• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tetley

darz

proper brummie kid
Hi,

I am researching my partners family tree and have come to a minor halt. I am researching 'Beatrice Nellie Tetley' born 17 Feb 1904 in Kings Norton. I dont know her parents names and I have been told she was an only child and that her father owned a chain of shoe stores in Birmingham around the 1920's. She migrated to Australia in 1923 age 19 and apparently her father disowned her for it.

If anyone has any information I would really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Daria :)

Reference for birth is 6c 533

There is a marriage of a Clement Harry Tetley in Kings norton 1903
reference 6c 851

Birth certificate will have fathers name.

Order certificates online www.gro.gov.uk

I have now received the birth cert for Beatrice

Her father was William Joseph Tetley - Occupation Iron Turner and her mother was Hannah Maria Jones.

It looks like Beatrice was born at home - 31 Exeter Rd, Smethwick

William Joseph Tetley married Hannah Maria Jones in 1891 Birmingham
ref. 6d 17

1891 38 Wells street,Smethwick
William Tetley age 25 b. Smethwick Iron turner
Hannah M age 18 b. Barrow Lancs.

1901 31 Exeter Street,Smethwick
George howell age 26 b. Birmingham fruit merchant
Eliza Ann Howell age 27 b. Barrow Lancs
Rup Hnry? age 4b. smethwick
William age 2 b. Smethwick
William Jos. Tetley age 34 b. Smethwick ,Brother in law ,Iron turner
Hannah M age 28 b. Barrow Lancs, sister in law

I have just searched Ancestry 1901 census for this and it is comming up as Hannah and William Selley.

Could someone please tell me why there are different transcriptions? Do different sites differ this much?

Sorry I should have told you that it was transcribed incorrectly.
But if you view the original copy and check the letters with others on the page, plus the address and the names ,occupation and ages tie in,it is pretty conclusive.

I can sometimes sympathise with the transcribers as in this case but often the names on the index are nothing like on the original copy.

You sometimes have to be a bit of a detective.

Thanks for that. If you dont know the name you can see how they got 'selley'. It took me ages to find the right one.???

I am only new to searching UK records - is ancestry.com the best site for searching for BDM records or is there another site I can use?

Thanks for all your help - it has made such a difference....:)

Back