• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Televisions

carolina

master brummie
Does anyone rent TVs any more? I can remember that most of the time you rented, we used to rent ours from Granada in High Street Harborne. Sometimes you could buy ex-rental ones. It looks as though everyone buys now.

Thats a blast from the past i know my parents used to rent off Civic if it broke down you got a replacement set some of the hotels here in Blackpool rent tvs

Yes my dad bought a Murphy TV from Sweeney's for the coronation.

Bernard I think originally we all bought our TV sets (Philco, but it seemed to change late 60s onwards.

Our first TV was a Pye 9" screen (about the same size as an iPad) and it had a varnished wooden case which Dad use to thump to solve any problems. My first rental TV was a Decca Colour TV from a company called Spectrum in the 1970s. I can remember the first film I watched on it the night we had it - 'Arabesque' starring Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren. It made sense in those days to rent because colour TVs were unreliable.

I recall that our first TV was rented from Rumbelows in Cheltenham & we got HTV as well as BBC & ITV because we were on 'The Link' an aerial that went from house to house.

Any time the TV went funny, my dad always said its the way its coming through. Did we rent video recorders, I cant remember

The Co-Op rented TV sets, I had one in the mid 90's. There was also a company called Multi Broadcast who did the same. I recall some TV sets had a pre payment meter on them.

Our old man,
Got his on rental from Boyds on Aston cross next to the Barclay's bank and the library and there was a big gentleman's fashion of suits the other side and he always complained the picture was always messing up and distorted and the main night on Saturday night was boxing night
It was a heavy we right one sugar ray and rocky Marci the picture went AWOL and he jumped up in temper and shouted to mother get me the screw driver
It was either the nine inch or the twelve inch but he took it off the back and all of a sudden mother screamed its a mouse jumping out
Of the back of it that was force I g the problem as kids we done what mother did jump up onto the table and chairs screaming he got it and belted it dead
And he left the back off until the fight was over and sent us all the screaming kids to bed then Monday he took it back and went to sweneys astonian

My parents rented one from a shop on the Coventry road. Have the old payment card somewhere. Can't recall the name of the shop though. Will go to bed now going through the alphabet till I remember the name.

just asked my hubby if he remembers our first telly we rented just after we got married he gave me funny look
we had it of the dudley rd the story is i wanted to watch wagen train he didnt so me being me hit it with a hammer he was using
and did that telly blow up
hubbys words were i need locking up and never let out
josie

Does anybody recall the TV you rented for a 6d awek viewing by putting a tanner in the slot at the back of the held
I think they was called rent a view they was all over the place mainly for the Poorer family's I believe they started it from dudley road
Best wishes astonian

Does anybody recall the TV you rented for a 6d awek viewing by putting a tanner in the slot at the back of the held
I think they was called rent a view they was all over the place mainly for the Poorer family's I believe they started it from dudley road
Best wishes astonian

I certainly do Alan, the thing would always cut out, just at an interesting part of a film or programme.

:peach:Alan sounds like the same place Josie had their's from?.
th
:peach:

When first married we rented from DER then Granada. Bought our first colour set from MEB, blooming thing spent more time in the MEB repair shop than it did with us. We did however always get a loan set which was usually a 12" black and white portable :(

A photo of my son watching our rented TV in the 1970s. Apologies for the 1970s decor I thought it was good at the time! When I look at the old sit-coms on TV I often see those curtains and notice the 'spider plant' parked on the TV ...
s.JPG

I used to work as a decorator for the local council in the early 70's; we used to do 'one room decorations' for the old age pensioners. On a couple of occasions, I have moved an old TV set in the living room, that's not been moved for years, to find the legs would fall off, or the pressed cardboard back would collapse because it so dried out, or worse still the TV set just would not work again after I'd moved it. The response was always " it was ok before you came"!

Best wishes astonian
I know we had something like that. There was a machine fixed to the back of the set that took coins but I think they were bigger than sixpences. The trouble was that the machine broke down after a while so the guy who came to collect the money just took off part of the meter and collected the money from mum. I seem to remember it came from somewhere on New St and after we'd paid for so long they just gave it to us.

Another rental firm from the past was Alex Owen, they had ashop on Stratford Rd Sparkhill. Ithink they were taken over by Rentavision who were then taken over
by Visionhire

Our first TV rarely worked properly. Always had the snowy effect, but sometimes you could just about watch it, except it was winter every day. My dad being an electrician used to fiddle about with the insides. He'd show me all the paraphernalia when he removed the back of the TV, hoping I would be filled with enthusiasm, pointing out all the different valves(?) and tubes etc. But afraid it was all wasted on me, as all I wanted to do was watch a programme without having to circumnavigate the living room, holding the aerial up above and fiddling with 'arms' to improve reception. When we had an aerial up in the loft, my dad would be up there shouting totally incomprehensible comments through the loft hatch, while someone in the hall relayed it to someone in the living room, who then checked the picture quality. Then the response from the living room was slowly relayed back up the chain to my dad in the loft. Occasionally it did the trick.

Later we went in for a hired TV from Radio Rentals. Well that was such a luxury. We could actually watch programmes, instead of being sidetracked by all the shenanigans previously mentioned. Then I'd watch anything and everything. Today, however, I watch only selected TV, more often than not on the iPad or PC. I do now wonder why we bother having TVs as I can watch all I need by several other means. Who'd have thought that possible? Well, my dad would most certainly have believed it because I remember him saying to me in the early 1970s that computers would revolutionise the world of media and communications. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like many, our 8in telly was obtained, "on the knock", for the coronation.
My mother was saying, when I saw her on Sunday, how we all used to sit, mesmerised, in front of the Box.
We used to watch EVERYTHING, including "Interlude" and "Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible".
Mind you, there was only one channel in those days.

Radio Rentals ad from 1969. See how the picture extends right to the edges! I remember we always called it a TV 'set'. Set of what?! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393359377.571901.jpg

Like many, our 8in telly was obtained, "on the knock", for the coronation.
My mother was saying, when I saw her on Sunday, how we all used to sit, mesmerised, in front of the Box.
We used to watch EVERYTHING, including "Interlude" and "Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible".
Mind you, there was only one channel in those days.
Don't forget the Potters wheel or Ivor Emanual sings.

:peach:Have remembered the name of the TV Rental shop. It was Pearce Electric on the Coventry road somewhere. I do remember they gave us the last TV we had rented for many years.:peach:

Back