• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

telegram delivery bikes

dereklcg

master brummie
hi ya,
anyone out there know what ever happened to the telegram
delivery boy,s?
i know there,s people who worked for the post office,on here.
it,s one of them things that was there and you did,nt
miss them till they were gone,them Smokey red bantams
they rode before them there was the bike peddle power,
what year did they stop what year did they start??
a bit like the midlands motorcycle industry i suppose
almost went overnight or thats what it seemed like,
happy days regards dereklcg.

After loads of fun in the snug, now for something completely different (who said that?).

A bit of Birmingham (recent) history and only just this minute posted to me from my 1950's old school mate at Dennis Road S.M. Boys School, now a successful producer, actor, singer/songwriter living in California, Chris Sullivan. He was a Brummie 'Wag' in the 60's and has written a song about it, I don't think it will ever make the top ten but it's made YouTube! :D

At school Chris was like a little puppy that followed me everywhere.

Graham.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYcHnzWW6k"]YouTube - Chris Sullivan: The Wag Song.[/ame]

hi ya,
anyone out there know what ever happened to the telegram
delivery boy,s?
i know there,s people who worked for the post office,on here.
it,s one of them things that was there and you did,nt
miss them till they were gone,them Smokey red bantams
they rode before them there was the bike peddle power,
what year did they stop what year did they start??
a bit like the midlands motorcycle industry i suppose
almost went overnight or thats what it seemed like,
happy days regards dereklcg.

Just a picture of my brother sorting out the Smokey Red Bantems

It wasn't me that followed you around like a puppy, Graham; I didn't follow anybody around. I think you're getting mixed up with the long faced buggar who used to sit at the back of the class; him with the long ears and big tongue that licked at your legs when you were trying to work.
But thanks for putting the information up about the Wag Song; a clip from it was on Central TV's News last week on Thursday evening and it was played on the Les Ross last Friday so you never know it might get a few sales – do you know anybody who saw it or listened to the bit on the radio? Anybody out there????

It wasn't me that followed you around like a puppy, Graham; I didn't follow anybody around. I think you're getting mixed up with the long faced buggar who used to sit at the back of the class; him with the long ears and big tongue that licked at your legs when you were trying to work.
But thanks for putting the information up about the Wag Song; a clip from it was on Central TV's News last week on Thursday evening and it was played on the Les Ross last Friday so you never know it might get a few sales – do you know anybody who saw it or listened to the bit on the radio? Anybody out there????

Chris thanks for taking the time to reply I know how busy you are.

Sorry if I've got you mixed up with someone else. In our class there were quite a few of those ugly characters that you describe so well. :DMy memory is full of holes since my two ops and it is half a centaury ago since we last met! There was a lad in our class, also from Irish immigrants, that followed me everywhere yet he was a super chap to know even if he does fit your description of that lad a the back of the class to a’t’.

It would be wonderful if you could share some of your Brum memories, photos or more related songs with us here on the forum.

Graham.

You've got me at it again. I have a photo of one of these delivery boys tucked amongst a hundred others. Will sort it after a shower and hair wash. Jean.

This is the photo of an un named member of dads family. Have put it on ages ago but not under this heading. Jean.:)

"I heartily dislike the notion of sending the boys out on red machines like imps from hell".​
Post Office official discussing his dislike of red motorbikes,
favouring the standard BSA green. POST 122/9097, 1932/3 Motorcycle post delivery before Vans were used. Len.

Replicas like this one were used in trial robberies of Post Offices for training purposes.
This is a copy of a Smith and Wesson revolver and has 'NO A 2472' and the Smith and Wesson logo on it, makes you wonder if the todays Postmasters get any similar training. Len.

Chris thanks for taking the time to reply I know how busy you are.

Sorry if I've got you mixed up with someone else. In our class there were quite a few of those ugly characters that you describe so well. :DMy memory is full of holes since my two ops and it is half a centaury ago since we last met! There was a lad in our class, also from Irish immigrants, that followed me everywhere yet he was a super chap to know even if he does fit your description of that lad a the back of the class to a’t’.

It would be wonderful if you could share some of your Brum memories, photos or more related songs with us here on the forum.

Graham.
I was a wag - mentioned earlier - and Graham asked me to write a little Brum story - well I wrote this for the wag site and now I'll re-print it here:

Gertie Hill! Two words that would strike terror into the heart of any wag working the late shift at Selly Oak; the shift was 12.12 till 8.25 - now aren’t those the strangest of strange hours? I mean what was the matter with 12-00 till 8.15 or even 8.13 if they had to be so precise but that was in 1961, before The Beatles, when one of the Inspectors of Messengers – a certain Mister Drinkwater – would call the wags to attention at the commencement of duty; needless to say he didn’t last very long.

But I digress: Gertie Hill was a gentle old lady who was one of the telegraphists who would whip us out when the Postman Higher Grade (our supervisor) went home at around six; the others were George, who seemed to have loads of kids, Tinkerbell Jackson and Katie McCullough - the Bridget Bardot of Belfast; oh Katie McCullough had all the wags dreaming about her and she even dated the dark horse Johnny Rees but there again he did have a slight resemblance to Elvis.

Gertie had a saying ‘I tell you why’ which even now, every time I hear it, I want to say ‘because I have a TMO.’ She would come up to us late at night, when we thought we were going home and say ‘I want you to go to Northfield; I tell you why;’ and we all knew why and it was because she had a TMO – a telegraph money order.
Even now my wife will ask me to do something and say ‘I’ll tell you why’ and I will ask ‘because you’ve got a TMO?’ Of course she’s learned not to say it any more and on the odd times that I forget myself and say it she says it – she knows what a TMO is because she used to be a telegraphist at head office.

So off we would go to Northfield or Edgbaston or some other place miles away from the office with the TMO and come back to find the big gate locked; in the day time we would go up the drive, off Bristol Road, and ride straight into the yard but when Gertie was on duty she would lock the big gate. She did this for security purposes and from this lofty age it’s quite understandable but back then, when we would wait outside the door, ringing the bell, dying for a pee and waiting for Gertie to hear us, we didn’t understand.

She would eventually get off the phone or come away from the telegraph machine and let us in. Then we had to go and open the big gate, ride our bikes in and close the big date again.

But we were naughty boys let’s face it; those bantams had metal foot rests which sparks would fly from if we scraped them on the ground as we went around corners and this we did constantly especially if girls were looking at us.

I used to do a little trick at night in the yard when I would lean the foot rest on the floor and open the throttle; this would cause the bike to spin around in circles and the sparks to fly and together with the headlight spinning around like an air raid searchlight in the darkness and the high revs would bring Gertie running into the yard wondering what was going on; of course I deserved to come a cropper and I didn’t but I have to confess I thought it was great fun.

I don’t know where Gertie is now, don’t know whether she’s alive or dead, but she certainly was a character and when I think about it she was probably about the same age then as I am now but even if that is true I have to say if there is one thing I would like to do it would be to get on to one of those bantams, lean it onto the foot rest and spin it around in the darkness like I used to do – I’ll tell you why ………….

This bicycle was probably used by a Post Office manager or inspector because it is black. The usual delivery cycles were always red. It was produced by Tyseley in 1929, to the standard Post Office design. The initials GPO (General Post Office) can be seen worked into the design of the chain wheel – a feature that started in the early-1930s. Len.

In the 50s I went to Erdington Grammar and we caught the bus home at the stop on the corner of Kingsbury road/Wood End Road.
There was a very big house opposite the bus stop which was the headquarters of the Telegram delivery boys.

We never cared how long the bus took to arrive as we all loved eyeing up the lads.

Good news for all those GPO delivery boys from the past and for Birmingham history; Chris Sullivan has been at it again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gz2mawSrjs"]YouTube - Motor Bike Telegram Boys Reunion News Item and The Wag Song[/ame]​

Graham.

Hi Dereklcg: The Telegram Boys have their own website as many of them
wanted to have a reunion, the Birmingham telegram delivery boys have a BBC article on this website as a video report. https://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_5350000/newsid_5352800/bb_rm_5352866.stm
The other website about the Telegram Boys is https://www.thg.org.uk/telegraph/wags.htm There is a link on this site
about the Telegraph service in Britain.

It's a very interesting subject. Thanks for posting.
Hi all Old Brummy here.As an old Telegram Boy myself I wa a bit interseted in having a look at this site but after clicking on I get a message to say site not found. Maybe it is too old now as I see it dates back to 2002. I worked at Broad St and Harborne P.o whci reminds me I have to find out about Harborne P.O as it is shown on the wrong corner im my Bartholmews 1954 Edition Cheers Old Brummy

Hello Old Brummy,

The site you need is https://www.birminghamsandsclub.co.uk/messenger.htm - when you get there you will be able to see a forum link which has a plethora of stories.
Nice to see my photo as above posted by my friend Graham.
There is another link which will play my music video which is about life as a telegram boy [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYcHnzWW6k"]YouTube - Chris Sullivan: The Wag Song.[/ame] -
I worked at the Erdington office for a week which Alberta talks about - if I'd have known there were girls on it I would have looked at the bus.
Chris.

Around 1949-50, I was hit by a bloke on a telegram motor bike, I was running across Aston Hall Road, on my way out of school, to buy my beano, I was knocked unconcious and woke up in the headmasters' study.
I wonder if he is still alive, although he would probably be in his 80s now.

Was his name Mr.LONG Astonite from Yew tree road. I started ther in 1952. Do you remember the Danbury sisters from Aston Hall road only they have been in touch recently. Jean.

The headmasters name when I was there was Mr Armour (or it could have been spelt Harmer) Jean I was wondering whether the telegram boy was still with us, not the head master! Im sorry I dont recall those sisters.

well the telegram boy would be about be 16 -18 so he would be 74-75 now and these days he is very likely still alive -

hello dereklcg
I was a telegram boy from about 1947 i work in Hill street and Aston road then Erdington i still have photo some where i will find it and post it Allen Gibson

Back