• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Antelope - Sparkhill

wessex

master brummie
The Antelope,Stratford Road Sparkhill.This has been mentioned before on other threads.
I remember using it occasionally about 25 years ago.It was a lively pub then,with a lot of local Irish punters.Now sadly it appears to be a curry house.Doubt if even that will last judging by the number of other pub/curry conversions that failed,a la Mermaid etc.

Attachments

• Antelope Sparkhill.jpg
    Antelope Sparkhill.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The Antelope in happier times. It seems that this is the way that all our pubs are fated to go now. Fast food outlets or curry houses, it seems they are the fastest growing market in England.

Soon we will be earning our wages in one fast food outlet, then crossing the road to spend them in another.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparkhill Stratford Rd The Antelope.jpg
    Sparkhill Stratford Rd The Antelope.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
My uncle Harold Cowell was licensee of The Antelope from about 1947 to about 1956. He was my father's half-brother. We were regular visitors, and stayed at The Antelope several times over Christmas. Even in those far-off days it was a rough pub, fights breaking out and spilling out onto the street. Uncle Harold kept a chair-leg behind the bar, and also an Alsatian the size of a small pony to keep order. I particularly remember the Alsatian ("Laddie") as he was big enough for me to ride on his back when I was a mere babe. More than once, when we were upstairs watching the telly (this would be about 1950 when TV's were rare) we heard trouble break out downstairs, and my Auntie Eve would release Laddie who'd go hell-for-leather down the stairs and amidst shouts and angry doggie growls would shepherd the ne'er-do-wells out onto the Stratford Road. He got hold of one poor bugger one night, and I can to this day remember watching through the window Uncle Harold trying to get him to back off...

Rough pubs are by no means a modern phenomenon.

I also remember the dumb-waiter which brought drinks and food up from the bar to the living quarters - I rode on it once.

I think that The Antelope is considered to be a place of some architectural merit, but can't recall where I read that.

Big Gee

Big Gee,some interesting anecdotes there.
You're right about rough not being a new thing,in fact pubs are probally much less violent these days.
I read something about the architecture on here,possibly on another pub thread.

Hi Wessex,

Odd, but another branch of our family had a hotel in Cliftonville, down the road from Margate.

Big Gee

Hi Wessex,

Odd, but another branch of our family had a hotel in Cliftonville, down the road from Margate.

Big Gee

I actually live in Cliftonville.....even odder:D

Most of the hotels are long gone,or more like homeless hostels.Shame,this was once a great tourist area.

Hi Wessex,

My mother's cousin Harry Summerfield had a rather nice hotel (more a B&B) on Godwin Road in Cliftonville. If memory serves, it was called the Norton Hotel. We stayed there for summer hols several times in the 1950's.

I still visit Kent from time to time on business, and about 2 years ago went and had a look at The Norton. It's now apartments, and all the other hotels in and around Godwin Road seem to be DHS accommodation. I should think Harry Summerfield has been pushing up the daisies these 40-odd years. Always like Kent, especially Ramsgate.

All the best,

Big Gee

Hi Wessex,

My mother's cousin Harry Summerfield had a rather nice hotel (more a B&B) on Godwin Road in Cliftonville. If memory serves, it was called the Norton Hotel. We stayed there for summer hols several times in the 1950's.

I still visit Kent from time to time on business, and about 2 years ago went and had a look at The Norton. It's now apartments, and all the other hotels in and around Godwin Road seem to be DHS accommodation. I should think Harry Summerfield has been pushing up the daisies these 40-odd years. Always like Kent, especially Ramsgate.

All the best,

Big Gee

Lol lol and thrice lol:D

My road,Cliftonville Avenue is actually opposite Goodwin Road.Seperated by Northdown rd,the Bellvue pub is on the corner of Goodwin.

Was at Broadstairs beach today with a french student we accomodate/teach,followed by a quick visit to Ramsgate,where poor 16 yo student was forced to eat KFC for the very first time.:D

It's a strange thing, but for all their snobbery concerning English food, you try getting into a MacDonald's in France around lunch-time, any day...packed out, or what?

Ref: Cliftonville, is the old WW2 gun platform still there, a mile or so out to sea? When I was a sprog, we had a boat ride out there, but it was too rough to actually get out of the boat onto the platform (I think they called it a 'fort' back then).

Big Gee

No sign of the old gun platform,and about 10 years ago when I used to commmute weekly to Spain via Pais on the train I often used to use the MacDonald's outside the Gara De Nord Station,and yes it was packed,even for breakfast.

I happened by chance to hear a radio programme the other week, about French eating habits, and it seems that mes chers amis les Francaises are currently big into processed ham...and frozen hamburgers...

I will say, though, that as a pretty regular visitor to France, you can still get a very good lunch for as little as 12 Euros if you travel along the old N roads. On the other hand, last year we stopped at a bar just the other side of Le Mans for lunch, and it was anybody's guess what was on our plates...the menu said crayfish.There was a Frenchman at the next table who just pushed his plate away...eh bien.

And also on the other hand, last year we had lunch near Sees in Normandy - an ordinary-looking cafe-centrale that served us with wonderful ham and mushroom omelettes, and enough fries to feed an army...all for 23 Euros for the two of us.

Le Grand Gee

My last proper visit to France last autumn was to the Catalan Pyrenees.We lunched in Bourg Madame.It was market day,and well worth the diversion on our way to Andorra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourg-Madame

Yes the prices in France are up due to the euro,but when you take the quality in,it's probally still better value than most UK eateries.

Don't forget the Hand Car Washes, not all Pubs are becomming fast food outlets and curry houses, Hand Car Washes are becomming the only growth Industry I have seen recently.:redface:

Why do we seem so content to let our culture, history and heritage just dissapear ?

Well said zak14,but I fear it's now too late due to the number of immigrants over the years.They have no reason to be interested in our culture,so why would they want to preserve it?

I think other reasons for the demise of pubs is the general acceptance that you don't drink and drive, and also the widening price-difference between the price of booze in a pub and in a supermarket. The other night my wife was charged £2.95 for a glass of Blossom Hill at a pub in the centre of Brum (which I won't name...), when I can go to Somerfield's and buy a whole bottle for £3.99.

Plus - and this is purely personal - wide-screen TV's which are always turned up full-volume. That's why I won't use either of my local pubs - just too noisy.

Big Gee

Some good reasons there Big Gee,and don't forget smoking,and the recession...and government taxes,minimum wages et al....lots of reasons put together.
On a positive note country pubs reinvented themselves very well,and to some extent so have town centre pubs.Can the inner city pubs do the same?

I use to go in there 1972-74 :) proper irish boozer . the next time
i visited
was very late 90s , so surprised its not a pub no more :(
spose the irish do move on like everybody else .
nice one Wessex ........ ragga :)

I went to The Antelope in Sparkhill earlier this evening. Now Hajee's Spices - an Asian restaurant (Pakistani / Indian cuisine I think) for my works Eid party.

Looks strange inside. Leopard skin chairs (not sure if fake).

Sparkly red wallpaper. Snazzy lights, not out of place of India.

The meal was good, bit spicy.

At least it still says The Antelope outside, although Mitchells & Butlers is painted out in white (but is still there).

My uncle Harold Cowell was licensee of The Antelope from about 1947 to about 1956. He was my father's half-brother. We were regular visitors, and stayed at The Antelope several times over Christmas. Even in those far-off days it was a rough pub, fights breaking out and spilling out onto the street. Uncle Harold kept a chair-leg behind the bar, and also an Alsatian the size of a small pony to keep order. I particularly remember the Alsatian ("Laddie") as he was big enough for me to ride on his back when I was a mere babe. More than once, when we were upstairs watching the telly (this would be about 1950 when TV's were rare) we heard trouble break out downstairs, and my Auntie Eve would release Laddie who'd go hell-for-leather down the stairs and amidst shouts and angry doggie growls would shepherd the ne'er-do-wells out onto the Stratford Road. He got hold of one poor bugger one night, and I can to this day remember watching through the window Uncle Harold trying to get him to back off...

Rough pubs are by no means a modern phenomenon.

I also remember the dumb-waiter which brought drinks and food up from the bar to the living quarters - I rode on it once.

I think that The Antelope is considered to be a place of some architectural merit, but can't recall where I read that.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee! I have just registered on this site and, whilst searching for pictures for my family tree, I came across your post on here re The Antelope pub, Sparkhill. The "Aunt Eve" you referred to was my grandmother's sister - my great aunt! My grandmother - May White - lived in the house next to the pub in Baker Street and my grandad, Reginald White, worked in the pub for many years. I think he drank most of the profits as he always came home the worse for wear! I remember Auntie Eve very well but Uncle Harold died a couple of years before I was born. I have recently managed to contact Harold's granddaughter and have been able to show her your story. Great stuff!

Hi guys
prior to the Antelope being a spicy eating house ,the Antelope was manage and ran by a couple of our long time
Friends , namely the Gallaghers the builders of the civil eningeers and construction
they was the former gathers of the monica pub in monica road small heath
And they moved from the monica up to the Antelope pub to build up the trade as at one point it declined in trade
for variuos reasons , and because the Gallaghers are well known through out the irish comunitity and highly respected
Ann and seamus was there names and they both stood for no nonsense and reject those unwanted trouble maker
prior to us all pub managers within the brewery going to Dublin in Ireland fot two weeks payed for by the brewery
At the two weeks prior there was a huge fight at the Antelope with a group of men
And the man at the time was a big guy and he attacked a guy with a chair there was court procceding
And we was sent over there to see how the Irish run there pubs
thats when Ann and seamus was asked to go and sort the pub out and rebuild it which they did
eventualy after a year or two the brewery built a brand new pub just up around the corner
it was called the waggon and horses they was chosen again to take it on and they did
And eventualy they moved back to Ireland to live for afew years whilst there kids grow up
eventualy they came back to live here in england they are some where running a pub now

Hello Big Gee! I have just registered on this site and, whilst searching for pictures for my family tree, I came across your post on here re The Antelope pub, Sparkhill. The "Aunt Eve" you referred to was my grandmother's sister - my great aunt! My grandmother - May White - lived in the house next to the pub in Baker Street and my grandad, Reginald White, worked in the pub for many years. I think he drank most of the profits as he always came home the worse for wear! I remember Auntie Eve very well but Uncle Harold died a couple of years before I was born. I have recently managed to contact Harold's granddaughter and have been able to show her your story. Great stuff!

Hi Annie,

well, stone me! Unbelievable! I remember May and Reg White, and also their daughter Margaret who died tragically young. More than once when we visited The Antelope my mother would go and see how Margaret was...she was very upset about poor Margaret. Am I correct in saying that Eve and May had another sister called Clara who married Harold's brother Stan? Two sisters marrying two brothers, if true! Harold and Eve's son - my cousin - was also Harold, and some time ago his son David and I had some contact on this Forum. My dad was half-brother to Harold Snr and Stan.

After they left The Antelope - round about 1954 or thereabouts - Eve and Harold Cowell had a general store on Coleshill Road, which I also remember quite well. The last time I saw Eve was when she was widowed and living in a flat (in Yardley, I believe), this would be about 1972 or 1973.

I really liked Harold and Eve when I was a toddler, as they were always very nice to me and would occasionally slip half-a-crown into my hand and tell me to keep quiet about it!

This really is astounding, and if I can remember any more family history - bearing in mind I was only about 8 when Uncle Harold died - I'll PM you. Before I sign off, would you by any chance happen to have any connection with Malvern? I do recall that a member of my dad's side of the family lived there.

Best wishes,

G

Back