• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Telephone scams 2020

Radiorails

master brummie
Same with unsolicited mail. I buy plastic enevelopes from Poundland and post every unsolicited letter I get back to the sender without a stamp, such fun!
They say that it no point getting older if you do not get wiser. :D
A friend of mine, some years ago, worked at nights and consequently was usually asleep during the day. On an occasion he related - I am sure he pulled the trick more than once - he was woken up by an unsolicited selling type of call. He said to the caller that he was very busy at the time and he would call back if the caller gave him a telephone number. The caller did. My friend, during his works tea break, phoned the number.
The call was received with hostility reminding my friend what the time was (about 3 am) and that the call had woken him. To which my friend replied well, I was asleep when you called me! :D
My friend also returned unwanted mail, similarly without postage.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
HMRC has started phoning me again saying i will be locked up,if i dont phone them back
i asked the postman to stop posting rubbish. from cheap stores etc. he has.

Last edited:

Eric Gibson

master brummie
HMRC has started phoning me again saying i will be locked up,if i dont phone them back
i asked the postman to stop posting rubbish. from cheap stores etc. he has.
That doesn't seem to be a very good idea to me, you are effectively giving the postman free reign to decide what's junk and what isn't, just suppose he gets it wrong and your important stuff goes astray.

Spargone

master brummie
That doesn't seem to be a very good idea to me, you are effectively giving the postman free reign to decide what's junk and what isn't, just suppose he gets it wrong and your important stuff goes astray.
As the Royal Mail is under contract to deliver the 'junk' this postman isn't doing his job properly. If the Royal Mail doesn't deliver 'junk' it will need fewer people to do the work and it will need to charge more for the mail that we want to send.

Penns

master brummie
As the Royal Mail is under contract to deliver the 'junk' this postman isn't doing his job properly. If the Royal Mail doesn't deliver 'junk' it will need fewer people to do the work and it will need to charge more for the mail that we want to send.
The postman by himself cannot opt you out of unaddressed mail (circulars), also you can not opt out of mail addressed to 'the occupier' with an address upon it as the RM has a duty to deliver it.

The post person also receives a small bonus on all circulars delivered on their allocated rounds.

If you want to opt out of RM circulars with no address upon them this is the link

You can also use the TPS (phone) and MPS (mail) to attempt to opt out of calls and addressed mail from companies that subscribe to the service

Troyara

Have you ever received phone scam calls from people pretending to be police? It's said to be a bigger problem since 2017 and I just wondered what if some guys from the actual police could use their status for such actions? I know that AAAPPP can probably help with it but that's all.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Ha ha - the old Microsoft scam in Greece - they never learn, do they. This morn - female with an Asian accent - "I'm calling you from Microsoft about your computer". She didn't get any further than that as I told her my computer was fine - bye bye! Unfortunately I was on my way out and didn't have time to play silly games with her. :)

Maurice :cool:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
The postman by himself cannot opt you out of unaddressed mail (circulars), also you can not opt out of mail addressed to 'the occupier' with an address upon it as the RM has a duty to deliver it.

The post person also receives a small bonus on all circulars delivered on their allocated rounds.

If you want to opt out of RM circulars with no address upon them this is the link

You can also use the TPS (phone) and MPS (mail) to attempt to opt out of calls and addressed mail from companies that subscribe to the service
i did sign up for that. it was ok for a while then the junk come back again:)

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Ha ha - the old Microsoft scam in Greece - they never learn, do they. This morn - female with an Asian accent - "I'm calling you from Microsoft about your computer". She didn't get any further than that as I told her my computer was fine - bye bye! Unfortunately I was on my way out and didn't have time to play silly games with her. :):mad:

Maurice :cool:
sounds a bit like the joker who phoned me.and said he was from Norton.

Smudger

master brummie
I had an email from a lass called Georgia... Hello David, would you like to see my photo? Thanks but no thanks.

Eric Gibson

master brummie
A couple more of the "BT will cut you off, press one." calls yesterday and this morning, not the American female though now a well spoken English gentleman's voice, pre recorded of course.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
In the USA there are hundreds of telephone scams. Marcia my wife, almost did fall for one about our grandson in jail, needed $s to get out etc. Every day, usually around dinner time the phone rings with some unknown# on caller ID We never answer any call now that we do not know who the# belongs to. Amazing that none of those calls we do not know who it is, never leave a message

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
In the USA there are hundreds of telephone scams. Marcia my wife, almost did fall for one about our grandson in jail, needed $s to get out etc. Every day, usually around dinner time the phone rings with some unknown# on caller ID We never answer any call now that we do not know who the# belongs to. Amazing that none of those calls we do not know who it is, never leave a message
the only one is the numpty,who says he is from HMRC

Last edited:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I had an email from a lass called Georgia... Hello David, would you like to see my photo? Thanks but no thanks.
could have been her boyo.
Emergency crews were called to A flat in Aberdare, south Wales, this morning and have closed off the surrounding area to remove 60-stone Georgia