• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thanks - post your thanks here

Of a few historical and transport related fora I visit , without doubt this is the best. It is well maintained, occasionally feathers are ruffled, but there is none of the nastiness that can be encountered in some other places.
Given that many subjects about Birmingham are dealing with a long time ago, many of the buildings and businesses have gone making the city almost unrecognisable for many. However it is great that so much, that has gone, has been recorded here and does remind older Members of what they once knew and enlightens younger ones about what once existed.
Posters have their own contributions to making it a highly valuable source of information for research. Most of us have our own particular field of interest which helps make for an worthwhile place to visit.
Ancestry does not interest me - I have my own catalogued - however the city and its history does and that is why I am here.

The 'backroom boys' are to be complemented: a onerous, at times, task but is the main reason for the success and friendliness found on BHF. Thanks a million! :) To their credit BHF shows no sign of dwindling support.

The problem with the Forum is that for me it is addictive, in the MOST positive way. I joined in 2015 while I was still working full time and after I retired I started to look.
Now I get up usually at 5.30 am central, have a cup of Typhoo with my wife (well at least half a cup) then go sit in front of my computer. Unfortunately :grinning: I do that four of 5 times per day. So much so that MS Edge lets me one click and go to BHF!
Most have you have said similar things but keeping my mind alive with great memories is truly wonderful. I have relived my early years SO many times.

Thank you all so VERY VERY much!

Thank you changinman1.
We must be doing something right because on another site today someone asked a question and they were given a link to BHF to find the answer.

The secret of BHF is that although most members have never met each other they know they are amongst friends.

well this forum and its members has certainly helped me to get through the past 3 months but as i have said many times before this is a team effort... without its members we would not be here...without the backroom team the same applies so a round of applause to everyone :) :) :)

lyn

Thank you changinman1.
We must be doing something right because on another site today someone asked a question and they were given a link to BHF to find the answer.

The secret of BHF is that although most members have never met each other they know they are amongst friends.
Alberta you are so right. During my years researching family history I joined several geneaology and history sites. I now only visit two regularly and by far the best one (Visited several times daily) is BHF. The information given so freely and helpfully by so knowledgeable members on this site is second to none. On the other site I visit I have often referred people to BHF.
Jim

To maybe the Moderators or everyone.....Is there a history of the Forum? It would seem there might be something or even a simple chronology: When did it start, by whom, how long etc.
Just curious!

I happened to drop on it by chance 11 years ago, and it as given me so much enjoyment since plus the bonus of our occasional meets (out of the question at the moment). Living alone its like having friends into my house. Like a previous member said it would be nice to know its history and how it all started and by who. Eric

This site is an amazing community effort, it is that what make it work so well. All these minds coming together to support each other’s understanding of past events.

Crowd thinking is an immensely powerful tool, and as we often seen, the combined efforts of the membership here has solved some complex and interesting problems.

Together we underpin all of this with mutual respect and dignity. This creates an incredibly special community of people. It’s why I love the place, not that I know anything about history.

To maybe the Moderators or everyone.....Is there a history of the Forum? It would seem there might be something or even a simple chronology: When did it start, by whom, how long etc.
Just curious!

hi richard as far as i know and i stand to be corrected i think the forum was put together in 2002 by john houghton and rod birch...rod is sadly no longer with us and john still keeps in touch with the forum.. after going through a rocky patch and to save us losing the forum postie (jim) came to the rescue and took over round about 2009 i think...and as they say the rest is history :) thanks again everyone for your kind comments...

lyn

hi richard as far as i know and i stand to be corrected i think the forum was put together in 2002 by john houghton and rod birch...rod is sadly no longer with us and john still keeps in touch with the forum.. after going through a rocky patch and to save us losing the forum postie (jim) came to the rescue and took over round about 2009 i think...and as they say the rest is history :) thanks again everyone for your kind comments...

lyn
Lyn, thank you for that....It all pre dates my participation. As they say, out of adversity comes success! I think a Great Brit Sir Winston (I am a disciple) himself said something like that. And certainly success is upon the Forum! As Morturn said so well, "crowd thinking is an immensely powerful tool".

Thank you again Lyn.........

Back