• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Temples of Relief

Hi bob
Ihave got a photo of one i will try and load it tonight if thats okay by our moderators
Astonian, ;;;;;;

well i have to say pete being on this site is very mind boggling did you previuosly say a picture of a out side victorian loo or what hald odf them dont know where they live if you asked Astonian;;;

The urinal on Great Barr Street in Digbeth near Liverpool Street looked badly damaged yesterday on Boxing Day.

The Birmingham Mail / Birmingham Live might do an article on it as I tweeted the photo last night.

The urinal on Great Barr Street in Digbeth near Liverpool Street looked badly damaged yesterday on Boxing Day.

The Birmingham Mail / Birmingham Live might do an article on it as I tweeted the photo last night.
What a shame. but all is not lost.there is a factory in Tyseley that can cast new iron panels. if someone is going to restore it

anyone remember underground loos in hill st. and the old square? a bit like. dan dans

Was Hill Street in the pedestrian underpass? I do remember the Old Square ones, and those in Stephenson Place (at its junction with New Street). I was preseent at the 'dismantling' of the latter, a few workmen rescued anything of value (just the copper piping really) then the concrete roof with square glass tiles was smashed through, and the inside filled with hardcore then tarmaced over. Unlesss it was disturbed by the building of "the ramp" then the ceramic bowls and urinals will still be down there.

Oh yes, I do remember those - I was thinking about the underpass at Smallbrook Ringway (later Queensway) and Hill Street junction.

thanks, folks. now all I want is the one in the old square. just up from where the sally army band played

I have a few images of toilets. I do like those old cast-iron toilets, a few of which have survived. Well, I like them as street furniture but I don't like the whiff of them if they are still in 'active service.' I tell you what I really miss, although only for nostalgic reasons, it's the outdoor toilets at public-houses. They have almost all gone now so I am excited when I do find one. Anway, this cast-iron urinal is still in situ under the railway arches on Allison Street. They look a bit shinier in this photograph dating from 1940. And you thought we'd covered all topics!!

Allison Street Urinal [1940].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots about those things in this thread:

Did you think I would leave you with just the exterior? Don't look ladies but here is the interior of the Allison Street urinals. Too late, you looked!!
I believe these photographs were taken by the police as they were investigating homosexual activities in Birmingham - it would be many years before things came out in the open.
Is it too naughty to explain to women something about urinal etiquette? Basically, if somebody was using the stall by the entrance at the far end, the next person would NOT use the one next to it but walk to the near end and do their thing there. If a third person came in they would use the middle one and NOT the one next to either of the other people having a tinkle!

Allison Street Urinal Interior.jpg

I have a few images of toilets. I do like those old cast-iron toilets, a few of which have survived. Well, I like them as street furniture but I don't like the whiff of them if they are still in 'active service.' I tell you what I really miss, although only for nostalgic reasons, it's the outdoor toilets at public-houses. They have almost all gone now so I am excited when I do find one. Anway, this cast-iron urinal is still in situ under the railway arches on Allison Street. They look a bit shinier in this photograph dating from 1940. And you thought we'd covered all topics!!

View attachment 141871
that was the only problem with them.you had to make sure you covered all your topics

Pete,
Some of the old Greeks in rural areas just stand at the side of the road and when you gotta go, you gotta go! :)
Maurice
When riding hard one is supposed to get through a 750ml bidon of water every hour to maintain hydration. However, despite sweating profusely the odd hedgerow has to be visited in order to maintain equilibrium!

in 2013 i ventured round the back of what was the trees pub hockley hill and took this photo of the mens urinals...terrible state as you can see...not long after they were demolished..pub building still there but not as a pub

lyn

urinals back of the trees pub hockley hill.JPG

yes pete it was...the pub had been closed for many years and the urinals just used as a rubbish tip

Back