• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Telephone scams 2020

guilbert53

master brummie
One of my friends has been scammed via a phone call.

She is a bright lady in her 50s, who works for a large car manufacturer, and is well up on "scams" (she is always warning her family not to fall for scams) but she still fell for one.

She got a call claiming to be from her bank (she challenged them but they had all the info about her account even the "security" number on the back of her card).

They said someone had set up a transfer on her bank account so they needed to "freeze" her account.

They said they would send a code to her phone and she should tell them the code to authorize them to "freeze" her account.

Of course this was a "code" to do a money transfer and when she went to a hole in the wall to check her bank account she found it was empty.

She went in to the bank and spent about 2 hours there being interviewed by bank security people (to verify she was not "in" on the scam).

In the end she got all her money back but it has of course upset her greatly.

Some general advice

DON'T believe a person who phones and says they are from your bank, the police, other other company (Amazon, Microsoft, Google etc). Best just to put the phone down on them.

If you want to check then phone your bank FROM ANOTHER PHONE (scammers can often hold on to a phone line and "pretend" to be your bank when you phone on the same line). Maybe use a phone of a friend or neighbour.

If you can maybe go and visit your local bank (if it has not closed down!) to check your account status.

NEVER give a caller any sort of "code" that has been sent to you by the bank (to your mobile phone for example). This is often a code to transfer money OUT of your account

NEVER transfer money from one account to another if asked to do so by your "bank" or "police" (or someone pretending to be them). Scammers often ask people to do this to put the money in to a "safe" account to protect it but it actually goes in to the scammers account.

NEVER give out your bank card "pin" and NEVER give your bank card to anyone who knocks at the door (scammers often ask for the card to help solve a crime). Once they have your card and the pin they can empty your account.

ALWAYS cover up the pin number when you type it in to a machine in a shop or supermarket or in a bank. Criminals often watch people type in their pin then steal their bank card.

NEVER take money out your bank account to give to someone to help the bank or police in solving a crime (scammers pretending to be the bank or police often say they need the money to "catch" the criminals).

NEVER buy anything from someone who just phones you up out the blue, or offers you a good deal on your pension money, or stocks and shares, or any other "good" offer. It is probably a scam. Just put the phone down.

NEVER buy anything from someone who just knocks at the door, and never let ANYONE in your house unless you have verified with the company they work for (even if they show you a "pass")

NEVER give out ANY personal information to someone who just phones you up. Don't give your name, your address, your date of birth, any bank or financial details, don't tell them if you own a car or when your house insurance is due, or if you own a cat or a dog or ANYTHING ELSE. The more people know about you the more they can scam you.

Sadly the world is now full of scammers so I would treat EVERY phone call you get (or anyone who knocks at the door) as suspect, unless of course it is a friend or relative who you know.

I get 4 or 5 calls a week from scammers, pretending to be Amazon, or the TV license people, or my Broadband company and so on. I got a text on my phone yesterday from someone pretending to be the tax people (HMRC) saying I was due a tax refund.

Personally I find it VERY sad where we have reached the stage where we cant trust anyone but that is the world we now live in.

Last edited:

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
One of my friends has been scammed via a phone call.

She is a bright lady in her 50s, who works for a large car manufacturer, and is well up on "scams" (she is always warning her family not to fall for scams) but she still fell for one.

She got a call claiming to be from her bank (she challenged them but they had all the info about her account even the "security" number on the back of her card).

They said someone had set up a transfer on her bank account so they needed to "freeze" her account.

They said they would send a code to her phone and she should tell them the code to authorize them to "freeze" her account.

Of course this was a "code" to do a money transfer and when she went to a hole in the wall to check her bank account she found it was empty.

She went in to the bank and spent about 2 hours there being interviewed by bank security people (to verify she was not "in" on the scam).

In the end she got all her money back but it has of course upset her greatly.

Some general advice

DON'T believe a person who phones and says they are from your bank, the police, other other company (Amazon, Microsoft, Google etc). Best just to put the phone down on them.

If you want to check then phone your bank FROM ANOTHER PHONE (scammers can often hold on to a phone line and "pretend" to be your bank when you phone on the same line). Maybe use a phone of a friend or neighbour.

If you can maybe go and visit your local bank (if it has not closed down!) to check your account status.

NEVER give a caller any sort of "code" that has been sent to you by the bank (to your mobile phone for example). This is often a code to transfer money OUT of your account

NEVER transfer money from one account to another if asked to do so by your "bank" or "police" (or someone pretending to be them). Scammers often ask people to do this to put the money in to a "safe" account to protect it but it actually goes in to the scammers account.

NEVER give out your bank "pin" card and NEVER give your bank card to anyone who knocks at the door (scammers often ask for the card to help solve a crime). Once they have your card and the pin they can empty your account.

ALWAYS cover up the pin number when you type it in to a machine in a shop or supermarket or in a bank. Criminals often watch people type in their pin then steal their bank card.

NEVER take money out your bank account to give to someone to help the bank or police in solving a crime (scammers pretending to be the bank or police often say they need the money to "catch" the criminals).

NEVER buy anything from someone who just phones you up out the blue, or offers you a good deal on your pension money, or stocks and shares, or any other "good" offer. It is probably a scam. Just put the phone down.

NEVER buy anything from someone who just knocks at the door, and never let ANYONE in your house unless you have verified with the company they work for (even if they show you a "pass")

NEVER give out ANY personal information to someone who just phones you up. Don't give your name, your address, your date of birth, any bank or financial details, don't tell them if you own a car or when your house insurance is due, or if you own a cat or a dog or ANYTHING ELSE. The more people know about you the more they can scam you.

Sadly the world is now full of scammers so I would treat EVERY phone call you get (or anyone who knocks at the door) as suspect, unless of course it is a friend or relative who you know.

I get 4 or 5 calls a week from scammers, pretending to be Amazon, or the TV license people, or my Broadband company and so on. I got a text on my phone yesterday from someone pretending to be the tax people (HMRC) saying I was due a tax refund.

Personally I find it VERY sad where we have reached the stage where we cant trust anyone but that is the world we now live in.
A very, very thorough list of NEVERs and thank you for that, the problem is that hey always sound so genuine, friendly and more worryingly seem to know a lot about you and the natural reaction of the recipient is to panic (which is what the scammers want). I agree wholeheartedly with your last line, it is a sorry state that we are now in that trust has had to be put on the backburner and suspicion has to be foremost in the mind when dealing with anybody.

Bob

oldMohawk

master brummie
Another alternative is to simply block scammers so they do not get through. I haven't heard a scam call for years.

I use BT8500, but I could use BT Call-Protect, or if I was a Talk-Talk customer I could use their Call-Safe.

I set the phone to have a special musical ring tone for calls I want to receive. If I hear that musical tone I will answer the phone. I even set musical tones for different family members so I know who is calling before I pick up the phone.

If I hear a 'normal' ring-tone, I don't answer and it goes to the answer phone. Scammers rarely leave messages.

If it is a computer operated call it goes to the answer phone and their computers never leave messages.

If it is from a number I have previously blocked I hear the ring-tone splutter out after about five rings.

I usually have a daily look at the calls list and block numbers I don't recognise.

One small problem with BT8500 is you cannot see a list of numbers which have been blocked, so if you 'accidently' block a valid number they receive the 'you're blocked' message. With Call-Protect and Call-Safe you can see the list on a computer.

mbenne

master brummie
My debit card was skimmed recently after using for a cash withdrwal. It was a new account and had only used it twice! I was alerted to the fact as I received 3 txt messages in the space of seconds saying that i had entered my pin incorrectly 3 times and my account was locked Fortunately it was one of the new online banks, Starling. There is ready access to their advisers by direct messaging and email. Like my Monzo card, also a online bank I can freze and unfreeze my cards at any time and also have options to disable mag stripe payments and prevent use for online txns. Had I been using my HSBC debit card it would have been a different matter as I would have been dealing with a overseas call centre and my card would have been blocked for much longer. Also I doubt I would have detected the fraudulent txn so soon. Some of these new banks are worth considering for daily spending

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Another alternative is to simply block scammers so they do not get through. I haven't heard a scam call for years.

I use BT8500, but I could use BT Call-Protect, or if I was a Talk-Talk customer I could use their Call-Safe.

I set the phone to have a special musical ring tone for calls I want to receive. If I hear that musical tone I will answer the phone. I even set musical tones for different family members so I know who is calling before I pick up the phone.

If I hear a 'normal' ring-tone, I don't answer and it goes to the answer phone. Scammers rarely leave messages.

If it is a computer operated call it goes to the answer phone and their computers never leave messages.

If it is from a number I have previously blocked I hear the ring-tone splutter out after about five rings.

I usually have a daily look at the calls list and block numbers I don't recognise.

One small problem with BT8500 is you cannot see a list of numbers which have been blocked, so if you 'accidently' block a valid number they receive the 'you're blocked' message. With Call-Protect and Call-Safe you can see the list on a computer.
OM, you seem to be highly technically efficient, I read the Computer themed posts and the language goes right over my head because I have no conception and usually cannot understand the language used, I have just paid £80plus to watch an 'expert' find drivers for my printer and install Windows 1909 and updates. So I bought a phone blocker phone and tried to set it up but all it did was block my wifes friend and my daughter, so now we live with the scam calls between one and four per day. The problem was that the blocker blocked all calls and eventually cost me a new phone. I always feel foolish that I seem so thick, but just accept that it is my age. My son who is an executive with Apple has a blocked call system with individual ring tones for all the family, but then he is clever..

Bob

oldMohawk

master brummie
Bob, dependent on who is your landline provider, perhaps it is worth checking whether they have call protect systems which look easy to use. A typical one below copied from a locked thread.

TalkTalk's Call Safe works in a similar fashion and is free (at the moment!) for TalkTalk users. The options are in a slightly different order:
Press 1 to accept the call and add the caller to your Approved List
Press 2 to accept the call on a one-time basis, so the caller is screened again the next time they call
Press 3 to reject the call and add the caller to your Blocked List
The Lists can also be modified via the web site.

Numbers can also be added to the approved list via the phone by dialling 1472 and following the instructions.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
I know the thread is telephone scams, but I would like all of you to share in the good luck that arrived in a letter yesterday. One of you technical types might have to adjust the attachment to make it legible. The bank he refers to does exist
Bob

Attachments

superdad3

master brummie
And another new one..........

Hello, this is the National Grid I need to talk... [at which point I put phone down].

Continue to take care!

mbenne

master brummie
Just had a call from 01548862000 - Fast talking woman saying £400 has been taken for Amazon and £700 taken for Weston union .......press number 1 on touch pad for more information!:cold_sweat:
Its a scam:D

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I had an almost silent call yesterday, no-one spoke but I could hear birds in the background!
I have had that. someone must have sat on his/her mobile and dialed my number. by accident, i could hear them yapping.in the background before the line dropped out

CHINCH

master brummie
Hi ,
I know this thread is about telephone scams but I wonder if anyone has had the e-mail scam, often TV License , ( quite convincing) or Amazon, but which uses your own e-mail address so it cannot be blocked? I don't know how they do it and how to prevent them using our e-mail address so I just delete them.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
We get constant Amazon related calls and Emails. We Just ignore them, Had one today said "do you have an Amazon account? " Amazing that they would even think anyone would answer that

wendylee

master brummie
We get constant Amazon related calls and Emails. We Just ignore them, Had one today said "do you have an Amazon account? " Amazing that they would even think anyone would answer that
I must say since the lockdown we have had almost no nuisance calls :D

mbenne

master brummie
Email this morning from WMP neighbourhood alert

SCAM ALERT:
Scammers are looking to profit from the NHS test and trace app. Please be mindful of the following:
Contact tracers will never: •Ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to us (for exam-ple, those starting 09 or 087)
•Ask you to make any form of payment.
•Ask for any details about your bank account.
•Ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts.
•Ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone.
•Ask you to purchase a product.
•Ask you to download any software to your device or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet.
•Ask you to access any website that does not belong to the Government or NHS.