• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Text translation

changinman1

master brummie
Hi I have a death certificate that I’m trying to understand and not my family but it’s bugging me , what is the word before coma please , I can’t make it out 1649320865012.png

I guessed INANITION.
When I looked it up it is exhaustion caused by a lack of nutrients. Apparently can be caused by starvation amongst other things.
If you look the word up you will get some medical references.

I guessed INANITION.
When I looked it up it is exhaustion caused by a lack of nutrients. Apparently can be caused by starvation amongst other things.
If you look the word up you will get some medical references.
Hi Janice ....and is that condition linked to coma then ?? , thats actually a good shout , thankyou , it does make sense , its like the inability to carry on living or wanting to live and exhaustion from lack of nourishment ....hard to believe for someone from knowle its an affluent area . ....thankyou

Hi I have a death certificate that I’m trying to understand and not my family but it’s bugging me , what is the word before coma please , I can’t make it out View attachment 168910
I have consulted with he good lady who says the word is “inanition”. Its an old medical term not used today for severe weakness and wasting as occurs from lack of food or nourishment.

It would not normally be used on a death certificate today as its not really identifying the cause of death, it’s a symptom. As the person is only 53 it maybe they had a wasting disease such as cancer or something else the doctors could not identify.

Thanks Morturn forgot your good lady was a medical lady.
Did think it wasn't an illness itself but came as the result of, in this case, an unidentified illness.

Knowle is an affluent area now, but wasn't necessarily in 1896; there are still a lot of small 19th-century artisan's cottages around. By way of comparison, Castle Bromwich was, at least in the 1970s, considered relatively upmarket, but the house we lived in, though now thoroughly modernised, had been a simple farm-worker's cottage, and even when we bought it in 1973 it didn't have a bathroom or an indoor toilet.

Knowle is an affluent area now, but wasn't necessarily in 1896; there are still a lot of small 19th-century artisan's cottages around. By way of comparison, Castle Bromwich was, at least in the 1970s, considered relatively upmarket, but the house we lived in, though now thoroughly modernised, had been a simple farm-worker's cottage, and even when we bought it in 1973 it didn't have a bathroom or an indoor toilet.
You are right yes demographics change , and people and money move around .

Back