• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Telephone scams 2020

Nico

master brummie
Email this morning from WMP neighbourhood alert

SCAM ALERT:
Scammers are looking to profit from the NHS test and trace app. Please be mindful of the following:
Contact tracers will never: •Ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to us (for exam-ple, those starting 09 or 087)
•Ask you to make any form of payment.
•Ask for any details about your bank account.
•Ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts.
•Ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone.
•Ask you to purchase a product.
•Ask you to download any software to your device or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet.
•Ask you to access any website that does not belong to the Government or NHS.
I wonder what they do ask?

mbenne

master brummie
Email from WMP neighbourhood alert today. Not a telephone scam but..................

We Are Reminding Residents To Be Vigilant Following A Series of Courier Frauds In Solihull

We have been made aware of numerous reports of courier fraud in the last 2 weeks particularly against the elderly or vulnerable. On one occasion a woman in her 80s was conned out of thousands of pounds.
We are working closely with local banks and thankfully in most cases we have been notified before money has been handed over to criminals. Other victims have hung up on callers and contacted the Police straight away.

Courier fraud works by scammers calling and pretending to be police officers reporting suspicious activity on a bank account; they may claim to have arrested someone with a cloned bank card, that money has been taken, or cash in their account is counterfeit.
Some people fall for the scam because they believe the bogus PC’s story has been verified by a follow-up call to their bank but because the scammers don’t hang up the victim is unwittingly still speaking to them and not a bank official.

It is reported the bogus callers claimed to be from Paddington Police, claiming they were investigating banks handing over counterfeit money. Police officers or genuine bank officials would never ask you to divulge PIN numbers over the phone or send couriers round to collect cards or cash.
If you receive a call requesting this, hang up and contact police - but check for an open line or ideally call from a different phone.
To report an incident, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Dave M

Pheasey Born Bumper
Had a email today the Licence number is different to my old licence paperwork , do we keep the same number year to year ?

Oops! Something went wrong with your payment.

We're sorry to let you know that the TVLicence could not be automatically renewed.

Renew your licence before it expires on 27 July 2020 to remain legally licensed.

If you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency.

How to pay?

Making a payment is easy - just follow the steps below:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Had a email today the Licence number is different to my old licence paperwork , do we keep the same number year to year ?

We're sorry to let you know that the TVLicence could not be automatically renewed.

Renew your licence before it expires on 27 July 2020 to remain legally licensed.

If you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your licence or pass your details to a debt collection agency.

How to pay?

the number never changes. they do not pass your details to dept collectors. they give you a few ways to pay. if you do not renew, they investigate why. before they summons you..

DavidGrain

master brummie
Expect a number of scams as soon as the scammers find out that the over 75s have to pay for their TV licence from today unless they are in receipt of certain benefits.
There could be a problem as the advice on the TV if you are affected by this change is to do nothing until you are contacted by TV Licencing.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I am certainly not doing anything until I gat an email/letter
mike snail mail. then you know its ok ...emails are now getting to iffy.i dont trust them now. i had some come to my inbox.for someone else they were confidential too.

JudiM

master brummie

How to pay?

I had that scam e-mail too. Reported it.

JudiM

master brummie
Had a phone call yesterday - a recorded message type call purporting to be for Amazon saying they had noticed suspicious activity on my account. Didn't listen to the whole thing as it was obviously the phone call equivalent of a phishing e-mail.

Amazon would e-mail & not call - certainly wouldn't just send an automated message. They would freeze your account & tell you to contact them (their contact information is on their website).

Of course I double checked with them & they confirmed verbally, and followed it up by e-mail, that the activity referred to in the call had not taken place.

DavidGrain

master brummie
Normally the phone scam mentioning Amazon usually say that My Amazon Prime account need to be renewed or something similar. As I do not have an Amazon Prime account I know it is a scam

DavidGrain

master brummie
This is an interesting web page giving a lot of information about scams.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Amazon would e-mail & not call - certainly wouldn't just send an automated message. They would freeze your account & tell you to contact them (their contact information is on their website).
[/QUOTE]
when i log on to amazon i get this....
Sign-in from new device detected
We detected a sign-in to your account from a new device.​

When:Jul 31, 2020 06:44 PM British Summer Time
Device:Windows (Desktop)
Near:United Kingdom

If this was you, you can disregard this message. Otherwise, please let us know.​

wam

master brummie
If this was you, you can disregard this message. Otherwise, please let us know.​
[/QUOTE]
That is an automated message that you get from a lot of sites that you have given personal details to. Usually it means you've bought a new tablet/mobile/computer and logged in to your account. If this hasn't happened you should get in touch with the company listed on the message. In case it's fake, go to the website, log in and see if there's a contact method (email form, chat) available. If there is a link on the email, don't use it.

JudiM

master brummie
That is an automated message that you get from a lot of sites that you have given personal details to. Usually it means you've bought a new tablet/mobile/computer and logged in to your account. If this hasn't happened you should get in touch with the company listed on the message. In case it's fake, go to the website, log in and see if there's a contact method (email form, chat) available. If there is a link on the email, don't use it.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have had this a couple of times when logging in from a different computer or device. As you say, standard message.

Malc Toy

The Baggie Man
I created a shortened 15 second MP4 version of ‘The Laughing Policeman’ and placed on my mobile phone. If I get a non-automated scam or unwanted call from an actual person, I play this to them - hilarious!
If members would like a copy, message me with you email address.