• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the ashted cinema

Alexander Francis Smith

knowlegable brummie
highlighted in the brummagem magazine is where my early years were formed, as far back as i can remember the characters serialised were the first superman, black and white, batman and robin, black and white, buster crabbe as flash gordon, laurel and hardy, abbot and costello, charles starrett as the durango kid, kit carson, roy rogers, lash larue who had a bull whip hung on his six gun and he was always dressed in black, those were the days at the saturday morning crush

HI ALEX ;
Great memories from you ;and it as brought my memories flooding back as i recall the picture house very well nd the crush ;
roy rogers was my hero ; i was so i was so obcessed with him and trigger and like most kids growing up lways played the cow boys around aston hall and the grounds with a couple of old mate when we came out of school frm upper thomas street spent hours
and i travelled to any flick houses to see roger and trigger ; where he was i was then one saturday i went to the victoria on victoria rd aston
then came out and went straight down to the astoria where my auntie maud was working on the box office and the ice cream seller
she smuggled me in under her coat she told her friend whom i was and i got the freee ice cream ;and guess what roy rogers was on ;
when i came out at tea timei thought i was roy rogers on trigger and i slapped my thighs and said come on trigger lets cross here
and as i went out on to the rd the middle of astonrd north ; i got it by a car ; i went up in the air and travelled towards the pawn brokers before i came down to the ground i ended up half dead and was operated all through the night to save me and with a couple of blood transsfusions plus i had to have a metal plate in my leg as the bone was smashed and crummbled to bits hence the plate inmy leg ;
getting back to the picture house o ashed it later in years tryed a late night viewing for the public opening at ten till midnight but it never lasted long i m afraid like most other pictures houses tryed it faild it was a novelety at first but the fad drained off and people stopped going
i have got a signed photo of roger and trigger and i have got several books by him ;thanks for the memory ; astonian;;

thankyou for those memories, i too would pretend that i was riding trigger and would also slap my thighs, i even had a gun belt and a lone star cap gun like roy had, can you recall roys friend who used to ride a horse called ringeye? . he was always in trouble,

Saturday morning pictures at the Ashted, then act it out in the afternoon but with an ice cream off Jack. Anyone remember him?

Back