look at the photograph I posted, in the right hand window you can see my sister looking out to see what was going on. Allan.

Hi Allan

I can just about see your sister looking out of the window, but not very clearly. How old would she have been in 1954?

Judy

What an awful shame, i know that homeless people had been living in there, so maybe there could be a connection.:(

Considering the state that the pub had deteriorated into it was no big surprise, but very sad to see for those of us who remember it when it was a friendly and thriving little pub. Not that I ever drank in there but my Dad did! He would have been shocked to see the state it had got into.

Fire seems to have been at the rear of the pub. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 23
viv i got in at the rear to take those photos.. easy enough but a bit dodgy...would not risk it now thats for sure...as i said i reckon this fire has finished off any hope of retaining this pub..

hi folks managed to get out to take some pics today of the beehive after its recent fire...front roof totally collapsed now...

Attachments

• soho hill and birm arms 001.JPG
    soho hill and birm arms 001.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 16
  • soho hill and birm arms 002.JPG
    soho hill and birm arms 002.JPG
    722.5 KB · Views: 16
the two buildings to the right have had boards around for some time now and i was told that the homeless have been using it..

Attachments

• soho hill and birm arms 008.JPG
    soho hill and birm arms 008.JPG
    764.9 KB · Views: 7
the two buildings to the right have had boards around for some time now and i was told that the homeless have been using it..
Thanks for posting the photos Lyn. I was just going to ask if you knew why there were boards in front of the houses to the right. I wondered if they were something to do with the fire. I remember playing with a boy with the surname of Bennett who used to live in one of those when I was little, can't remember his first name! Is the area due for redevelopment?

and here is one of the beehive in its heyday also showing is the house to the righ of it with its lovely garden..

Attachments

• beehive pub soho hill.jpg
    beehive pub soho hill.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 19
hi judy no idea if the area is up for redevopement and to be honest if it was within a few years it would most likely be as bad as it is now...the boards are nothing to do with the fire i think they must have been put there to try and keep out the homeless but of course that did not work as they managed to get in through the back way and if you look you can see that part of the house roof is caving in now...i also ambled down to the old pally will post photos of that on the pally thread..so sad to have witness what i see in this area..

Hello JUDY, were you thinking of someone called Malcolm Bennett who lived further down towards the Roebuck pub on the same side as the Beehive and just past Park Avenue. If so his Father features on post 47 "Beehive Regulars" on the other thread, second from the left. He was an optician with a shop on Icknield St towards the flat. Allan

Hello JUDY, were you thinking of someone called Malcolm Bennett who lived further down towards the Roebuck pub on the same side as the Beehive and just past Park Avenue. If so his Father features on post 47 "Beehive Regulars" on the other thread, second from the left. He was an optician with a shop on Icknield St towards the flat. Allan

Hello Allan. I can't find the thread Beehive Regulars - can you tell me how to find it please? It is possible that the boy's name was Malcolm but I only knew his nickname (which I won't post here :)) It would be in the late 40s/early 50s.

I see people mentioning 'Kelly's' but I tried looking for it but I'm sure it said that it is no longer working but don't quote me lol

Kellys directories as paper editions were published for Birmingham up till 1973. Some are available either online or through purchase of digital. copies

Back