• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Antelope, The Bear, The Mermaid; the same architect

philm

proper brummie kid
Check out "Sparkhill" on Wikepedia and you will be rewarded with magnificent views of the above three Stratford Road pubs (plus one of Sparkhill Library). These buildings were all designed by the Birmingham architect Holland W. Hobbiss, examples of whose work is to be seen all over the city. The pub signs were designed by the sculptor William Bloye, who had a studio in Golden Hillock Road. The actual carving of The Antelope was actually done by his assistant, Tom Wright, who maybe carved the others too. William Bloye studied under the arts and crafts sculptor Eric Gill.

Mentioning the library reminds me of when i was a youngster and only had a childs ticket for books when the childs section was on the ground floor and i couldn`t wait till i was older when i could go up those magnificent stairs to the adult section.

Hi ed the magnificent interior is probably due to the fact that the building was built as local council offices. That area was originally part of Worcestershire before being absorbed into the ever expanding Birmingham. If you look up you will see "Yardley UDC " carved there, Yardley being an urban district under Worcestershire.

Philm
that is the beauty of this forum,someone always have a story/ answer,i lived in Brum for my first 54 years and until i came across this forum i din`t realise how very little i knew about my birthplace and am amazed by peoples knowledge and of the effort put in by them to make this forum what it is

Back