• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

telegram delivery bikes

g-day mate sorry i have,nt replied till now,been in Nottingham for a few days.
i,d like very much to see your photo,s as a telegram boy,
i always fancied doing that for a living,off in a cloud of smoke on the old bantam,
getting know where fast better than the pushbike though.
regards dereklcg..

you are right, in the the real world Graham,
we were fitter that,s for sure nice one mate.
dereklcg.

Just a picture of my brother sorting out the Smokey Red Bantems
I was at Selly Oak 1968-69. My 125cc Bantam was numbered T14346 on the Tank. I worked with a terrific bunch of lads: Dave Fitzpatrick from Barley Green. Kenny Dyde from West Heath, Dave Southwick from Northfield, Roger ? from Halesowen. I was Johnny Miller the 'long haired mod'. The name of the PHG was Frank Moseley? who lived in Bartley Green. The head of messengers in Hill Street was Mr Cox?

I was a wag - mentioned earlier - and Graham asked me to write a little Brum story - well I wrote this for the wag site and now I'll re-print it here:

Gertie Hill! Two words that would strike terror into the heart of any wag working the late shift at Selly Oak; the shift was 12.12 till 8.25 - now aren’t those the strangest of strange hours? I mean what was the matter with 12-00 till 8.15 or even 8.13 if they had to be so precise but that was in 1961, before The Beatles, when one of the Inspectors of Messengers – a certain Mister Drinkwater – would call the wags to attention at the commencement of duty; needless to say he didn’t last very long.

But I digress: Gertie Hill was a gentle old lady who was one of the telegraphists who would whip us out when the Postman Higher Grade (our supervisor) went home at around six; the others were George, who seemed to have loads of kids, Tinkerbell Jackson and Katie McCullough - the Bridget Bardot of Belfast; oh Katie McCullough had all the wags dreaming about her and she even dated the dark horse Johnny Rees but there again he did have a slight resemblance to Elvis.

Gertie had a saying ‘I tell you why’ which even now, every time I hear it, I want to say ‘because I have a TMO.’ She would come up to us late at night, when we thought we were going home and say ‘I want you to go to Northfield; I tell you why;’ and we all knew why and it was because she had a TMO – a telegraph money order.
Even now my wife will ask me to do something and say ‘I’ll tell you why’ and I will ask ‘because you’ve got a TMO?’ Of course she’s learned not to say it any more and on the odd times that I forget myself and say it she says it – she knows what a TMO is because she used to be a telegraphist at head office.

So off we would go to Northfield or Edgbaston or some other place miles away from the office with the TMO and come back to find the big gate locked; in the day time we would go up the drive, off Bristol Road, and ride straight into the yard but when Gertie was on duty she would lock the big gate. She did this for security purposes and from this lofty age it’s quite understandable but back then, when we would wait outside the door, ringing the bell, dying for a pee and waiting for Gertie to hear us, we didn’t understand.

She would eventually get off the phone or come away from the telegraph machine and let us in. Then we had to go and open the big gate, ride our bikes in and close the big date again.

But we were naughty boys let’s face it; those bantams had metal foot rests which sparks would fly from if we scraped them on the ground as we went around corners and this we did constantly especially if girls were looking at us.

I used to do a little trick at night in the yard when I would lean the foot rest on the floor and open the throttle; this would cause the bike to spin around in circles and the sparks to fly and together with the headlight spinning around like an air raid searchlight in the darkness and the high revs would bring Gertie running into the yard wondering what was going on; of course I deserved to come a cropper and I didn’t but I have to confess I thought it was great fun.

I don’t know where Gertie is now, don’t know whether she’s alive or dead, but she certainly was a character and when I think about it she was probably about the same age then as I am now but even if that is true I have to say if there is one thing I would like to do it would be to get on to one of those bantams, lean it onto the foot rest and spin it around in the darkness like I used to do – I’ll tell you why ………….
Memories, yes, scraping the footrests around corners. I used to try that at the bottom of Alwold Road into Weoley Avenue.

Last edited:
Vic
I have put this photo on some where else here but is the a chance that you know any of the people in the photo my Dad Don Commander is the mechanic next to the porch
thanks Jan

Back