• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The beehive pub

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi pub crawlers
how many of you can recall a pub called the bee hive everybodys
little local it was sitated on the corner of nechells place
and bloomsbury street nechells always played darts with a coule of guys by the family names of whills and the cumming,s
and i used to guy fork out side there when i was a little whipper snapper i seen a few guys stagger out of there especial the wek ends and most certainly friday nights ,,pay day of course, when jobs was plenty and when you went down to get the coke from the gas works in four foot of snow queing upand nobbling and pushing our uncle joes wheel barrow he made uncle joe was my fathers brother he lived white house st aston cor. They was the days life was a slower pace of life as to what it is today .
Best wishes astonian;;;;

It was my dads local up until he died in 1948.
Courtesy of Carl Chinn.

Attachments

• Rocky-Lane-Bloomsbury-Street-Nechells-Place-[1].jpg
    Rocky-Lane-Bloomsbury-Street-Nechells-Place-[1].jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 16
My gtgtgrandfather died on the 28/08/1876 at 1/158 Bloomsbury street. The doctor was called after Isaac was found dead in bed , the doctor informed the coroner as it was a sudden death. The coroner then asked the local policeman to find 14 lawful men of the Borough to attend the inquest, which was to be held in the Beehive pub on the 30/08/1876. The result of the inquest was that Isaac had a fit " & then suddenly did die"....at which point following the inquest they probably all had a glass of beer !!! The paperwork for this inquest makes fascinating reading...

Margaret.

Hello Margaret - I have just read this thread - was your g g grandfather Isaac Axhorn? If so we have a connection, he was my g g grandfather too.

Craig

Hi Beehive related--anyone remember two young girls(women) who frequented the pub say 1948-1960 Brenda Lovett and Lily Veraca apparently they were well known. As they are now 78 and 79 respectively I`m not sure there are many left now who will remember them?xmas 54

I'm interested to find the name Veraca mentioned in his thread, does anyone know of anything about the Veraca family? I believe they had a flower business in Birmingham in the 1920/ 30's.

Just re-adding the photo as it looks like John hasn't had the time, it's from the same source as John's Carl Chinn's excellent site Birmingham Lives.

Attachments

• Nechells The Beehive Nechells Place Bloomsbury Street 1960.jpg
    Nechells The Beehive Nechells Place Bloomsbury Street 1960.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 31
Back