• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the barrel inn watery lane

Hi Lyn

I have that photo and according to the text with it the photo is dated c1936, which is more likely that 1956 as the Barrel Inn in Watery Lane was replaced by this newer version in the 1950' and this is the one I remember.

Attachments

• Small Heath Barrel Watery Lane.JPG
    Small Heath Barrel Watery Lane.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 48
Another view of Watery Lane that I don't think has been aired on this forum before (or has it?) showing the junction of Keeley St and the Crown & Anchor public house on the right.

Attachments

• Small Heath Crown & Anchor Watery Lane.jpg
    Small Heath Crown & Anchor Watery Lane.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 59
hi folks been given a few photos of watery lane taken in the 50s and 60s so i will be posting them under the watery lane thread as this one is really more about the barrel pub

lyn

Last edited:
Was this picture of "The Barrel" pub the old pub? because in the late 1950 s I played football for a team called St Andrews Colts and our meetings were held in "The Barrel" pub in Watery Lane, and that was a white stone clad building on the corner of Watery Lane and I think it was Adderley Street, there is a picture of old pubs I have seen recently like the one I remember, but I can't remember which site I have seen it on

Was this picture of "The Barrel" pub the old pub? because in the late 1950 s I played football for a team called St Andrews Colts and our meetings were held in "The Barrel" pub in Watery Lane, and that was a white stone clad building on the corner of Watery Lane and I think it was Adderley Street, there is a picture of old pubs I have seen recently like the one I remember, but I can't remember which site I have seen it on

cant be certain but i would say that the photo was of the older pub

lyn

a new one to me...the barrel watery lane/kingston road dated 1956

lyn The picture of "The Barrel" pub must be a very old pub before 1956, because in 1956 I played football for a team called St Andrews Colts, and The Barrel Pub, Watery Lane, was where we held our meetings every week. That pub was a white stone clad pub, on the corner of Watery Lane, and I think Adderley Street. Kingston Road was on the opposite side of Watery Lane to Adderley St. In fact I have recently seen a picture of the Barrel I remember on one of the Birmingham Sites, but I can't remember which One. I am not sure if I am using this site correctly to reply. If not please correct me Bombed out Brummie

hope this helps..this is the pub as it was...it was not demolished until 81 but it was totally revamped as shown on post 41

lyn

Small Heath Barrel Inn Watery Lane.JPG

Just discovered that ancestors on my paternal grandmothers side were resident at the Barrel Tavern. I am presuming they were the landlord and landlady. 1922 and 1925 electoral rolls show them there. This is from 1925 Electoral Roll.

Screenshot 2021-04-29 102440.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-29 102602.jpg

Last edited:
Back