• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ten Acres Stirchley

Re: Ten Acres and Stirchley Co op

hi Linda,do you know that TASCOS is closing this Friday,march 29th March 2013? and soon to be knocked down to make the car park of Tescos!! what a shame

hi,there i went to the meeting regarding the building of the tesco store,it was said by the tesco reps that.the stirchley united was to be moved.they had been offered the old quik save store but had turned it down as being to small.theywere also offered ,the three horse shoes,but what they will do is anybodys guess. t.a.s.c.o.s wa supposed to be staying.regards john

Hi John,heard last night that Stirchley working mans club is buying The 3 Horseshoes pub,the old scruffy Stirchley baths is going to be the community club,the indoor bowls is moving to Kings Heath and Tescos hoping to open xmas 2015!! Heard that this friday night is party night at Tascos club as it is the last night and will remain empty untill it is knocked down and tarmaced over,shame.

i worked in the co-op buchers in stirchley, and in the slaughter house there, we only slaughtered pigs and sheep though no cattle, the co-op had its finger in every pie i think, i think what used to be the slaughter house if my memory serves me right is a sausage factory now.
My wifes uncle worked at the coop butchers in Stirchley for years, his name was Ted Strickley.

Not sure if this is connected, but I took some photos in Stirchley today.

Including Ten Acres Mews - Cox Wilcox & Co Ltd

And the Dogpool Hotel

Also mention of TASCOS on here outside the (former) Public Baths

And on here (near Fordhouse Lane junction)

The Divi always paid for our school uniform and winter shoes, 51193 still there after 65 yrs quoting the number to the Coop on Gristhorpe Rd/Raddlebarn an to the milk man an breadman an woe betide you if you forgot,My Nan and Granddad lived in Saint Stephens Rd over the road from the Dogpool Hotel an I went to Selly Park School like my Mom it feels such a long time ago now.

Blue plaque for Mary Cottrell at 1393 - 1395 Pershore Road, Stirchley, former site of a Co-operative Bakery. Seen in the heavy rain.

She lived to 101!

The Central Bakery dated 1891.

The shops there today.
Em's Pet Food Store on the left at 1395 Pershore Road. Isherwood & Co. on the right at 1393 Pershore Road.

In January 2020 The Co-op supermarket in Stirchley, the area’s oldest retailer with a 100 plus year history (TASCOS) will be closing. Morrison’s will be taking over.

The Pershore Road area between Dogpool Lane at on end and Fordhouse Lane at the other has until recently been relatively underdeveloped. It still has a good number of original Victorian and Edwardian retail units but with gentrification of the residential side streets the Pershore Road is due to change.... Lidl...Asda... Tesco are still poised to move in.

Will it be a soulless redevelopment like old Small Heath or Bearwood, or something which still retains its character, like Harborne or Selly Oak.... I think I will always prefer the latter.

Last edited:
It seems that the Co-Op, generally speaking, has moved away from supermarket type stores to smaller convenience ones. They did this many years ago in Devon. The larger supermarkets have also moved, to a degree, in that direction as it seems to be more profitable with less overheads. Personally I have never liked very large supermarkets: you can spend far too much time finding what you really need, rather than what they think you should have! :D

I take your point Alan, but when large firms do go to smaller size outlets they often use it as an excuse to raise prices, citing increased costs, even if the smaller one is only a couple of miles away. From experience, Tesco is particularly prone to this, and I gather from the Watchdog, on tv, that M & S do this a lot with their small stores, including the many they have in hospitals

You can't have it all ways, guys! :)

Here I know the layout of all the major stores that we use, but Lidl are the worst for changing things around. No disrespect to the ladies, but men alone do the shopping far quicker - they know what they want and go straight to it. Ladies get waylaid by special offers, chatting to people they know, even if they saw them only the night before, and just impulse buying. I don't think I've been in Stirchly since 1960 more than once, and that was just passing through!

Maurice :cool:

Yep things are certainly changing. I remember being the very first person through the checkouts when Tesco opened their first Small Heath store in the early 60’s.. It was considered to be a shopping revolution at the time and the Evening Mail photographer was there to record the occasion... Didn’t hang around though, paid for my single bag of crisps and legged it!

Been at our premises in Stirchley for nearly 40 years now and often wonder why we have stayed so long. Perhaps it because the shops have mainly all been community based and located close to or en-route to some of the wealthier areas of South Brum. Met a lot of interesting people, visited some lovely homes and made some good friends. Perhaps that is what community shops are about, I feel as if I am on an alien planet whenever I am forced to visit any high street full of national multiples.. Profit, profit, profit! Yawn, yawn, yawn!

Sorry to see you go old Co-op, you may not have been the best of supermarket retailers but at least you were our own.

Maybe they will open elsewhere not to far away, where parking may be easier. Most Co-Op societies have grouped the others to make smaller outlets.

I think there are enormous changes coming about to all retailers everywhere, large and small. Before Tesco abandoned their original plan to develop the Stirchley site, their proposal was for 24 hours opening with home deliveries run from the same buildings. Perhaps this is what Morrisons are planning? Out of town shopping centres are now discouraged and with our need to drastically cut energy emissions and reduce our dependence on oil, easily accessible local units with “bricks and clicks” are being proposed as the way forward.
It will interesting to see how it develops.

It seems that most of the Co-Op threads are a mixture of TASCOS and BCS, irrespective of thread title. It makes searching a little difficult. Maybe they might be better just as Co-Op rather than individually named? It is fine for us older folk we probably know the difference but it might not be apparent to younger people.

Back