• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Angel Pub

Phil
I think the British Restaurant was the one further down, opposite the Mermaid. It was then a Civic Restaurant called the Warwick with the same layout inside as the Irish one.
Mike

mike

You are most likely right, the one I am talking about was the one opposite the Mermaid on the stratford Rd. You walked through the door and there were two tables each side. The stairs were in front of you, about four or five of them up to the serving area and about another half dozen tables.

Phil

That was the Warwick Phil, The Irish was further up the Stratford Road towards Baker Street on the same side and was much better value although more rough and ready.
Mike

Mike,

You are right about it being the Warwick Restaurant, we used to go there sometimes on a Saturday when shopping down Stratford rd.

But the period I am talking about was from the early seventies, when it was taken over and used as a cafe.

They did a mean bowl of stew, and the steak was almost as good as at home. The only thing I didn't like was they served it with potatoes and cabbage. I prefer mine with chips and peas.

Phil

The Angel is now being 'redeveloped'.The front is still there but the bacc has gone and it is now a mass of steelwork si I guess we can only wait to see what it is going to be.Changing slightly,John Whybrows building opposite now looks very nice after its' refurb so I guess all is not lost on Stratford Road!!!.BobS

Hi Bob ,And Mike,
Especialy Bob , Many Thanks On Behalf Of Our Forum Members Whom
Have Intrest In The History Of Our Old Pubs, And For Keeping Us All Informed On The Old Angel Pub , And We All Will Look Foreward To Be Kept Informed Of It Progress , Especialy Myself . As I Cannot Get To Brum As Often As I Would Like T00 ,And See The Old Pubs I Used To Run , I Have Got Some Good And Bad Memories Of Some Of The Old Boozers I Have Ran ,With My Team ,I Would Dearly Love To See Some Of The Old Customers AndSome Of The Old Gathers Of Some Of The Pubs,
Any Way Lads Keep Us nformed At The First Sighting Of To What The Redevolopement
Is Going To Be , Any Early Indication From Behind The Boarding Shoild Give An Idea As To What It Will Be
Bob , Phil , And All Our Forum Members Have A Nice Day And Be Care ful Out There ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,,

Hi Phil the Irish cafe opposite the Mermaid in the late 1970's to early eighties was called the "Shillelagh" & towards the end of the 80's became an asian cafe called the Jumuna.I lived around the corner in Wilton Road.There was also another cafe called the "Benbow" opposite the Antelope that a lot of the Irish used.

Regards

Brian

Don't know if I am putting this on the right thread. It's The Elms Bakery and Assembly Rooms (Herbert Wright & Sons), 456 Stratford Rd. Sparkhill. It's taken off a bill for a wedding reception in 1937, so it's not great quality.

Ann

Greetings, all. I have just joined as at the tender age of 54, I am researching my family tree. I found this thread most fascinating, my family all originate from Aston and Sparkbrook. Grandfather "John Henry Usher" was a publican who was prosecuted in 1954 for embezzlement from the brewery. Whilst the case is on the pubic record, the details of the trial are locked for a further 75 years. Though, I am almost certain it was The Angel as described here. I wonder if anyone can advise how to find a list of landlords for this pub so I can make a definite connection? His best friend was Jospeh Feeley, an Irishman, I wonder of the met here...

Also, my grandmother's husband, James Samuel Johnson was a Hotel Manager. Ansell's Brewery; The Plough and Harrow before running the Crooked House, Droitwich. I have searched in vain for hours trying to find a photo or any record of this pub. Maybe someone has some local knowledge here? His address on the census was 277 Bloomsbury St, Birmingham, I have no idea if this was the address of the hotel (lived in) or if he just lived nearby.

Thanks!

Greetings, all. I have just joined as at the tender age of 54, I am researching my family tree. I found this thread most fascinating, my family all originate from Aston and Sparkbrook. Grandfather "John Henry Usher" was a publican who was prosecuted in 1954 for embezzlement from the brewery. Whilst the case is on the pubic record, the details of the trial are locked for a further 75 years. Though, I am almost certain it was The Angel as described here. I wonder if anyone can advise how to find a list of landlords for this pub so I can make a definite connection? His best friend was Jospeh Feeley, an Irishman, I wonder of the met here...

Also, my grandmother's husband, James Samuel Johnson was a Hotel Manager. Ansell's Brewery; The Plough and Harrow before running the Crooked House, Droitwich. I have searched in vain for hours trying to find a photo or any record of this pub. Maybe someone has some local knowledge here? His address on the census was 277 Bloomsbury St, Birmingham, I have no idea if this was the address of the hotel (lived in) or if he just lived nearby.

Thanks!

John Henry Usher took over the licence of The Angel on 21st May 1953 and was succeeded by Charles Powell on 21st January 1954.

John Henry Usher took over the licence of The Angel on 21st May 1953 and was succeeded by Charles Powell on 21st January 1954.

Utterly fantastic, thank you. A vague family conversation from countless years back now confirmed as accurate and the dates completely tally with the court case. Thank you very, very much! This really is sincerely appreciated.

Hi, Lyn, yes, The Plough and Harrow, 277 Bloomsbury Street. My great grandfather was Samuel James Johnson. The hotel manager at the time, 1911. It's long been demolished... I see from Google street views it's a new build school now. Thanks!

It can be seen from this map that it had gone by the 1950s, so would have to be quite an old photo

map c1950 junction taylor st and bloomsbury st.jpg

Sorry Lyn, I assumed it was no 277 as per Jonathon's post

Hi, Mikejee, this is brilliant stuff. I shared the Birmingham rates book (above), so he was there at 277 in 1911. But looks like it was gone by 1950. I am struggling with the map to know which 277 is, and from the photos. Is 277 the corner? Thanks so much, everybody, this is fabulous stuff to see.

Looking at the area today compared with the older map, it appears that what is left of the old Taylor St is now Chadsmoor Terrace. I am jumping to this conclusion as Fowler St still leads into Freeman Rd. Is that the correct assumption?

He was only running the Angel for a handful of months before the court case then? He must have run others. Is there a particular reference site/publication for Birmingham landlords? I am aware he had a business in Small Heath or local vicinity called: Usher's Habbidashery. Though nothing can be found online. If family stories inform correctly, an area called something like "The Goose" or "The Swan" that was later redeveloped...

Back