• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Abbey St Thomas's Grammar/secondary Erdington

I was there between 1950 to 1954 and remember well Mr F P Burns, the best headmaster any school could have, Mr Sims (woodworking) Mr McCarthy, A very handsome teacher and a bit of a hero to the girls. Never knew about a Mrs McCarthy, an interesting story there perhaps. All the other teachers mentioned are new to me. There seems to be a bit of a paucity on pupils from the 1950s.
I attended the school from 1963 to 1967 the teachers I remembered include Mr Kennedy, Mr Nash, Mr Byrd, Mr and Mrs Corrigan ,Mr Fanthom and the school secretary was Mrs Kinsella

hello my name is Gill Mooney, i went to the Abbey catholic senior school from 1959 onwards and was wondering if any one on here attended at the same time as im trying to find some old friends 3 of them named Mary, if anyone could help that would be brilliant thank you.

Hi Barryf, I was there at the same time as you and remember all those teachers. Mr Tom Nash was our sports teacher, I was in the football team that scored 100 goals in one season.(cant remember me scoring any):) Pat Hempsey/Hampsey, was the top scorer who sadly committed suicide.

Hi I was there at about the same time, I remember that football team,tragic news about Pat Hempsey. There was another lad who scored a lot called Millington in that team, also an overage goalie from our class Paul Murray. Gillian can’t help you with the Mary’s ,but I think my friend Tom Elliott May have been in your class.

How lovely to see mention of my old school, Erdington Abbey. I assume that he attended the sec. mod. known officially as St Thomas RC Sec. Mon. If he attended the grammar school housed in the Abbey, I bow to his extended knowledge. I did not get to the Sec. Mod. until
1950, one of the few good decisions I made in life. Mention must be made of the superb Headmaster in my day, Mr F P Burns, a gentleman and scholar who encouraged the very best out of us 11 plus failures. Happy Days!!!
I was there between 1956-61, Mr Burns was Head then, Remember playing football against the lads training to be priests(they wore red/mauve blazers). The games were played during dinner times and well attended by students, Really enjoyed my time there.

Its been some time since I last added info to this subject. My researches have since produced more facts about St Thomas's RC Sec Mod. Firstly, my thanks to Mrs Pat Badger, school sec at the primary school for her invaluable help.

The Sec Mod building was begun in 1936. 1940 onwards the school of 1910 was used for children 5 - 9. (Was this the old hall which was used as a assembly hall and dining room in my time?)
Our old teacher, Miss Mary Maud Magdalen Rose, 1890 - 1975 is buried at the Abbey churchyard. I believe that the grave number is A/AS/72. I can only assume that Miss Hyland is buried somewhere there too.

I asked the present owners of the school if I could visit out of term time to take some photos of the buildings but I did not even get the courtesy of a reply, however I did managed to get a photo of the building from the cemetary and 3 or 4 from the railway station platform at Erdington on my way home. As always, any errors with spelling, grammar or facts are strictly mine!

I started at the Abbey at start of school year in 1959 - fresh from Ireland. I was placed in 3B with Miss Hyland and moved to 3A with Mr. Mohr after Christmas.
I remember 2 Mr. Burns’. One was the headmaster. We called him “daddy” Burns to distinguish. Mr. Burns junior married Miss Jarvis who also taught there.
Other teachers I recall were Mr. McCarthy; Mr. Dougthy who became headmaster; Mr. Fantham; Miss Kelly; Mr. “Johnny” Herbert; Miss “Polly” Rose (art) and Mr. “Nigel” Sims (woodwork) - ( Nigel Sims was the then Villa goalkeeper).
Can’t recall the name of a later arrival, an Irish teacher( maybe Mr. O’Hanlon?) who taught 5th year. We sat our “O” Level exams in our own classroom ( one of the huts there, then) under his supervision.
I left in the summer of 1962.

Hi I was there at about the same time, I remember that football team,tragic news about Pat Hempsey. There was another lad who scored a lot called Millington in that team, also an overage goalie from our class Paul Murray. Gillian can’t help you with the Mary’s ,but I think my friend Tom Elliott May have been in your class.
I'l be honest B B, I dont remember Tom, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there. The teacher that stood out was a Mr Fitzsimmons, not the person to get on the wrong side of, however I was a bit slow to learn, and one day he brought a special cane in for me. Gratuitous violence was the only way to describe it. Happy days eh

I started at the Abbey at start of school year in 1959 - fresh from Ireland. I was placed in 3B with Miss Hyland and moved to 3A with Mr. Mohr after Christmas.
I remember 2 Mr. Burns’. One was the headmaster. We called him “daddy” Burns to distinguish. Mr. Burns junior married Miss Jarvis who also taught there.
Other teachers I recall were Mr. McCarthy; Mr. Dougthy who became headmaster; Mr. Fantham; Miss Kelly; Mr. “Johnny” Herbert; Miss “Polly” Rose (art) and Mr. “Nigel” Sims (woodwork) - ( Nigel Sims was the then Villa goalkeeper).
Can’t recall the name of a later arrival, an Irish teacher( maybe Mr. O’Hanlon?) who taught 5th year. We sat our “O” Level exams in our own classroom ( one of the huts there, then) under his supervision.
I left in the summer of 1962.
I remember Mr Sims hand, he had a pretty nasty scar on it. My sister still has the broom holder I made. Good bloke he was

Yes, went there till 1967.
I remember Mr Simms, Mr Fitzsimmons, Mr Mc Carthy, Mr Nash. We had a good football team in those days, scored 100 goals one year(I've got a photo of that team somewhere), but sadly lost a player (Pat Hempsey or Hampsey?) to suicide. We used to play the Jesuits, next door, at football, and give them a good kicking, (well I did):). I think Paul Goldingay was in the A stream? Any good Paul

Two threads have been merged into this one. There may be earlier unseen posts. Viv.

Yes, went there till 1967.
I remember Mr Simms, Mr Fitzsimmons, Mr Mc Carthy, Mr Nash. We had a good football team in those days, scored 100 goals one year(I've got a photo of that team somewhere), but sadly lost a player (Pat Hempsey or Hampsey?) to suicide. We used to play the Jesuits, next door, at football, and give them a good kicking, (well I did):). I think Paul Goldingay was in the A stream? Any good Paul
hello boilerman, yes I remember all these teachers, also miss Jarvis who married M r Mac Carthy jnr . do you remember Hughgean Reynolds head boy above us, and loads more. regards Paul

Back