• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Temporary structures, such as tin tabernacles, started to appear in the mid-19th century to provide a place of worship in rapidly expanding industrial towns and cities. Additionally, the rise of nonconformism required more places of worship.

Tin tabernacles, for example, could be quickly assembled and were originally intended to serve a temporary purpose until a more permanent structure of brick or stone could be built. They continued to be built until WW1.

Here are two Birmingham examples of churches which are still standing. These look like wooden versions of the temporary tabernacles. The Pershore Road building still stands alongside the stone/brick church built to replace it.

To develop a record of these around Birmingham, please post any images to this thread of those that are still standing and old images of those that have been lost. Thank you.

Screenshot_20240504_075828_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20240420_224012_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
There's this one on Aldridge Road, Streetly, now used as business premises. An unexpected location for a tin tabernacle - the nearby housing and other buildings are relatively modern so it would have once been pretty isolated in a rural setting.
Screenshot_20240504_210950_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
I thought someone had been reading my mind today when I saw this new thread about Tin Tabernacles as only this morning I have been researching such a building for a ‘Church Crawlers’ group visit here in Suffolk. There is a website devoted to tin tabernacles which lists just one such prefabricated hut in Birmingham that is on Warwick Road and described as Seventh Day Baptist Church. Tinpot

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    923.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    734.6 KB · Views: 13
I too have a fascination for these structures Tinpot. I used to go to a tin chapel that was a cafe in Faversham which was like a Tardis inside with a vaulted roof. It was a nice place to relax in my lunch break. Think it's since been converted into a home.

There's discussion about a fairly large Erdington tin tabernacle (see images) which no longer exists - see posts #38 - #48 on this link:

Screenshot_20240504_195610_Samsung Internet.jpg

Enlargement of the sign

Screenshot_20240505_101422_Samsung Internet.jpg

A bit of info gleaned from Showells 1881 Dictionary of Birmingham tells us this about other iron churches:

All Saints, Stechford
A temporary church of iron and wood, costing £620, seating for 320 worshippers, free seats and dedicated 18 December 1877

St Oswalds, Small Heath
Situated opposite Small Heath Park. An iron structure lined with wood, seating for 400 worshippers, costing £600, opened 10 August 1882. (Attached to St Andrews ?)

Cannon Hill Park (later named Oldknow Memorial Church, Small Heath)
An iron edifice opened 22 May 1874, but so few worshippers it was removed to Small Heath 22 May 1874 where it was used as a temporary Oldknow Memorial Church

Showells also points out "there is now no novelty in such erections, a score of which may be found within half the number of miles".

Last edited:
Temporary structures, such as tin tabernacles, started to appear in the mid-19th century to provide a place of worship in rapidly expanding industrial towns and cities. Additionally, the rise of nonconformism required more places of worship.

sa 02.jpg

What an interesting thread. The Pershore Road wooden church was originally build as a temporary church for St Agnes, Moseley. It was built in 1879 on glebe land in Oxford Road where St Marys Vicarage now stands. Amazingly close to St Marys Church! It was only in use for just over five years and was then sold to St Ambrose Church where it is still in use as the church hall. Have attached a picture of it in Oxford Road about 1880 - has changed little over the years.

Last edited:
I remember one of these corrugated steel churches in Kings Norton, close to the canal where Parson’s Hill meets Wharf Road on the bend of the road. Think it was painted green, but possibly black. No longer there, it was replaced by houses some time ago. Outside of Birmingham I’ve a feeling there’s one somewhere out the back of Coleshill, could be wrong though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Last edited:
I remember one of these corrugated steel churches in Kings Norton, close to the canal where Parson’s Hill meets Wharf Road on the bend of the road. Think it was painted green, but possibly black. No longer there, it was replaced by houses some time ago. Outside of Birmingham I’ve a feeling there’s one somewhere out the back of Coleshill somewhere, could be wrong though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.
There is one at Avoncroft museum Bromsgrove and also one used as a dance school in New John's st Stratford upon Avon.

I remember one of these corrugated steel churches in Kings Norton, close to the canal where Parson’s Hill meets Wharf Road on the bend of the road. Think it was painted green, but possibly black. No longer there, it was replaced by houses some time ago. Outside of Birmingham I’ve a feeling there’s one somewhere out the back of Coleshill, could be wrong though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.
Nether Whitacre Church Hall.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 8
There was a number of them until recently in Brownhills, Rushall areas of Walsall. Amazing how long some have existed, surely down to the quality of the galvanisation. Interesting thread which I am sure will be expanded upon in the coming days.
Back in the day, galvanizing was “hot dipped” tending to leave a thicker coating. Today most (not all) galvanizing is electro galvanizing which is basically a plating process. Electro galvanizing does work quite well, uses less material and is excellent for metalworking and takes paint very well with a smoother surface than hot dipped.

I've delved into the British History Online site to extract out any info about possible buildings of the type covered by this thread. Some are corrugated iron, others are wooden structures. Where relevant I've included some of the details of later places of worship to show the link with the earlier temporary buildings.

Baptists
Pershore Road
, Selly Park chapel, completed in 1877, cost £3,400 (W. Middlemore subscribed £2,600). 1892, provided 400 sittings. Services previously held in Dog Pool Chapel, a wooden mission hall erected in 1867 in St. Stephens Road by members of Bradford Street Circus Chapel. Sunday afternoon attendance in 1892 was 90. Membership, 228 in 1938, fell in 1956 to 82.

Victoria Road, Handsworth chapel, opened as a mission of Christ Church, Victoria Road, in 1885. Originally cottage meetings held at Mr Page's house. An iron sheeting building costing £240, sittings for 200. Sunday evening congregation in 1892 was 71.

Church Road, Yardley mission, a wooden building erected in 1873 by William Morgan of Stechford. In 1875 Warwick Road church took over. Permanent church built 1879, sittings for 160. Congregation of 146. Church became independent of Warwick Road in 1882. Membership in 1957 was 26.

Dartmouth Road, Bournbrook church hall, seating 350, built in 1932. Originally formed in 1894 which by 1902 held services in a corrugated iron building, 30 members. 1902 Darrtmouth Road was a mission of Francis Road. Membership in 1957 was 21.

Congregationalist
Stratford Road chapel
began in 1901 as an 'iron room', serving a large new housing estate. Carrs Lane chapel provided the mission room, and the Stoney Lane and Warwick Road churches were initially responsible for supplying ministers. The first permanent chapel completed in 1934. W. H. Bidlake design built on basilican plan, with a wide nave. Sittings for 377. Constructed of brick and stone, costing £10,000. Membership in 1957 was 192.

Friends Meeting
Conybeare Street mission hall
, a corrugated iron structure seating 50, was in use in c. 1884. Replaced in 1886 by new premises in Upper Highgate Street

Dawlish Road mission hall, a corrugated iron structure seating 150, opened in 1909, and may have replaced a meeting in Tiverton Road, registered for worship in 1900. The hall was closed in 1938.

Hay Green Lane mission hall, a corrugated iron building seating 100, used for Friends' meeting from 1903. Closed in 1940, and taken down.

Holly Avenue, Dogpool Hall, a corrugated iron building seating 150, was registered for public worship in 1906. Closed in 1939, suffered bomb damage in WW2 and dismantled.

Raddlebarn Lane mission hall (former building Friends Hall, Selly Hill) a corrugated iron building seating 150, opened in 1922 - preceded by another hall on the same site by Edward Cadbury 1903,- originally known as Friends Hall, Selly Hill. Destroyed by fire in 1916. During the intervening period the congregation met at Raddlebarn Lane Council School. Hall was closed 1950, then used by Birmingham corporation for educational purposes.

Station Road, Northfield mission hall, a corrugated iron building seating 100, opened in 1909. Preceded by a meeting-room in 1906. Taken over by the Brethren in 1943.

Methodists
Addison Road
, King's Heath chapel, a wooden building seating 150, for United Methodists in 1927. There was a Bible Christian chapel on the site in 1908. Membership in 1932 was 54.

Bolton Road mission hall
, a corrugated iron building used by the Wesleyans, open in 1908. In 1914 it was conducted by Handsworth Theological College. Building was sold in 1921 for £550.

Brays Road, Sheldon chapel, a wooden building formerly used by the Presbyterians, was re-opened by the Methodists in 1952.

Cartland Road, Stirchley chapel, a corrugated iron building, sittings for 160, erected by the Primitive Methodists in 1906, serving a congregation from cottage meetings. The first Stirchley Primitive Methodist meetings were in an old theatre. 1932 membership was 22.

Coventry Road, Hay Mills chapel opened by Wesleyans in 1929, cost £4,896. Built of brick for 300 seats, 2 ancillary rooms and school hall. Methodist worship in Hay Mills began before 1873, when a mission hall, in the Long Causeway, Coventry Road, was registered for public worship. Hall provided 120 sittings, sold shortly before 1897 for £425. Temporary accommodation obtained in an old iron building in bad repair 1929, seating 200. Congregation: 125 in 1892, 150 in 1929. Membership in 1932 was 124.

Dudley Road Trinity Chapel, a brick building for 500, 8 ancillary rooms, opened by Methodist New Connexion 1903. Fiirst chapel, opened in 1862, in Heath Street, Winson Green.1889 this was abandoned for a school-chapel in Dudley Road, where in 1892 a corrugated iron chapel was erected seating 350. Sunday evening attendance was 240. Membership was 47 in 1889; 14 in 1932.

Kings Norton Primitive Methodist chapel in 19th century on corner of Redditch Road and Masshouse Lane. Camp meetings held on the Green. 1916 a new corrugated iron building erected behind post office, sittings for 120. Sunday evening attendance 1892 was 37 Membership in 1932 18. Chapel sold in 1948.

Vicarage Road, Hazelwell chapel opened by Wesleyans in 1910, cost £2,414. Congregation previously met in a wooden mission hall, seating 100, built on rented land. New chapel, seating 262, (by E. and J. Harper) built of brindled brick with stone dressings. 1940 it comprised a main hall and 6 other rooms, 2 of which were school halls. Membership 1932 was 66.

Warwick Road, Sparkhill chapel opened by Wesleyans 1892, cost £6,180. A brick building, sittings for 750, (designers Hall and Son) 1940 comprised a main hall and 17 other rooms, one of which a school hall. Severely bomb damaged in WW2, subsequently rebuilt for £33,643. Originated in 1872, meetings, led by Bradford Street members, held at a house in Warwick Road, Greet. 1880 a wooden mission hall, seating 100, costing about £100, opened in Mountford Street. 1886 a new branch mission opened in new Stratford Road Board School. Two missions united in 1889. In 1890 wooden hall moved to Warwick Road. New chapel Sunday evening attendance of 435. Membership in 1932 was 282.

Washwood Heath Road, Ward End chapel, a corrugated iron structure seating 250, opened by Primitive Methodists in 1910, burned down in 1923, replaced by new building, registered for worship in 1925 but no longer in use in 1940. Membership in 1932 was 60.

Presbyterians
Presbyterian Church
in England, United Presbyterian Church, Presbyterian Church of England) Bray's Road Sheldon Free Church, a wooden building, registered for public worship in 1940. Bought by the Methodists in 1952.

Last edited:
Now here are some of the Churches' former metal or wooden buildings. Information extracted from the British History Online site:,:

All Saints Stechford, Albert Road (also mentioned in post #8) opened as an iron mission church of St. Edburgha's, Yardley, in 1877, known as All Saints church from 1892; permanent building, of brick with terracotta facings in the Decorated style woth a chancel, nave, lady chapel, aisles and vestries, was dedicated in 1898, consecrated in 1932

St Aidans, Small Heath - an iron mission church was built in 1893. It was demolished in 1896, when work commenced on the first part St Aidan's Church. The west wing work commenced in 1898.

St Benedict, Bordesley (Hob Moor Rd.), began as a temporary iron church in Holman Road opened in 1898 as a mission church of St. Oswald's, Bordesley. Iron church replaced in 1905 by Nicol & Nicol building, red brick in the Romanesque style, with apsidal chancel, side chapel, nave, N & S aisles and a west bellcot. Consecrated in 1910 & parish assigned out of St. Oswald's.

St Edmund, Tyseley (Reddings Lane), originally a mission church in 1895. In 1913 a new iron church was dedicated to St. Edmund as a mission of St.John's, Sparkhill. This second iron church survives as a church hall, consecrated in 1932. Replaced in 1940 by a new church (by H. Hobbiss) rectangular red brick, pantiled roof, round-headed openings, large NW tower.

St Germain, Edgbaston (City Rd & Portland Rd.), originated as an iron mission church in the parish of Christ Church, Summerfield, first licensed 1896 as City Road mission room. Enlarged 1899. In the parish of St. Augustine, Edgbaston in 1906, from 1907 known as St. Germain's. 1956 iron church used as church hall. New church (by E F Reynolds) built next to it, consecrated 1917, red brick Byzantine style with nave, aisles, semi-circular E end enclosing an ambulator

St Gregory the Great, Small Heath (Coventry Rd. and Oldknow Rd) originally an iron church - Church of the Good Shepherd - opened 1900 as mission of All Saints', Small Heath. Iron church being used as a parish hall in 1956. Beside it a permanent church begun in 1902, dedicated to St. Gregory the Great in 1912, consecrated in 1916. A tall, red brick Byzantine style building with N & S aisles

St Oswald of Worcester, Small Heath (Coventry Rd.), began as a temporary iron church licensed, from 1882, as a mission of St. Andrew's, Bordesley. Permanent Early English style, brick and stone building (by W. H. Bidlake) with chancel, chapel, vestries, and aisled nave. Consecrated 1893, enlarged 1899-1900.

St George (?) New Summer Street iron chapel licensed for public worship from 1867 to 1884

Last edited:
Now here are some of the Churches' former metal or wooden buildings. Information extracted from the British History Online site:,:

All Saints Stechford, Albert Road (also mentioned in post #8) opened as an iron mission church of St. Edburgha's, Yardley, in 1877, known as All Saints church from 1892; permanent building, of brick with terracotta facings in the Decorated style woth a chancel, nave, lady chapel, aisles and vestries, was dedicated in 1898, consecrated in 1932
St Aidans, Small Heath - an iron mission church was built in 1893. It was demolished in 1896, when work commenced on the first part St Aidan's Church. The west wing work commenced in 1898.
St Benedict, Bordesley (Hob Moor Rd.), began as a temporary iron church in Holman Road opened in 1898 as a mission church of St. Oswald's, Bordesley. Iron church replaced in 1905 by Nicol & Nicol building, red brick in the Romanesque style, with apsidal chancel, side chapel, nave, N & S aisles and a west bellcot. Consecrated in 1910 & parish assigned out of St. Oswald's.

St Edmund, Tyseley (Reddings Lane), originally a mission church in 1895. In 1913 a new iron church was dedicated to St. Edmund as a mission of St.John's, Sparkhill. This second iron church survives as a church hall, consecrated in 1932. Replaced in 1940 by a new church (by H. Hobbiss) rectangular red brick, pantiled roof, round-headed openings, large NW tower.

St Germain, Edgbaston (City Rd & Portland Rd.), originated as an iron mission church in the parish of Christ Church, Summerfield, first licensed 1896 as City Road mission room. Enlarged 1899. In the parish of St. Augustine, Edgbaston in 1906, from 1907 known as St. Germain's. 1956 iron church used as church hall. New church (by E F Reynolds) built next to it, consecrated 1917, red brick Byzantine style with nave, aisles, semi-circular E end enclosing an ambulator

St Gregory the Great, Small Heath (Coventry Rd. and Oldknow Rd) originally an iron church - Church of the Good Shepherd - opened 1900 as mission of All Saints', Small Heath. Iron church being used as a parish hall in 1956. Beside it a permanent church begun in 1902, dedicated to St. Gregory the Great in 1912, consecrated in 1916. A tall, red brick Byzantine style building with N & S aisles

St Oswald of Worcester, Small Heath (Coventry Rd.), began as a temporary iron church licensed, from 1882, as a mission of St. Andrew's, Bordesley. Permanent Early English style, brick and stone building (by W. H. Bidlake) with chancel, chapel, vestries, and aisled nave. Consecrated 1893, enlarged 1899-1900.

St George (?) New Summer Street iron chapel licensed for public worship from 1867 to 1884
Rr St Gregory the Great, Small Heath. I think I may have danced in the iron church as we used to do shows in what was then the church hall next door (now housing development) . I attended dance lessons at the dance school opposite Holy Family church and we did an annual show in the hall.
There’s no business like show business! Tinpot

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you remember the hall Tinpot. It must have made sense to turn these structures into places for community use. Eventually, I expect they would become difficult and costly to maintain as the building materials used deteriorated. Also, over time, I suppose the land they stood on became more valuable for other uses like housing.

This must have replaced the Cartland Road Methodist Chapel (post #15) at the junction of Cartland Road and Pershore Road. Now St Andrews Methodist Church

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508_072534_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508_072534_Maps.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 2
At the foot of Allens Croft Road near the junction with Brandwood Park Road in Kings Heath stands an Elim church. A brick building now, when I lived close by in the 70s and 80s it was a good deal smaller and I seem to remember it was of wooden construction.
Off on a tangent I know, but very close to that in Dawberry Fields there were two wooden buildings for the groundsman to use. They were actually quite attractive and wouldn’t have looked out of place on the American frontier a hundred years or so earlier. There was storage space for machinery etc inside and a living space including a fire, with a pile of coke outside. One night in the early 80’s I awoke to the sound of fire engines and looking out of my bedroom window I was saddened to see one of these buildings ablaze.

Some details of temporary structures uncovered from press cuttings

St Patrick's Church, Dudley Road
There was an iron structure in 1876 (removed 1894) before the permanent church was built.
Screenshot_20240508_194624_Chrome.jpg

(Iron Church), Sparkhill

Not sure which Sparkhill iron church this cutting is referring to.
Screenshot_20240508_193351_Chrome.jpg

Stud Lane, Mission, Stechford

This wooden building illustrates the need for places of worship where new 1930s housing estates were being built. The new church replacing the wooden church would be St Andrews in Audley Road.
Screenshot_20240508_200251_Chrome.jpg

I think the Sparkhill "iron church" cutting above refers to St John's on Stratford Road, Sparkhill. The current church was consecrated in 1889, and Louisa Ann Ryland was a sponsor. Here's a grainy view of the old "tin church" dated 1887-1888.

Sparkhill St Johns Church 1888.jpg

Thanks Geoff, that's made it possible for me to find a few more details about the iron church and its replacement. The organ from the iron church was transferred to the new church.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_114729_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_114729_Chrome.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 5
Waverley Road Church, Small Heath

This illustrates how iron churches could be moved from one place to another.This iron church was built on Waverley Road, Small Heath in 1891. It was sold in 1893 to Congregationalist Church to be moved to Netherton.
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240509_213024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240509_213024_Chrome.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 3
Back