• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Acorn,Garrison lane area

Shelagh

Shelagh
hello Folks
Does anyone know anything about a pub called the Acorn,Garrison Lane/artillary Street area.
Is it still there or has it been bulldozed

Thanks for looking
Shelagh:rolleyes:

I can't add much Shelagh because there isn't a pub of that name now. It is howeveer shown as having been in Garrison Lane if you look at the site www.midlandspubs.co.uk (link works as at today).

There are a number of pub experts on this site so I'm surprised somebody can't help you more -come on chaps!

Bob

thanks for the try,my sister in law in Oz remembers it when she was a girl she is 72 now so it must be 50-60 years ,it was open then.but I think it prob went in the Bordesley renual,whenever that was.

Shelagh

I drank in there every saturday morning for a while in 1971, we stopped using it when the football season started. I think it was still open until the late seventies.

Phil

i lived next door to the pub. it was on garrison lane .i lived there in1967 68 maybe.my mom had the second hand shop ,next door was a pet shop ,next door was broadhursts scrap yard. then some houses . then the bridge over the canal.going back down to the pub there was a road.cross over. then a fruit shop. butchers ,then fish shop.carry on down to itchicoo park.then the sailors return pub .there was another pub facing the park.on the other side of the main road.not sure of the name.harley:)

Thanks for the info Harley,there was a road alongside Ichicoo park ,at the end of that ,opposite the back of the park,was a pub called The Hen and Chickens later called Eddies Bar and I have been told ,back to Hen and Chickens.On the Garrison lane side of the park, the pub Oppposite was The Garrison I think and thats still there,if that's the one you mean.
Thanks again
Shelagh;)

yes shelagh now you say it. it was .oh the memories and i was only eleven years old ha ha . but i used the outdoor most nights for me crisps and bottle of pop with the black twist stopper.corona.my friends mom and dad had the sailors return pub at that time too.harley.

Hi Harvey,
do you remember the billiard hall at the top,could be on Bordesley green and there was a bomb site next door,do you know what was there before it was bombed
Shelagh:sleepy:

In 1940 'The Acorn' was on the corner of Garrison Lane and Barwell Road. My Dad used to drink in there until he was killed in May 1941 when a parachute land mine fell in Artillery Street. We knew it as 'The Accon'.

I believe my husbands grandmother was "bombed out " of artillary street,perhaps it's the same bomb,how strange that my son, Lived a few years back, in Hoffbeck court opposite Barwell road
thanks for the reply,:thumbsup:

Hello Shelagh. What was the name of your husband's grandmother and does he know the number of the house in which she lived? I was only eight at the time and the landmine fell on the house next door at No. 31 Artillery Street. I wondered if I knew his family. At No. 29 three members of the Anderson family were killed at the same time as my father. June.

to Phil,
If the acorn was like the other pubs around,there would be no room at the inn on matchdays lol. do you know if it was taken down as part of the renual
:confused2:

I only drank there on a Saturday morning because my sister and brother in law lived in Grey St and we didn't like the Sportsman. Considering that I think new housing now stands where the pub now stands, I should think it was cleared under the urban renewal scheme.

Phil

when we lived in the shop next door to the acorn .second hand shop in 1968. it was overun with mice , all coming from the old pet shop next door and the scrap yard at the back of us ,broadhursts scrap yard .

shelagh , yes i can remember the billiard rooms but cant remember thebomb site.it was near the cross roads of bordsleygreen .i went to the tilton road girls school.but cannot rcall the bomb site. i remember the bank on the corner.and the factory i worked at left at the bank. going down the hill.think it was newmen tonks . not sure

Hi June and Harley,
I have been told that a relative called Dennis Tennant worked at the butchers , my husbands grandmothers name was Brown and she had her daughter and her husband and grandson living with her their name was Bowen.A photo would be fantastic.;)
Shelagh

shelagh, well first off the sportsman was on the same side as the acorn but further up the road towards the flats ,well in the 1960s i beleive they were hostels , then the garrison is facing itchicoo park. side of the park really ,then the cottages ,were in the street facing the the top end of the park.but i do remember all those shops, and the grass there in the picture where the dog is ,was houses all the way to the bottom of the street. then there were bit left of that street maisonett flats.oh no our shop was not on the pictures.as we were abit further up left of the picture, oh what a shame .go quite excited to see it again never mind lovely photos thanks for showing them.the first shop on the left was a fruit shop and it was owned by a man called john and his mum ,they were lovely people .sent me a bouquet and fruit when i was ill with mumps.i will never forget them.harley:)

Went to Garrison Lane Sunday,There is a walkway between 2 sets of apartments which leads into Barwell road,so I guess the Acorn is now apartments!The blue and white pub is the Beau Brummie Tavern in Dartmouth street ,which used to be the hen and chickens when my ma in law lived down there.
Shelagh

I started work age 14yrs in 1943 at the Post Office Engineering Works as a Junior Fitter it was opposite the Sportsman Pub, Garrison Lane, i was trained in the engineering part of the site, the other part was were they maintained the Green Post Office Morris telephone repair Vans, which had rubber front wings. i believe it was originally a Government Training Centre.

You're correct, It was a training centre, my Father attended what I believe was a rudimentary carpenters course there, after being wounded in WW1

Nick

Back