• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Teddy Sandfords cafe smethwick

pam m

master brummie
Hi, this was a cafe visited alot by my grand dad Charles Jones, the cafe was used in a documentry about West Bromwich Albion football club, the film is called The Saturday man, i think it was ist shown at the Grove cinema in smethwick

if i remember right teddy sandford cafe was on the birmingham road about 200 hundred yards from hawthorns on the same side is that correct john h

Hi John, actualy that does ring a bell to me, have you any pictures of the cafe or as anyone please??, was the row of houses demolished that was next to the ground off the main road??

From Middlemore Lane towards West Brom by the Birmingham of the ground, all the shops belonged to the Jones

pam that was going towards soho road john i havent any photos iused to pop in now and then inthe early sixty'S TED WAS AN OLD ALBION PLAYER I WAS TOLD JOHN H

Hi Pam , the name of the documentry is " The Saturday Men" it was made early 60's , Sir Bobby Robson was in it as he played for the Albion at the time. The dvd is available to buy online. Teddy was born in Handsworth if i remember correctly and he was a member of the 1930-31 team that got promotion and won the F.A. Cup , still the only side to do it.

Here is Teddy Sandford with the Jones at Perry Barr Ted is on the right.
His memorial stone.
Ted was born Edward Sandford at West Bromwich 1910

What an interesting thread. Although my connection to the Albion was much earlier my gt grandfather being the first club secretery. I now have an interest in the history of the club and it's players.

John these are lovely photo's.

Hi Wend. You probably didn’t know, but Teddy Sandford lived right opposite Grandmas old house on the Queslett road.. When I used to stay over at her house I remember him coming over to grandmas early In the morning and shouting through the letterbox wakey wakey to get a lift from uncle Jack / Jim for a lift to his café in West Brom. Had two sons Russell and ?

I didn't know that John what a small world especially with all the family connections to West Bromwich Albion.

Hi Wend. You probably didn’t know, but Teddy Sandford lived right opposite Grandmas old house on the Queslett road.. When I used to stay over at her house I remember him coming over to grandmas early In the morning and shouting through the letterbox wakey wakey to get a lift from uncle Jack / Jim for a lift to his café in West Brom. Had two sons Russell and ?

Russell and Stuart,

My names Kieran Sandford, and I'm Teddy's grandson. I would love any information or photos any of you have on Teddy or Lily, would be much appreciated.

Hi,Kieran, my grandad Charles Jones, and my father Percy Morris visited your grandads cafe many years ago, in the documentery The Saturday Men the cafe is in one of the scenes where you can see my grandad talking, if i remeber Teddy is on there also, a copy of the film is now on dvd which you can buy online, i have been told some pictures are at the West Bromwich Albion ground hanging up, on the wall ,Charles Jones did alot of scouting in is day up n down the country looking for talent, for West Brom and the Villa, look back through this thread theres a picture of Teddy hope some more pictures and info gets posted!! on this its a very interesting thread!!

pam that was going towards soho road john i havent any photos iused to pop in now and then inthe early sixty'S TED WAS AN OLD ALBION PLAYER I WAS TOLD JOHN H

hi, John would you remeber Charles Jones and Percy Morris that used to go in the cafe??

What an interesting thread. Although my connection to the Albion was much earlier my gt grandfather being the first club secretery. I now have an interest in the history of the club and it's players.

John these are lovely photo's.

Hi Wendy, do you mind telling me your great granfathers name?please

Hi Pam have a look at this thread i have posted some info here. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33568

Hi Wendy thankyou:), have you tried going to the actual West Bromwich Albion ground and see what info they have on your great grandfather?? im sure they would have pictures on the walls in there, i havn`t been there myself to see but i have emailed them on the info of Teddy Sandford and my grandad as they do have someone there thats deals with the history side :)

Hi Pam I did contact a chap who was doing some research for the club on it's history but he said he couldn't find anything so I may have more info than him. I have never been to West Bromwich Albion but I know my mothers family were big supporters. It seems they were in touch as my grandmother was Thomas Smiths daughter. In the post below from my brother John it seems Teddy lived opposite her. From what my brother said he used to ask my uncles for lifts to the cafe. My uncles were both butchers at their fathers shop in West Brom. I now wonder if there was a later connection to the club maybe my grandfather Jim Caldecott. Phew I wish I could talk to just one of them.....

Here is a link to some more info about Teddy, https://www.westbromwichalbionhistory.co.uk/page50.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
If i remember right there was a Cafe just up the B,ham Rd from the Albion.In the late 50s the buses used to stop outside it . It was the terminus stop and if you were going further towards W.Brom you had to pay again.would this be the one or was it the one higher up the road opposite the Island garage.Dek

HI
If you walked out of Halfords Lane at the junction of Birmingham Road, on your right you would have the Albion ground. Walk to the end of the Albion ground and there would be a row of houses and shops. The first or second premises was the cafe owned by Teddy Sandford. I remember, as you walked through the door, right in front of you were the tables and chairs and beyond them was the counter. On the counter there was a big stainless Scott boiler, next to this was a tray of mugs that he would fill with tea from a huge metal teapot. He was a big man who used to hold himself up by resting his hands on the counter. A friend told me that Teddy had bad legs through playing too much football. How do I know all this? I went to school at Sandwell secondary modern and the school meals were rubbish. I would go to Sandfords or across the road to the Bou ndary Cafe, but the food at Sandfords was much better.
ron

HI
If you walked out of Halfords Lane at the junction of Birmingham Road, on your right you would have the Albion ground. Walk to the end of the Albion ground and there would be a row of houses and shops. The first or second premises was the cafe owned by Teddy Sandford. I remember, as you walked through the door, right in front of you were the tables and chairs and beyond them was the counter. On the counter there was a big stainless Scott boiler, next to this was a tray of mugs that he would fill with tea from a huge metal teapot. He was a big man who used to hold himself up by resting his hands on the counter. A friend told me that Teddy had bad legs through playing too much football. How do I know all this? I went to school at Sandwell secondary modern and the school meals were rubbish. I would go to Sandfords or across the road to the Bou ndary Cafe, but the food at Sandfords was much better.
ron
Hi Ron, awwwww thankyou for sharing these memories:) , have you any pictures at all? as you can see by reading this thread my grand dad and father visited this cafe often mayb you may remember them my grand dad Charles Jones was a very big bloke and did scouting for the albion and the villa also sold tickets outside the ground lol.

hi pam
sorry but it was a long time ago I was just a school kid, and I wasnt interested in football (allways liked rugby league) so I was somewhat of a black sheep,all I remember is that it was a lot cleaner than the boundary cafe witch was a wooden shed before they rebuilt it after I left school 1964 and that teddy sandford was a lot more pleasant than the bloke over the road
ron

In the early 60's we used to signwrite all the Ansells pubs,there was one just before the cafe coming away from Brum, we used the cafe for 3 days while we were doing the pub,(can't remember the name of it)
We also did the big curved stand sign in the ground for M and B.

I went to Great Barr a couple of weeks ago and tried to spot Teddy's house. My grandmothers is no longer there it was knocked down along with the garage. I was pretty sure it's a large white house on the corner of the road. It is on the Queslett Road though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My nan was teddy sandfords sister, I remember going in cafe when first started going up the Albion with my dad.
you had jones sweet shop as well, who were also relatives

Back