• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Beeches Kings Norton Moseley

mark isle of man

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone, thanks for the wonderful information provided by so many on the amazing history of Birmingham. My Great Grandmother was brought up in a house in Mosley, Kings Norton called "The Beeches", it was in Alcester Road. If anyone has any information on this location, to would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

There is an advert in Aug 1893 for the sale of The Beeches, Alcester Rd.
3 reception rooms, 6 chambers, good garden, coach house, stable, conservatory. Price £1,100.

When advertised later in 1900, added to the description are good cellars, two-stall stable and saddle rooms, and large grounds.

The Beeches is quite a common name for a house, but one in Alcester road, just south of the junction with Brighton Road is marked in red o the c1889 map below. It has now been replaced by modern houses

View attachment 148342
Dear Mikejee, thank you very much for this information. We thought the house was on the corner with Trafalgar Road. By chance would there be any record of when the house was demolished? My parents tell me we visited the house in the 1970's but unfortunately we didn't take any photographs. Thank you again! Mark

There is an advert in Aug 1893 for the sale of The Beeches, Alcester Rd.
3 reception rooms, 6 chambers, good garden, coach house, stable, conservatory. Price £1,100.

When advertised later in 1900, added to the description are good cellars, two-stall stable and saddle rooms, and large grounds.
Dear Master Barmmie, this is fantastic information and aligns with when my great grandfather bought the house and as he passed away in 1899, the family selling the house. Would you know if there are any pictures of the house. Thank you again! Mark

Sorry, it was my great, great grandfather James Law who purchased the house. He moved from Cheapside where he and the family lived we believe in the factory premises that he owned. The factory was producing steel toys. We have no idea the name of the company, if anyone may have any idea about this company, information would be greatly appreciated!

The house shown on the 1899 Map is still there in 1948, so there may be a chance of a picture?
Thanks so much. We did visit in the 1970's (I was a child then) and I do recall the driveway and two small statues at either end of the driveway, so hopefully someone has a picture. Much appreciated, Mark

Was the house demolished? The current Google 3D image shows the main frontage of the building may still be intact.
In 1879 it The Beeches is down as James Law and in Alcester Road. Back in 1868 there doesn't seem to be a house of that name, but at that time the houses were in Moseley Road.

. .7ED52C28-7C56-495E-84AF-DFA138E5A015.jpeg

Was the house demolished? The current Google 3D image shows the main frontage of the building may still be intact.
In 1879 it The Beeches is down as James Law and in Alcester Road. Back in 1868 there doesn't seem to be a house of that name, but at that time the houses were in Moseley Road.

. .View attachment 148372
Many thanks and I also checked Google earth and it seems from the map mikejee kindly sent that the property marked in red and the very long garden behind it (which I presume allowed space for the stables) matches the shape of the garden behind the house you kindly sent the frontage of. Seems the house is still there!

Attachments

• THE BEECHES ALCESTER ROAD.png
    THE BEECHES ALCESTER ROAD.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Many thanks and I also checked Google earth and it seems from the map mikejee kindly sent that the property marked in red and the very long garden behind it (which I presume allowed space for the stables) matches the shape of the garden behind the house you kindly sent the frontage of. Seems the house is still there!
Thanks again and I found in the attached 1871 census, James Law and family are residents of "Belgrave St." Does this still exist?

Attachments

• KINGS NORTON 1871 CENSUS BELGRAVE STREET.png
    KINGS NORTON 1871 CENSUS BELGRAVE STREET.png
    237.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BELGRAVE STREET 1871 CENSUS JAMES LAW.png
    BELGRAVE STREET 1871 CENSUS JAMES LAW.png
    440.3 KB · Views: 3
I think they may have lived there in 1871 but in 1896 trade directory there is a listing for:
1600779130378.png
By then they were on the 1891 census as living on Alcester Road. Is this a son?

The site of Belgrave Street is now part of Belgrave Middleway I think and has changed beyond recognition.

I am so sorry everyone - I have been distracted from this for the last month. Now checking in and I'm so amazed with all of the information. Thank you all so much. "pkmburns"many thanks and this James Law is the son of James Law senior, a Steel toy maker who lived on Cheapside. "Pedrocut" many, many thanks to you. The James Law you have found this information on is my Great Great Grandfather (his Father and Grandfather were also called James Law, which has led me down a few incorrect paths)! This James Law had a daughter Rosa Gertrude Law, who married Walter Henry Skillicorn in January 1890. In July 1891 they had a daughter Florence Rita Skillicorn who was my Grandmother. According to my Mother (her daughter), she lived with her Grandparents James Skillicorn and his wife Rebecca Skillicorn at The Beeches, but she never mentioned Ancestor Road, she often talked of Trafalgar Road, so we have been quite confused about this until now! My Mother has always been curious about what happened with The Beeches after James Law died in 1899 N.B. unfortunately none of that money made it down the generations to us :) Our real curiosity though is that in the 1901 census, Rebecca Law (now widowed of course), went to live with her daughters family, and Rosa Gertrude had moved in with a Tom Cheslin Mathews and had one son (and Rosa had taken the name of Matthews even though they were not married). Florence Rita Skillicorn (later calling herself Rita Matthews), does not appear on any census. Her Father moved back in with his Father and Sister: Florence Rita Skillicorn disappeared! We will carry on looking. And thank you mikejee, no worries! Thanks again to all, very much appreciated!

Dear Pedrocut, may I ask if on your copy of the sale announcement of 1900, can you discern the date for the 99 year lease of 179 Belgrave Street starts? 1863? And on the 1869 trade directory pjmburns Kindly supplied, that lists 36 & 38 Belgrade street for James Law. Also, for Ancestor Rd, can you discern again the date for the 99 year lease commencement, 1885? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.24.09.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 18.24.09.png
    391.3 KB · Views: 4
This aerial view dated 1938 appears to show the house marked on the map in post#2. Alcester Road runs from bottom right to centre left. Trafalgar Road runs from centre left to the top of the view. The house has a double entrance drive.
AlcesterRd1938.jpg

An aerial view today shows the house still there.
AlcesterRdhouse.jpg

A street view today.

Dear Pedrocut, may I ask if on your copy of the sale announcement of 1900, can you discern the date for the 99 year lease of 179 Belgrave Street starts? 1863? And on the 1869 trade directory pjmburns Kindly supplied, that lists 36 & 38 Belgrade street for James Law. Also, for Ancestor Rd, can you discern again the date for the 99 year lease commencement, 1885? Thank you!
I would say 1869 but not sure, for the Beeches.
For 179 Belgrave I think 1853.

Last edited:
Back