• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Keith Fordyce after the song. Was it 'Thank your Lucky Stars' or another show.

Keith Fordyce Hosted Ready Steady go:)

DOES ANYBODY KNOWS WETHER KEITH FORDYCE IS STILL ALIVE
What ABOUT JANICE NICHOLLS I WONDER WHAT SHE IS DOING NOW ,
FOR ALIVING ---- ANY GUESS,S ANY BODY . ASTONIAN ;;;

Hi While doing the music for the sixties night youtube was an obvious choice and If you go to youtube and type in goodbye lucky stars you will see 1 of 4 clips relating to lucky stars with Janice Nichols mersey night :)

Here is Keith Fordyce during his heyday at 208 Radio Luxembourg 'Your Station of the Stars'
The other two are David Gell on the left and Don Moss in the middle.

....and one for Jean as well!

In answer to redmanc's query, The Seekers featured on the 10 April 1965 edition
of 'Thank your Lucky Stars' along with The Kinks, Donovan, Walker Brothers and
others. Their single 'A World of our Own' was just released about this time so a
lot of his query seems accurate.

I've just found this pic on allmusic.com on a biography of Judith Durham.
Is it from 'Thank your Lucky Stars' anyone?:)

Astonian, about 5 years ago Janice Nicholls was working in the shoe department of Beatties in Wolverhampton, my friends and I stopped and had a little chat with her.

This has got nothing to do with “Thank Your Luck Stars”, but is in the same vein as what started this thread. How many of these acts can you put a name to. They were all active in Birmingham in the 60’s and 70’s.

Some of them probably never got on to the box. But nevertheless they were well known to the Birmingham club and dance scene. So all you ravers should do well. Number them from left to right No 1 being in the top left hand corner and finish at no 10 in the bottom right corner.

Its just a bit of fun and nostalgia for the weekend, if no one gets them all right by Sunday night I will post the answers.

Phil

Last edited:
The only one jumps out to me is The Spencer Davis group bottom left:thumbsup:Mau-reece

Denny Laine and the Diplomats top left. The Move bottom right. Possibly The Rockin' Berries in the middle. Number 9, my husband says the chap in the middle is Alan Hunter, who now runs a nursery in Box Trees Lane.

Ann

Mossy

Sorry number 3 is incorrect, I would think that number 3 is one of the most well known ones on the photo, though not one of my favourites as they are from a later time.

What number does Spencer Davis "Run" at you from?

Phil

Ann & Mossy

On reflection I have decided it best if I don't give results until tomorrow evening, as it may spoil the game for others, but I will post a list of who got what and who got it first at that time.

Phil

Cheers Phil,
I think my husband will be glad to know the answer to no. 9. He's remembered another band member, right on the photo is Dave Castle, but just can't remember the band's name. Driving him mad!

Ann

Ann

Get hubby to nick down to Box Trees Nursery, he can get you that plant you want at the same time. (how do I know? women always want new plants).

Phil

I don't think so Phil. If he chooses a plant for me as well as he chose the last bunch of flowers. I hate carnations. What did he get me!

Ann

Anybody else going to have a crack at this, there are 4 bands/groups that no one has attempted yet. No's 2, 5, 7 & 9. I know that some of you must recognise No 5 as they were the resident band in a venue mentioned many times on this forum.

Phil

I dont know about the resident band bit but as has been said before 2 is Mike Sarne (come Outside) 5 Certainly looks like Jim Dale & 9 is from the Searchers whos name eludes me at the moment (Mental abberation) and 7 is From the Seekers and of That I am Sure I Think????

Hi otherhalf

If you look at post 42 on this thread, you will see that there is another set of photo's relating to groups that have a connection to Birmingham. Those are the ones that require identification in a separate quiz/contest.

Phil

Back