• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Telephone scams 2020

DavidGrain

master brummie
Washing machine warranty seems an odd scam to me. Does anyone have a wifi enabled washing machine that a scammer can connect into? Or is it the 'Your bank could not action the last payment' scam.

rosie

brummie
I didn't know my dryer had wifi when I bought it but I don't have a smart phone to work it with, pressing the buttons by hand works fine!!
I've just had a scam call to say they are cutting off my broadband. Yesterday they threatened to cut off the landline.
rosie.

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I read something somewhere the other day about vulnerable people being cold called and sold service plans for their washing machines fridges etc.
Some poor old guy, after he died, his daughter found that he had £1,000 a month going out in direct debits to 'insure' his freezer.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
To use a colloquial expression "everyone is at it". ;) The selling of e-mail addresses and other information is big business. The recent laws seem to have made little difference to it all, despite being assured that it does.
:grinning:

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pete
All the compare sites are after making a profit for themselves. Many do not include the best "deals" and only include cheap deals of those who pay them to do so, and I am sure all lake money by passing on addresses of potential "marks"

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Pete
All the compare sites are after making a profit for themselves. Many do not include the best "deals" and only include cheap deals of those who pay them to do so, and I am sure all take money by passing on addresses of potential "marks"
yes mike. i find it better and cheaper to go direct to the co.and by pass the jokers. Its strange NO one else knew that micky mouse email address i used :(now i bet the mobile number that i used will be ringing:grinning:

brenda barr

master brummie
We bought a new computer about 2monhs ago and then the scams started l always prided myself in being one step ahead of them but some how they got into my computer and within minutes l received an e-mail from Amason asking if l had ordered a 25$ item then l smelled a rat...these scammers had gotten into my bank account and credit card account as luck would have it my credit card caught it and within a very short time had charged over a $1000.00s so glad to say they block it and cancelled my card..on top of that they did got into my bank account thank goodness l don"t do on line banking but did manage to get a few hundred dollars ...l was at the bank monday morning and l was refunded the money after filling out a few papers also we had a flag put on my account.....as you say these people all have asian accents but somehow they are using local numbers. l was lucky but so many people are'nt l think buying a new computer was the cause of all this....who knows maybe some sales person passed our info to some one.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
They seem quite common here. I am not sure if they use it to get your details and then use those details to hack accounts, or whether they are after money for a "warranty" which is expensive and of little value and almost always will not pay out.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
We bought a new computer about 2monhs ago and then the scams started l always prided myself in being one step ahead of them but some how they got into my computer and within minutes l received an e-mail from Amason asking if l had ordered a 25$ item then l smelled a rat...these scammers had gotten into my bank account and credit card account as luck would have it my credit card caught it and within a very short time had charged over a $1000.00s so glad to say they block it and cancelled my card..on top of that they did got into my bank account thank goodness l don"t do on line banking but did manage to get a few hundred dollars ...l was at the bank monday morning and l was refunded the money after filling out a few papers also we had a flag put on my account.....as you say these people all have asian accents but somehow they are using local numbers. l was lucky but so many people are'nt l think buying a new computer was the cause of all this....who knows maybe some sales person passed our info to some one.
Not all have asian accents,
i had a paypal phone me.they asked me if i had ordered aload of jumpers.3 times, and said someone has on my account i said. no,they refunded my dosh and cancelled the card..

wam

master brummie
Not all have asian accents,
i had a paypal phone me.they asked me if i had ordered aload of jumpers.3 times, and said someone has on my account i said. no,they refunded my dosh and cancelled the card..
Cancelled what card? How do you know they refunded anything? Most important, did you have to give them any details?

Smudger

master brummie
Another seemingly new scam. Recorded message allegedly from Talktalk, I will lose my internet service in 24 hours because i have prohibited items on my computer. Shiver me timbers what will they think of next !

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Cancelled what card? How do you know they refunded anything? Most important, did you have to give them any details?
I logged on to paypal and saw the name of the company that had deducted the money for the items. i opened a fraud case, and the money was put back into my account. and paypal blocked the debit card.. so check your account. regularly folks if you use paypal.

nickcc101

master brummie
A new one maybe? A call this morning, the lady called me by name then said "It's about your washing machine warranty." then rang off before I could respond. :( My washing machine must be thirty years old.
I’ve mistakenly presumed most 0208 numbers to be scammers and never bothered to answer them, luckily I didn’t look this morning as it was Tesco giving me the time of my home delivery for my priority slot.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
i just had a call from a 0203 number, the caller must have copd or astma,there sure was a lot fof breathing noise, but no audio.lol