• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Terms' children use

When my daughter Rachael was little, she couldn't say her name properly and called herself "Raunchen". I sometimes call her by it now, and she remembers.
She sometimes wears a "Dressing gownd", she picked that phrase up from her mother!

Hi Lloyd,

That's strange, my wife still calls them a 'dressing gownd' at the age
of 63. This must be a genuine Brummie expression, and not just an aberration!

Kind regards

Dave

When my middle son was about three we went to Cornwall to see my Mother and we decided to go to St Ives for the day and he announced to everyone that he was going to De Dives and we still call it that now.:)

When my son was around three he called his Rabbit "bummyrabi" - all rabbits are now called this. and he is now 40. !!

Mirian:D

When Anthony my grandson was very young he knew the Villa players by name until Millosoviche joined. He used to call him lots and lots of fish but we knew who he meant. Jean.

When my youngest daughter was 3 and were in town she insisted on going on the "alligator" - meaning she wanted to go up on the escalator! We still call them this now!:D

Hi All,

My second daughter Patsy is now 55 but we all remember this incident when she wa about 4 or 5. We took her to the cinema for the first time and she was very good sitting quietly throughout. A few weeks later when a film suitable for youngsters was showing we took her again and she was very excited when we told her. We entered the cinema and took our seats. Patsy made herself comfortable and then said in a very loud voice "I WILL SEAT HERE UNTIL THE ICE CREAM LADY COMES".

It amused all those around us but showed us that all she was interested in was the ice cream.

Old Boy

When my nephew was about 6 years old , his mon and dad took him on holiday to devon, in the hotel there was some identical twins and james inquired
" why have those boys got the same head on "
a great line i think.

Mike

I remember when I was a kid , after my dad telling me that an 'L' plate on a car meant the driver was a learner,he fell about laughing when I asked him if a 'GB' plate meant he was getting better,----Mal.

When my daughter was about 6 yrs old, she used to call cauliflower-'cauliflavour' and the parsons nose was 'the parsnips nose'

My grandson, Liam, aged 3, told us there was a 'bumbabby' in the garden. We couldn't figure out what he was referring to until we saw ............. a bumble bee!!!!! Bless him. :)

His brother, Luke, now aged 5, couldn't say my daughter Louise's name when he was younger and called her Nou Nou. We all still call her that now.

Not actually anything he said, but an alarming reaction.

My grandson, aged about 4 at the time, was taken to the pantomime at Christmas. Although he had been to the cinema and, of course, watched television he had never been to a live performance on a stage.

He enjoyed it at first but went crazy when some of the characters stepped out of "the screen" and came down to interact with the audience.
He thought that they were on a screen, not actually real people.

It took several liquorice allsorts to settle him down afterwards.

Not actually anything he said, but an alarming reaction.

My grandson, aged about 4 at the time, was taken to the pantomime at Christmas. Although he had been to the cinema and, of course, watched television he had never been to a live performance on a stage.

He enjoyed it at first but went crazy when some of the characters stepped out of "the screen" and came down to interact with the audience.
He thought that they were on a screen, not actually real people.

It took several liquorice allsorts to settle him down afterwards.

Now that sounds a bit sad to me. What a shame that children relate to screens and not reality. I fear for the future.:(

Now that sounds a bit sad to me. What a shame that children relate to screens and not reality. I fear for the future.:(
Not all Maggs. We took our two four year old grandchildren to the hippodrome to see the pantomime in January. We were a bit concerned as it included a robot which I thought might scare them. It was so well done it didn't scare them at all. When the dancing started they both stood up and joined in! To the delight of the people behind us. We had the biggest laugh when my granddaughter shouted he's disappeared but she changed the D to a P.:D:D

Great the way small children mis-pronounce words and names !! When my daughter was small she occasionally went to a childminder if her mother and I happened both to be working - the lady was called Erica but my daughter always called her 'Erkin'

Hi Everyone

When I was little my Mom used to correct me if I ever said 'winda' instead of 'window'. I applied the same logic to a banana......and called it a bananow.....:D

Back