• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
This is a publicity shot for the 60's popular music programme "Thank Your Lucky Stars" featuring some of those who appeared on its 200th show.

I thought it might be fun to see how many faces you can put a name to. Some are members of groups, so if you want to lump some numbers together under the name of a group that will work.

To be honest although I have a list of names I am not sure I can match them to the right faces and I am not quite sure it is complete.

So in essence its just a bit of fun to get the memory working.

Phil

Thank Your Lucky Stars Special 1965 .jpg

Last edited:
I know a few Phil

5. Jim Dale, 7. Don Lang? 9,11,12,13,14. The Searchers Tony Jackson one of them, 16 Pete Murry 8, Brian Mathews, 6 Helen Shapiro, 2. Mike Sarne,

Thats about it.

:)

Yes she was I have her on my notes and forgot to put her on, I'll be given Fove minus for that:)

Wheres Phil?

Right lads

As I said I have no definite answers to this, but I think the ones you have named so far are right. With two exceptions. I don't think No 7 is Don Lang only because I think I know who No 7 is and the person I think it is ties in with the photo.

The other one I am not so sure about, Alf I think you are right about the Searchers, but I thought there was always only four in the group.

As I say I only have a list, and I don't think it is complete by a long shot, so lets leave it for a while and see what others think, then if we can't work it out I will publish the list, but I don't think it will help much.

Phil

Hi Phil, It was Tony Jackson as 5th member and shortly after one left and then there were four Seachers again
again:)

Last edited:
Janice was my cousins cousin if you get my meaning. Moms brother married Ada whose sister had Janice. :confused2::confused2::confused2: Is this open to ladies only lads are mentioned. :crying::crying::angel:

Alf

You are very likely right, as I say I just didn't remember there being five in the group.

Mayfield

You are right about the delicious judith Durham and the Seekers, she was the first one I spotted, I have to admit I was in love with her when I was sixteen, but I think you need to take another look at No 2.

Phil

Especially for you Jean

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=umVbRIAr818"]YouTube - "I Remember You" by Frank Ifield[/ame]

Have his autograph from I think six five speciall on the cross. He borrowed my biro to sign autographs then walked away. I HAD HIM AND HE DID SIGN MY BOOK MIGHT AUCTION IT ON B BAY IF I CAN FIND IT. Thanks for that Keith much appreciated. Time for a glass of wine to recover. Jean.

Mayfield

Re I remember You

If I told you that I think this singer was someone else and I thought his backing singer on his big hit was Wendy Richard would that help you and anyway Alf has already given the right answer to No 2.

Phil

The wife & I have had a stab at this and come up with the following.

1/ Seeker?
2/ Mike Sarne.
3/ Seeker-Judith Durham.
4/ Seeker?
5/ Jim Dale.
6/ Helen Shapiro.
7/ Seeker- Keith Podger.
8/ Brian Matthew.
9/ Searcher-John McAnally.
10/ Janice Nicholl.
11/ Mark Winter
12/ Searcher-Tony Jackson.
13/ Searcher-Mike Pinder.
14/ Searcher-Chris Curtis.
15/ ?
16/ Pete Murray.
17/ ?
18/ ?
19/ Wendy Richard.
20/ ?
21/ Searcher-Frank Allen.

Maurice.

Is it possible to increase the size of the photo more than the 'increased' size? Me old eyes can't make out the faces, even though I'm sure I recognise a few, including Pete Murray and Tommy Steele.

Couldn't see Judith Durham, sad to say. She was gorgeous. I saw The Seekers at The Hippodrome in the sixties, and happily took a good pair of binoculars the better to see that lovely lady. Who, I think, is still singing.

Big Gee

Big Gee I'll repost the photo at a larger size for those of us with failing eyesight like myself. I will remove it later if required.

I think mossg is almost there, but I don't think Wendy Richard is on the photo. I think there is only one solo artist to find now, so its just a matter of naming a group of females and a solo female.

Phil

Thank Your Lucky Stars Special 1965 .jpg

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help. I can't really add much to what other folks have posted, except that if Mike Sarne was on the photo (which I think he is) then Wendy Richard would be too - remember their hit "Come Outside"? I think Moss G has got it about right.

Blimey, this brings back memories of spending Saturday evenings slicking down the hair and greasing me legs into drainpipes, watched all the time by my disapproving dad!

Strangely enough, not more than a couple of years later, I had hair down to my shoulders, a Zappata moustache, and bell-bottoms....

Regards,

Big Gee

Is it possible to increase the size of the photo more than the 'increased' size? Me old eyes can't make out the faces, even though I'm sure I recognise a few, including Pete Murray and Tommy Steele.

Couldn't see Judith Durham, sad to say. She was gorgeous. I saw The Seekers at The Hippodrome in the sixties, and happily took a good pair of binoculars the better to see that lovely lady. Who, I think, is still singing.

Big Gee

I the one you think could be Tommy Steel is one of the Searchers Gee.:)

I have just tracked down this full list of performers on the 200th show of Thank Your Lucky Stars. Obviously some of them are not on the photo. I think the final few that we failed to name between us are the TV times reporter and the Lucky Stars Dancers who are sitting along the front.

The full list of performers on the 200th show was.

The Beatles (film clip)
Dave Clark Five
Mike Sarne
The Seekers
Dusty Springfield
Jim Dale
Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen
Billy Fury
The Searchers with Tony Jackson
Helen Shapiro
Mark Wynter
Brian Mathews Pete Murray
Janice Nicholls

Jackie Crier (from the TV Times) Interviewing the Lucky Stars Dancers.
Linda Lawrence, Susan Robinson, Diane South , Sacha Davis.

Phil

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone out there who used to go to Thank Your Lucky Stars every week like me and my friend. We used to send a sae every week for tickets, if we didn't receive any we still used to turn up early on the Sunday lunch time. The security man would let us in when we hadn't any tickets.
We used to help Jim Dale carry his suits etc to his car that would be parked down a side street off Aston Road North. We were even on the televsion once when the Hollies sang in the aisle in the audience. Happy Days.

Glad to see some Judith Durham admirers here. Can some of you confirm my fading
memory. I seem to remember a TV show with The Seekers singing their new release
single "World of our own". Judith was wearing a revealing neckline and was speaking
to Keith Fordyce after the song. Was it 'Thank your Lucky Stars' or another show.

Back