• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ten Acres Stirchley

Was,nt Ten Acres A Dairy And Not A Bakers Or Msy be I AM Thinking Of A Waccondon ,s
Dairy That Was ,And There Yard Was Some where BY Where The Police Traing Ground Or Round About Where The Animal Sanction Is Today ,

I recall the phrase "tenacres and Stirchley" and the dairy I remember was co-op..........can't recall a bakers, but I can't recall much at all these days....

Hi Badger
You Are Quite Right Ten Acres Many Years Ago Was The Dairy At The Co/op
And Ten ACRES Was At The Site In Stichley And Now The CO/OP
As A Big Super Store On The Site Now They Done Away With The Dairy
Its There Stirchley Store Now ,Also On Route Many Moons Ago There Was
A Small Dairy Called Waccondons On The Bristol Rd Bournville

There are quite a few pictures of TASCOS in the book
The Co-Op in Birmingham by Linda & Anthony Chew.

Heres one

Last edited:
Re Kelly's 1908, my g.g. grandmother, Mrs. Harriet Fleming has an entry as a shopkeeper at 43 Ten Acres Street Northfield via Stirchley.

Postie.........Is that archway, where the funeral place was.....I worked in the co-op garage at one point in Charlotte Road I think it was. I served petrol and sometimes greased the milk floats and all the other co-op vehicles including the hearses. I was Invited down to the "parlour" to have a look round but I chickened out. I progressed to driving the drug delivery van to all the co-op chemists.

HI FOLKS ,
I Thought I Would Just Add To A Thread Mentioned By Badger
The Other Day About Ten Acres Stirchley Regarding A Bakers There In Time Gone Bye , Well YesThere Was One There , I Was In Stirchley Yesterday
And I Was At The Mr/ Mrs Mctighe ,s Whom As One Of The Earliest
To Do An Article On Our ForumAnd With Carl Chinns
As To When He Arrived In This Country From Ireland,He As Lived Down On The Pershore Rd For Many Many Years Since Coming Over FromIreland
And He Set Up A Printing Bussiness , Any Way Getting Back To The Bakers
Its Works Out That I Was Right About The Dairy , But I Never Knew They Was Operating Ajoing Bakers At The Same Time With The Dairy
And His Daughter Told Me Yesterday How She Would Go Down The Pershore Rd With A Penny To Buy A Cream Cake And Fetch The Bread For Her Mom
Mary And Her Dad ,And Because The Bakery Was Doing So Well Then they Openend A Cake Shop Which Was On The Front ,Then The co/op shop
Openend Up Now Replaced With A Super Store And Closed There Bakery
So Badger Was Right After ALL . BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;

i worked in the co-op buchers in stirchley, and in the slaughter house there, we only slaughtered pigs and sheep though no cattle, the co-op had its finger in every pie i think, i think what used to be the slaughter house if my memory serves me right is a sausage factory now.

I worked in the TASCOS offices in Umberslade Road for quite a few years, in the Credit Sales Office. My boss was Sid Watts. My sister Pauline worked in the typist's office. I met my husband when I worked there. He worked in TASCOS garage as a mechanic.

Ten Acres and Stirchley Co op

Around Yardley Wood where I lived it was serviced by the Ten Acres and Stirchley Coop, my moms number?
37918, two numbers that live forever in ones memory, that one and your Army number 22214003, Bernard

Re: Ten Acres and Stirchley Co op

View attachment 62922Hello Bernard. These were the men responsible for that.
1a.jpeg

TASCOS was the forunner of The Birmingham CO-OP Society and the first TASCOS shop was in the front room of the house behind the group above who were resposible for it. The house was in Hazelwell Street.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard, you might be interested to know that the original T.A.S.C.O.S shop in School Road, Yardley Wood still stands although now empty. Amazingly the original name etched in stone was uncovered when the last tennents moved out and is still on display. (I went past it this morning). Probably be worth getting a photo of it.

Bernard, you might be interested to know that the original T.A.S.C.O.S shop in School Road, Yardley Wood still stands although now empty. Amazingly the original name etched in stone was uncovered when the last tennents moved out and is still on display. (I went past it this morning). Probably be worth getting a photo of it.
Hi Mike all the shops on that side used to belong to the Coop,
the other side was the paper shop and an ironmongers when we had to take our accumulator to be charged up at tuppence a time! I was in the area last year for my sister in law funeral from Cleeve Road,
cheers now Bernard ( much prefer where I live now)

Last edited:

Hi Mike all the shops on that side used to belong to the Coop,
the other side was the paper shop and an ironmongers when we had to take our accumulator to be charged up at tuppence a time! I was in the area last year for my sister in law funeral from Cleeve Road,
cheers now Bernard ( much prefer where I live now)
I believe the pub next door, the Haven, my parents spent hours, and pounds in there is now an old folks home.

Bernard, what a coincidence, my auntie lives in Cleeve Road now and has for some time. She remembers the TASCO shops and also the Haven pub.
Small world really I guess
Sue

Hi Sue, I lived at 67 Cleeve from 1932 until 1957 when Enid and I moved to Burton on Trent under the
Overspill Scheme, my sister in law Barbara lived there after my brother died, she passed away last
year, as you say, "A small world" Bernard ps I have an electral roll for Cleeve Road if you are interested.

Image_28229~5.jpg

The new premises complete with meeting rooms opened in 1878. The new building can be seen behind the lorry and it later became a Midlands Co-op Funeral Home.

Last edited by a moderator:

may i esquire where the photo was taken and if known what number please thanks

Back