• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ten Acres Stirchley

Old Ten Acres and Stirchley Co-op Society (TASCOS) Supermarket Stirchley shuts its doors this Saturday 25th after 105 years on the corner of Hazelwell Street and Umberslade Road. Co-op history group has put together a small presentation at the site along with lots of local history and photographs I've not seen before. Shame to see it go and I wonder if Morrisons who are taking over the site will be around in 105 years time.

The extensive list of TASCOS shops before they merged with the Birmingham Co-op in 1971 demonstrates what a force they once were to retailing in South Birmingham.

Attachments

• 885.jpg
    885.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 886.jpg
    886.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, a good display with lots of information. I'm told Morrisons won't be ready until about May. Sad to see the place go. I remember the dairy at the back, the furniture section and the hairdressers in the basement.

Back