• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Templefield Road Stores

Have found him and intensified your picture below. It looks like an off licence rather than a pub, and that fits in with Kellys. It was 46 Cattell Road, and Samuel Nichols is listed there in Kellys in the 1908-1915 In 1905 it was Mrs Elizabeth Meadows, and in 1921 it was Mrs Lily Maria Nichols. These dates ar epublication dates and should be taken to probably refer to the year before. the electoral roll lists Lily Nichols at no 46 in 1922 , but gone by 1925

Attachments

• 46 cattell roadA.jpg
    46 cattell roadA.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 21
On 1911 census Samuel Nichols of 46 Cattell road is described as a clerk. On the summary book it is a shop (off licence). His wife is Emily (married 3 years). I think she might have died as there is a marriage in 1913 of a Samuel Nichols to a Lily M Pallett.

Janice

Last edited:
Have found him and intensified your picture below. It looks like an off licence rather than a pub, and that fits in with Kellys. It was 46 Cattell Road, and Samuel Nichols is listed there in Kellys in the 1908-1915 In 1905 it was Mrs Elizabeth Meadows, and in 1921 it was Mrs Lily Maria Nichols. These dates ar epublication dates and should be taken to probably refer to the year before. the electoral roll lists Lily Nichols at no 46 in 1922 , but gone by 1925
I intensified the picture and found the date September 1912 on the poster in the right hand window. Samuel J Nicols name is over the door as licensee. I thought there might have been a name above the lantern over the door which cannot been seen in the photograph (actually the image was printed as a postcard) in 1901c Samuel was still looking after his mother and younger siblings, his mother died in 1907. He married Emily Jane Wilcox and had a son Harry G Nicols. in 1911c her father was living with them. I do not know about Lily Maria Nicols, so am not sure how she fits in.
thanks for your help
Helen

Samuel was definitely married to Lily as she is named as the widow in the probate after his death in 1920. He divorced Emily in 1912/13.
Janice

Attachments

• Nichols.JPG
    Nichols.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 15
The divorce records are on Ancestry - there seem to be quite a lot.
Janice

Last edited:
Samuel was definitely married to Lily as she is named as the widow in the probate after his death in 1920. He divorced Emily in 1912/13.
Janice
Thank you for this I did not know he was married twice (nor divorced) he is with Emily in the 1911c, (together with her father) so must have divorced after that. The picture I have of him at my grandmothers wedding in 1914 must therefore be with Lily and not Emily. The picture taken in 1912 outside the off licence must be of Emily. I will get back to ancestry to see if I can find the divorce. I wonder what happened to Harry G, Emily and Samuel's son in 1911c.
Helen

I was born and lived in Templefield St from 1933-1959 my Mother had a shop at No 32,
I don't ever remember No 22 as a shop.nice to see a picture of Templefield St.
I lived at 35 and youre shop must have been nichols, the club was opposite the honours house and called templefield social.on the corners of the street off garrison lane was jackie jobe, coal merchant,and on the other side was an ale outdoor called calverts. at the other end of the st. was another outdoor. alco.

I was born and lived in Templefield St from 1933-1959 my Mother had a shop at No 32,
hi nick, I was born in templefield st. 1947-1961, No.35 bob allcock. was your shop owned by mrs nichols and dan.

I lived at 35 templefield 1947-1961 son of harry allcock, I am sure 32 must have been the shop owned by mr. and mrs nichols . I was born there in 1947 and left in 1961 ,the only other shop I knew on that side of the rd. going down in numbers was on the corner with cattle rd. which was an outdoor. just after the outdoor was a heat tretment buisness called thomas stokes.

Back