• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Australian Bar

The “AB” was where I summoned an entourage of old Engineering/Science schools flat mates, and fellow Law undergrads for my 21st birthday bash. Best pint of bitter in Brum at the time, October 1979. Used to pop in there before gigs at Barbarella’s off Broad Street (sadly also gone), including (mainly) punk bands, The Clash, The Jam, Blondie, etc.; or Odeon gigs, inc. Frank Zappa, BB King (supported by the Wilko Johnson Band, recently split from Dr Feelgood.)

Unfortunately, I was living off Wake Green Road in Moseley at the time: it was piddling down with rain and there was a bus-strike on…. I imagined that no one would bother turning up in those circs, so stayed in my freezing gaff.

Apparently, the place was rammed and they all told me they’d had a great time…. Better than if I’d actually been there! Caused a lot of mirth for the rest of the academic year.

Maybe they just sold Fosters!
I don't actually know to be honest.
It was a Davenports pub, one of only two in the city centre in the 1970s when I first went there and nearly every pub was either Ansell's or M & B. I used to go there whenever I visited Birmingham and it was close enough to New Street station for me to pop in whenever I changed trains there for years afterwards. The 1979 CAMRA Good Beer Guide describes it as a 'pleasant, comfortable bar with Antipodean overtones'.

Travelled up regularly with a few of us from Northampton about 1980/81, always went to the Australian Bar before heading over to the Rum Runner. Loved the place. Happy days, lovely, lovely Brummie girls.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (back in 2010 apparently!) my great-grandparents ran The Australian back in the 1930s. I have never been in the area, but I recall my father saying it was right by the Birmingham Hippodrome. Is that correct? Perhaps it always catered for colourful customers...

Alfred John Rothwell is there in the 1911 census, he himself names it the 'Australian Bar' as the address, at 47 Bromsgrove Street (I assume the living quarters are there, and the pub frontage is on Hurst Street.
In 1901 he is a "Brass Cock Turner" (presumably lathe work!) living at 2 house, 12 court, Bordesley Park Road. with wife Kate (later called Catherine in the census returns) and their first two daughters, Lily (1) and Nellie (2). By 1911 they had added Violet, Hilda & Katie to the family, still at the Australian Bar. They are there in the 1921 census but in the 1939 register, Alfred is managing the Three Horseshoes Hotel in Umberslade Road, Stirchley, and he died late 1945 aged 73

Back