• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Temples of Relief

G

glaciermint

I'm not sure where to put this thread but monuments seems as good as anything!

The heading is nicked from the cast iron urinal in the jewellery quarter outside the station - see pics. These 'temples' used to be commonplace around Brum and I have several photos taken in the late 80s/early 90s.
It occurred to me that they have gradually disappeared over recent years (in line with public toilets generally). While the subject matter may not be very appealing I think the old Victorian 'street furniture' can be very attractive. I'm including things like street lighting, letter boxes, road names, bandstands etc.

I am aware of the urinals in the jewellery quarter and the one in Harborne by St John's. Can anyone tell me if there are any others around the City as I would like to photograph them before they disappear. Also does anyone have any old photos or scans showing these urinals which they could post?

Bob

Attachments

• public_convenience_vyse_street_470x320[1].jpg
    public_convenience_vyse_street_470x320[1].jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
I love that one in the Jewellery Quarter a lovely piece of history. Here's a different one situated on the edge of Key Hill Cemetery it is sealed up from the road but can be seen from inside the cemetery.

Wendy, changing topic for the moment I've noticed your comments before re. cemetries, especially Key Hill. Is there a publication or website which gives information about the old Brum cemetries and their 'inhabitants'?

Bob

There is another one on the corner of Heath mill lane.

Attachments

• Bordesley Great Barr St urinal.jpg
    Bordesley Great Barr St urinal.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
There used to be so many of these about, but along with newer public conveiences they are becoming a dying breed.
Here's one restored ("After I rescued it from Reading it lived in my garage undergoing restoration, before we were able to re-erect it at the Tramway Village," said Derek Redmond - makes a change from the man with an old car I suppose!) to full working order (yes, you can use it - if you are a gentleman!) at the Tramway Village and Museum at Crich, Derbyshire.
https://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART25177.html

The first one I have no knowledge of, so I can't say if it is still there today. Its stands next to The Bridge Inn Ladywood.

The second one, I can say has been of convenience and relief to me on more than one occasion it stands in Court Rd Balsall Heath and it used to be adjacent to the Cannon Hill pub in Edward Rd, alas I am unable to say if the pub still stands today.

Phil

LadywoodBridgeInnAdjVictorianCastIronUrinal.jpg
BalsallHeathCourtRdCastIronVictorianUrinal.jpg

Wendy, changing topic for the moment I've noticed your comments before re. cemetries, especially Key Hill. Is there a publication or website which gives information about the old Brum cemetries and their 'inhabitants'?

Bob
Glaciermint there are some web sites but not a lot of information. If you read the cemeteries thread there are some links to their web sites.

This is a great thread glaciermint. I thought the only urinal left was the one on Vyse Street. Keep posting folks if you can get a photo even better!

Here's one of the Vyse St urinal before it got to be a celebrity and had its face lift.

Phil

VictorianUrinalVyseStreet.jpg

Thanks everyone for these responses, I hope we can find a few more locations and pics. In the meantime I've sorted out a few of my own.
Marie, I assume this is the one you mean -Great Barr St.
Phil. Another pic of the Court Road one.

Bob

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Cast Iron Toilet Court Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Cast Iron Toilet Court Rd.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6
There was one in Golden Hillock Road. My Dad always stopped there when we were walking home on a Saturday night having missed the last Bus from my Aunts in Small Heath.
Dad had spent a late night at the Anderton Club with my Uncle.

I doubt if it is Phil. I'm sure I would have noticed it as I've driven up there from time to time. The railway arch location was obviously popular. Here are a couple more I photographed which have now gone to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Bob

Attachments

• Small Heath Coventry Rd[1].jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd[1].jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 10
I am so pleased you have these photo's glaciermint at least that is preserved.

Glaciermint I did put great barr street, but my husband said I was wrong so I changed it, I can't wait to tell him he was wrong.

That's interesting Alf my grandmother lived on Golden Hillock Road when she was young. I wonder if anyone has a photo of that one.

Alf, that one has certainly gone. I use the road regularly. Wonder where it was?
Marie, sounds like you score points off each other just like me and the wife!

By way of a change, how about a quiz. Where was this one? I'd say its only gone within the last 10 years

glaciermint

I would take a guess at somewhere like Holliday St or Granville St off Broad St.

No prices for guessing the location of this one, I suppose it is also long gone.

Phil

LadywoodStVincentStreet.jpg

Bob there was one somewhere off Fazely Street or around there, Mom use to meet Grandad on Friday and they had a drink in a Pub just before the Railway Bridge going towards Albert Street. I may be wrong I was about 8 or 9 then.

Also the Golden Hillock one was near the Railway Bridge

Last edited:
Many years ago, there used to be little old irish chap calle Jerry who used to drink in the Belgrave pub on Moseley Rd.

His full time job was going round all these urinals cleaning them. He did this with all his tools for the job strapped to a pushbike. He must have covered miles in a week.

I should imagine he has long gone now, I bet he would have known the answer. After years of driving me barmy in the pub, why are these people never around when you need them.

Phil

This is the last survivor in Paris complete with someone in it.

Phil, someone had to clean them but my recollection is that they weren't the sweetest smelling places. Re your guess, no, but a clue is that it would be familiar to many thousands of Blues fans over the years. I hope we're not top heavy with Villa fans on this board!

Alf, thank you for expanding our horizons to the p*ssoires of Paris. Didn't there use to be a television programme , perhaps in the 60s which revolved around one of these (Clochmerele?) or is my memory misbehaving again. Does seem a strange subject now I come to think of it!

You are spot on re the one on the junction of Fazeley St and New Canal St under the Railway bridge. I think I've got a pic of it so I'll dig it out when I get home tonight. Wasn't someone trying to remember the name of that pub on another thread recently. Can't remember what the outcome was now. Ah well, back to work!

Bob

Hi Glaciermint....This thread is very interesting indeed and it's good to see some of the photos. As kids we were always diverted away from the topic of what was going on behind those green walls.

I was living in England during the early part of 1972 and staying with my parents. They both loved watching "Clochemerle" so did I. In fact when I saw the subject of this thread I remembered this TV show. The ....oires
in France were different and yes they smelled pretty rank.

Well done Alf for finding the Clochmerle link. I couldn't remember any details but looking at the review I'm sure I must have been drawn to it by the 'bevy of nubile young actresses'!
Jennyann, thanks for your comments. On a serious note have you ever thought about these things from a female perspective. Where did the women go when they were walking around town and got caught short. Us men were well catered for and although there were plenty of pubs about years ago I'll bet many women weren't keen to go in them unless they were perhaps with their husband. Perhaps they just used to 'hang on'.

Bob

There are a few modern conveniences about, but to protect them from vandalism and 'unsavoury activities' the are a little, er, 'exposed'.

Jennyann, thanks for your comments. On a serious note have you ever thought about these things from a female perspective. Where did the women go when they were walking around town and got caught short. Us men were well catered for and although there were plenty of pubs about years ago I'll bet many women weren't keen to go in them unless they were perhaps with their husband. Perhaps they just used to 'hang on'.

Bob

Glaciermint

Obviously you never went on evening char-a-banc trips from your local pub. After spending 3 or 4 hours at some distant country hostelry, supping the local brew everybody piled on to the coach for the homeward trip.

The coach would usually stop in some dark secluded country lane for a comfort stop. Where It was generally men to the right of the lane and women to the left. I don’t think any less women than men used to avail themselves of this comfort break.

Phil

Yes Phil and I'm sure its much the same now. It wouldn't have been quite so easy if you were walking down Fazeley Street on a Tuesday afternoon though would it.

Spot on with the 'quiz' one. Just past the Kingston cinema on the way up the hill to St Andrews

Bob

Back