• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Age Of Innocence Has Left The Station.

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
I have always said the media, mainly now TV and computers, are wonderful innovations that have completely changed our lives, and created a world where we can now see, and enjoy, many wonderful things. Sadly, like all scientific and mechanical advances in helping the world, these easy to obtain electronics, also bring out an evil side.

After yet another lively two hour debate (never an argument), with two of our very smart, beautiful, street wise, still single, grand daughters, aged 25 & 27, I always find it sad, yet comforting in some ways, that they have, since a very early age, been wise to the ways of the world. The good things, the bad things and the very controversial things.
From almost day one at school, children learn, not just history, maths, English, and all the usual subject that my generation were taught, but sex, genetic changes, drugs, , cyber bullying, foul language, bulimia & obese problems, guns, stabbing, killings, are all part of their everyday life, and believe me, from the words of my grandchildren, they learn all these things very quickly.

I am relieved that all our grandchildren have grown up, aware of all these problems, and have avoided them, but so many young children are influenced by these terrible things.

Yes, earlier generations knew what guns and killing was, but in a WW2 era, they meant different things, and we were innocent in all of the pitfalls that await younger generations these days. They now have the world at their fingertips, the good, the bad & the ugly.

Whatever happened to the world of marbles, and skipping. The age of a child's innocence??

Eddie

Eddie.

I'm sure that many on here will agree with me that this is very difficult to discuss on here without getting dragged into the subjects that we are not allowed to on open forum, such as politics and some of the topics you mentioned. So I have to be very very careful not to get myself banned, and I will keep this very short. On many of those topics, until at least 40 years ago, the education system was completely impartial or else the subjects were not discussed at all. Not so now - teachers and university lecturers are far from impartial and their political and other views tend to be thrust down their students' throats.

When I returned to what is now Bournemouth University at the age of 43 - I am now 80 - to do an HND in Business Computing, a compulsory part of the course included things like trade unions, and after over 30 years in the computer industry I found that and several other of their compulsory subjects totally irrelevant. The Principal Lecturer had a PhD in his subject, but was only 28 years old and in my humble opinion had never had what I call a "proper job". The Senior Lecturer was much older, had had real jobs in industry, had served on industrial tribunals and had been an advisor to various government bodies. I may not have agreed with many of his political views nor he with mine, but we could have sensible and amicable discussions both in and out of lectures. Whereas his senior had one view and that was the only "correct" one. Teachers and lecturers are supposed to be impartial, but they are not any longer, and their personal and quite often inflexible views are being taught as part of the subject when they should not be.

To make sure I don't overstep the mark, I'm going to stop at that point, as I don't believe that we can discuss your subjects, Eddie, without breaking the rules of the Forum, and nor should we.

Maurice

Maurice:

I do take your point, and I have no wish to upset the spirit of the BHF.

My post was not intended to open up can a of worms. That is why I never mentioned politics or religion. However, it is sad to see the way that many young children in our society perceive the modern world. They mentally grow up too soon. Perhaps generations before you and I thought the same about our generation, but we still had a real age of innocence, and in spite of a world war, we were lucky to enjoy life as children should.

Children no longer seem to want to enjoy street games, marbles, skipping, hop scotch, stamp collecting, walking to school, and all those wonderful things that we had to work at.

I fully understand that there are reasons for the decline in some of those things, and that is not for this website, but even school sports, cricket, rugby, and football. A match is now like a replay of some TV Premier League or Test game. TV, computers, and money, are now the drivers, with indoctrination the fuel. It is now becoming a push button world, with the art of human communication, an also ran.

Yes, life for the younger generations is tougher, but on the good side they have wonderful opportunities that we could only have dreamed about.

Just my personal observation, as seen through the eyes of an old man.

Eddie

Eddie,

Whilst the PC brigade have endeavored to take the competitiveness out of all aspects of life, I think some aspects of it are actually more competitive, particularly on the job front. The option is no longer open for those not so academic youngsters to show their artisan skills with the virtual destruction of apprenticeships and much training and the movement of manufacturing to the Far East. Whether we like it or not, many items can be manufactured in the Far East at cheaper prices than they can be made in the West, so many youngsters sadly find themselves in dead end service sector jobs or with no job at all and that inevitably drives up the crime rate.

I don't think there is an easy solution and I wouldn't like to be any politician in 20 or more years time trying to solve such problems.

Maurice

I certainly do not envy the young of today, I was born in 1930, may be I remember the past through rose coloured spectacles but life seemed slower, people seemed more content with their lot, were more friendly and helpful, not obsessed with money, less materialistic, in those days most of us rented rather than purchased their homes, jobs seemed plentiful, especially in Brum. No credit cards to go in debt with, no electronic gadgets to crave for, I could go on but I am liable to break Forum rules so will say no more except to say those 'good old day's' sadly will never return. Eric

ooh.jpeg
This image was in The Evening Mail a few weeks ago. I have posted it on this thread because it depicts how most evenings were spent in our house. We were really innocent and enjoyed life as children.

Back