• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Teddy Sandfords cafe smethwick

pam m

master brummie
Hi, this was a cafe visited alot by my grand dad Charles Jones, the cafe was used in a documentry about West Bromwich Albion football club, the film is called The Saturday man, i think it was ist shown at the Grove cinema in smethwick

if i remember right teddy sandford cafe was on the birmingham road about 200 hundred yards from hawthorns on the same side is that correct john h

Hi John, actualy that does ring a bell to me, have you any pictures of the cafe or as anyone please??, was the row of houses demolished that was next to the ground off the main road??

From Middlemore Lane towards West Brom by the Birmingham of the ground, all the shops belonged to the Jones

pam that was going towards soho road john i havent any photos iused to pop in now and then inthe early sixty'S TED WAS AN OLD ALBION PLAYER I WAS TOLD JOHN H

Hi Pam , the name of the documentry is " The Saturday Men" it was made early 60's , Sir Bobby Robson was in it as he played for the Albion at the time. The dvd is available to buy online. Teddy was born in Handsworth if i remember correctly and he was a member of the 1930-31 team that got promotion and won the F.A. Cup , still the only side to do it.

Here is Teddy Sandford with the Jones at Perry Barr Ted is on the right.
His memorial stone.
Ted was born Edward Sandford at West Bromwich 1910

What an interesting thread. Although my connection to the Albion was much earlier my gt grandfather being the first club secretery. I now have an interest in the history of the club and it's players.

John these are lovely photo's.

Hi Wend. You probably didn’t know, but Teddy Sandford lived right opposite Grandmas old house on the Queslett road.. When I used to stay over at her house I remember him coming over to grandmas early In the morning and shouting through the letterbox wakey wakey to get a lift from uncle Jack / Jim for a lift to his café in West Brom. Had two sons Russell and ?

I didn't know that John what a small world especially with all the family connections to West Bromwich Albion.

Hi Wend. You probably didn’t know, but Teddy Sandford lived right opposite Grandmas old house on the Queslett road.. When I used to stay over at her house I remember him coming over to grandmas early In the morning and shouting through the letterbox wakey wakey to get a lift from uncle Jack / Jim for a lift to his café in West Brom. Had two sons Russell and ?

Russell and Stuart,

My names Kieran Sandford, and I'm Teddy's grandson. I would love any information or photos any of you have on Teddy or Lily, would be much appreciated.

Hi,Kieran, my grandad Charles Jones, and my father Percy Morris visited your grandads cafe many years ago, in the documentery The Saturday Men the cafe is in one of the scenes where you can see my grandad talking, if i remeber Teddy is on there also, a copy of the film is now on dvd which you can buy online, i have been told some pictures are at the West Bromwich Albion ground hanging up, on the wall ,Charles Jones did alot of scouting in is day up n down the country looking for talent, for West Brom and the Villa, look back through this thread theres a picture of Teddy hope some more pictures and info gets posted!! on this its a very interesting thread!!

pam that was going towards soho road john i havent any photos iused to pop in now and then inthe early sixty'S TED WAS AN OLD ALBION PLAYER I WAS TOLD JOHN H

hi, John would you remeber Charles Jones and Percy Morris that used to go in the cafe??

What an interesting thread. Although my connection to the Albion was much earlier my gt grandfather being the first club secretery. I now have an interest in the history of the club and it's players.

John these are lovely photo's.

Hi Wendy, do you mind telling me your great granfathers name?please

Back