• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Avenue Bristol Rd Birmingham?

janegee

proper brummie kid
In a death certificate for my husbands Gt Aunt her address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol rd Bimringham her brother registered the death he lived at Tinkers Farm Rd Northfield (she incidentally lived with him in 1939). I cant find this address anywhere can anyone help.

In 1964. The Avenue off Bristol Road South. And in 1944 down as Birmingham 31.
Thank you my husband and I still cant work out exactly where it would have been must be Northfield we both grew up there even googled it but couldnt see it.

I can't find it marked on a map but on the 1939 register the entries read:
704 Bristol Road South
4, 5, 3, 1 back of 708
1 to 14 The Avenue (No 6 is Ann Dillon, Arthur Rollins and Albert Stokes)
684 Bristol Road South
A map shows no houses between 704 and 684 as it is marked as tennis courts. So I have narrowed it down

Had to go to 1960s map for numbering. In 1937 layout looks very similar. Yellow is Bristol Road South, Red is Bell Lane and Blue marks Church Road
1621277233378.png

On the 1937 e roll The Avenue is listed between 680 and 676 and that gives me an idea. There are 14 houses listed in The Avenue and the map shows 14 houses behind 680 - I suspect this was The Avenue.
1621277787041.png

i agree jan i thought that when i looked at your first map...wonder if they are still there...struggling to get a street view at the min...

No Lyn.No longer there. I just about remember , I think , the entrance to the Victoria Park which is shown on the map. The back of the houses would have been by the side of it. The area went when they built Sainsburys (now gone)

No Lyn.No longer there. I just about remember , I think , the entrance to the Victoria Park which is shown on the map. The back of the houses would have been by the side of it. The area went when they built Sainsburys (now gone)
yes thanks mike i guessed that was the case i will check my files but its doubtful i have a photo of those houses

lyn

I can't find it marked on a map but on the 1939 register the entries read:
704 Bristol Road South
4, 5, 3, 1 back of 708
1 to 14 The Avenue (No 6 is Ann Dillon, Arthur Rollins and Albert Stokes)
684 Bristol Road South
A map shows no houses between 704 and 684 as it is marked as tennis courts. So I have narrowed it down

Had to go to 1960s map for numbering. In 1937 layout looks very similar. Yellow is Bristol Road South, Red is Bell Lane and Blue marks Church Road
View attachment 157217
Hi Thank you for the reply I have now managed to find out that The Avenue is actually Rubery somewhere I did not think she would have lived another mystery as her family were Northfield and Bourville! We are going at some point to have a ride over from here to see what kind of house it is We do wonder if this was council property but unsure why she was living there she did have some "learning difficulties" deaf mute but as I have no elderly relatives to ask who would have met her I do not know if she actually could have looked after herself.

hi jane so could you confirm that the address of the avenue bristol road as the place of death for your gt aunt is wrong also what year did she die

lyn

Last edited:
The Avenue Rubery could be off a road called Bristol Road (so many bits of that road have had name changes it is difficult to tell) but on the 1939 reg it would have come under Bromsgrove (even though now it is under Birmingham). Was the death registered at Birmingham register office?

The Avenue Rubery could be off a road called Bristol Road (so many bits of that road have had name changes it is difficult to tell) but on the 1939 reg it would have come under Bromsgrove (even though now it is under Birmingham). Was the death registered at Birmingham register office?
Its near Bristol Road A38 the address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol Road Birmingham this is the only one I can find she died in Highcroft Hospital in 1950 but the address 18 Highcroft Road Erdington Birmingham RD. Again from googling this I found it was a large hospital for people of all illnesses Annie was deaf mute result of a childhood illness I think. She was living with her family (brother) 1939 he registered her death. Thank you so much for all your help I would love to find out who was at the address in the late 1940s but think it would I have to go to Birmingham Archives as ancestry.co.uk dont appear to cover this

Last edited:
In 1950 Thomas and Florence Cope lived at 6 The Avenue - that is the one marked on the map in post #5.
This might help rule out this road

Last edited:
Its near Bristol Road A38 the address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol Road Birmingham this is the only one I can find she died in Highcroft Hospital in 1950 but the address 18 Highcroft Road Erdington. Again from googling this I found it was a large hospital for people of all illnesses Annie was deaf mute result of a childhood illness I think. She was living with her family (brother) 1939 he registered her death. Thank you so much for all your help
right so she died in what used to be aston union workhouse erdington later to become highcroft hospital for people with certain inflictions including mental issues we have an extensive thread for this which includes old maps and photos before demo which you may find of interest..if you click on the link below it will take you to that thread

lyn

Last edited:
Its near Bristol Road A38 the address is given as 6 The Avenue Bristol Road Birmingham this is the only one I can find she died in Highcroft Hospital in 1950 but the address 18 Highcroft Road Erdington. Again from googling this I found it was a large hospital for people of all illnesses Annie was deaf mute result of a childhood illness I think. She was living with her family (brother) 1939 he registered her death. Thank you so much for all your help
Just a couple of things - The Avenue from post #5 would have needed Bristol Road to identify it as it is not marked on any maps. The Avenue Rubery would have been sufficient as it was a named road on maps. What makes you sure now it is the Rubery one?
Second - have you given us her name? Just trying to clarify things and a name helps. Thanks

Back