• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Adam and Eve, Bradford Street

philm

proper brummie kid
I would love to see a picture of the above pub (which I believe no longer exists). I used to go to the jazz club there in the 50's.

HI SOSPIRI
Many thanks for that the pics is great that used to belong to my dear old friend john;
whom also used to own a couple of other pubs around digbeth the rose taveren
as well as another one and the emily arms years ago
i suspect john as passed away by now given is age he was when i last seen him
its been many years now since we last met at the rose tavern ;
have a nice sospiri and every body else best wishes astonian

Yes I think that's it - thank you very much. As I remember it, as you entered the lobby there was a set of stairs directly in front of you. That's where we went up to the club in the room above to listen and dance to the dixeyland jazz. The locals ignored us and got on with their drinking. We teenagers were mostly from the more affluent outer suburbs.

Still there last time I looked. Although these days the bands play downstairs and the upstairs has been converted to bedrooms for a B&B so I been told.

philm

I also think the Adam & Eve is still standing at least it was when I passed by about 12 months ago. Here is a photo of it as it is now and another of one more nearer the time that you used it.

Phil

AdamEveBradfordSt2.jpg
AdamEveBradfordSt.jpg

A friend of mine played there in May this year and I havent heard anything about it closing down since then

Thank you for those two pics phil, especially the older one. Isn't it strange how places seem much larger in your memory than they are in real life.

As a teenager in the 1950's I enjoyed the weekly Dixieland Jazz sessions at the Adam and Eve. If my memory serves me well one of the young band members had pure white hair.

Em

that was george huxley. the trombone player was i think charles powell and pete rollason was on piano.brings back happy memories, Em

Thanks very much `philm'. I can recall him being inrtoduced as George when I think hard about it. Those were enjoyable evenings. Thanks for the memory.

Em

That one with pure white hair was George Huxley, reeds man mostly clarinet, he's had a most distinguished career and still plays regularly...sometimes where I go every Wednesday night to the wonderful Sutton Coldfield Trad Jazz Club at the Walmley Social club. Only a fiver at a great venue, no membership needed, easy to find, no problem parking...anyone who loves true jazz should try it. George now, also plays at a venue in Coventry and at some of Festivals and jazz week-ends around the country.

Thanks for the information "Shawcross" I can't believe George Huxley is still playing his clarinet, he must be over eighty now! Have you any news of the other band members? - many years ago quite by chance I bumped into Charles the trombone player strolling along the prom in a Spanish resort, with his friend Pete Sands, with whom I was at school. Still have a photograph of them somewhere.
philm

The Adam and Eve is still standing, although I see it's been sold by auction. It's a large site so be interesting to see what happens to it. There's also a house next to it on the Bradford Street side which has seen better days. Another one to watch. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 47
My interest in the Adam and Eve has been tickled. Consequently, this morning I have uploaded a plan of the area BEFORE any development. However, for clarification of pub locations I have plotted some roads and buildings myself. So, one for those who like maps such as Mike ......

Back