• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

That's Life

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D
My Mom & Dad

I know that I loved my Mom and Dad.
His name was Les and she is Glad.
The love they’d shared had long since gone.
So living with them was not much fun.
They would fight and ague with all their might
We kids were scared both day and night.

Mom had a mind full of demons and ills.
The doctors proscribed her with addictive pills.
The pills they made the anger raise more.
So Dad would walk out and slam the door.
They did not divorce till us kids were all grown.
So one by one we packed up and left home.

Dad’s been dead now, many a long year.
And Mom’s confined to a wheelchair.
Glad now lives in a nursing home.
Where she’s well cared for and not alone.
This sad tale has no sad end, for she now gets visits.
And I get photos taken and sent from a kind, caring friend.
8)

Pom, that was our life too. Dad was mean tempered and mom caught most of it. They stayed together though, and at the end they were at peace with oneanother. I still can't forget the awful rows, but I have forgiven them, they never did understand how unhappy and scared my sister and me were. :(

:D My Dad was very mild tempered most of the time, but Mum would wake him up in the middle of the night and start one of her rants.

Pom it's wonderful that you can grow up in an unhappy house and turn it round yourself. But on the other hand my mother's parents marriage was a love story from start to finish. It was very hard for mom knowing how good family life could be. She became unstable herself, not as bad as your mom, but enough to try to put her head in the gas oven, she was so unhappy.

So sad.....

:D And now on my soapbox...
Too many people and young adults committing crimes and voilance use a bad, or violent upbringing as an excuse. We were not the only family in our street, or area who suffered in this way, but most of the kids I knew grew up to be fine everyday kind of people living relatively happy normal lives. There was the odd crim’ of course, but then there always will be. :!:

I totally agree Pom. But I know how lucky I was to have the most wonderful Aunts, they got me through some bad times. Families don't seem to be as close today, we all move away don't we. Some further than others :D

:D Di you were lucky. None of our rellies would talk to our family, as I have said in another topic 'We Don't Talk Anymore'.

My mom and dad used to argue and fight like cat and dog. As a youngster, many's the time I have stepped in between my parents to stop my dad from strangling my mom.
My parents have been gone for many years and so have most of my relatives. I mentioned to my older sister a few months ago, that I might try and find out if my dads brother, living in London, was still alive and maybe visit him.
She weny balistic and informed me that my dad and him had a terrific fight, when he found out that my mom had been sleeping with my uncle and dad had caught them.
Lots of things became clearer then.

Pom, no matter how much my parents fought they never touched me or my siblings. But I suppose it affected all of us mentally. I refuse to argue with my wife in case I loose my temper and hit her like my father hit my mother. Even if I'm in the right I will still apologise rather than face a confrontation with her. :wink:

Life is hell for children whose parents are unhappy. I heard some body say the other day that it is right to stay together for the sake of the children. If only they knew what harm it does to a child. My mother took me away from it all for two years during the war. We went to Hamstead where she was born, and where she went for my birth. We lived with my Aunt Jane and they were the brightest and best years I had. Mom was a happy thirty something, laughed a lot and met an American soldier who wanted to take us back to the USA; but she wanted my father so we went back to Witton and the misery that lay ahead of us.

I think I am fairly even tempered, but I hate injustice of any kind. It is almost a religion. I am glad that I am able to rationalise those times. I walked away for some years, I just couldn't take the fights any more. I wanted to love my dad, but he didn't want to be loved just to be obeyed. When I married we both tried hard but he still treated my mom badly and there was no common ground for us, and the injustice got in the way again. The day we buried him I cried for such a wasted life.

Back