• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Beehive Department Store/Shop/ also Binnie Becca'a........can you tell me about t

N

New Romantic Gal

Hi All,
Does anyone have any info on The Beehive and/or Binnie Becca......where they were, what they sold etc. My Husband and myself both remember the Names but not where they were or much about them.......Please Help!!!!!

Re: The Beehive Department Store/Shop/ also Binnie Becca'a........can you tell me abo

Welcome New Romantic Gal, The Beehive Stors was in Albert St, type Beehive into search for interesting threads. Len.

Re: The Beehive Department Store/Shop/ also Binnie Becca'a........can you tell me abo

Bini Becca was by Oasis somewhere I think.

Bev Bevan, and I think Jeff lynne worked at Beehive for a bit. I'm sure somebody on here will shout up if I'm wrong.

The original Beehive was in Moor Street, and when I had my son in 1959 my dad bought the pram from the Beehive for him. Later they moved to near The Cabin pub, was it Priory Circus, the Beehive folded then it was a Tesco store, non food. Bini Beca was in the old Kean & Scott shop, corner of Priory Circus/Corporation Street, opposite Lewises. My sister and I had a stall in there called Budget Beauty selling cosmetics and toileteries, this was 1976, the Bini Beca venture wasn't very successful and we pulled out after a few months, managing to sell the stall on. The owner named the store Bini Beca after an island off Spain where he and his family had happy holidays.

The Beehive Department Store, I always thought of it as the last of the true old fashioned department stores. A little like Grace Brothers of "Are you being served" fame.

Phil

CityMoorStBeehive1946.jpg

I now realise I was wrong saying the Beehive was in Moor Street, I got it mixed up with Moor Street Warehouse, another interesting place to shop.

My friend is looking on this thread with me as she worked at the Store 1956 for 10 years her memories are "i started in soft furnishings then moving to nursery dept i do not recall jeff lynn.I do recall Bev Bevan and Jasper Carrott .a good friend was LINDA PARKER I would like to know what became of her my name then was TERESA MOLLOY .

I thought this may be of interest. Max

I can remember Enids brother working as a carpet fitter at BMK Warehouse which I think was next door to the
Beehive in Albert Street, he was awarded a Gold watch for 25 years service and not long after they went bust,
Bernard

I remember the Beehive when it was by the Cabin, used to get off the bus there with my mom and nan!! I also remember it being a Tesco as
well.
Sue

Back