• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Teacher Training

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
For individual college discussion please go to the relevant college thread - see links below.

For discussions about teacher training in general please use this thread. Thankyou.

Anstey College

City of Birmingham College

Bordesley College

Newman University College

St Peters College/Saltley College

Westhill College

Last edited:
This is a basic summary of former teacher training colleges in or near to Birmingham. Source : A Gazeteer of Closed Education Colleges by Mike Ratcliffe 2019. Links to specific threads about some of these have been added to post #1.

Anstey College of Physical Education
Founded in 1897 merged with Birmingham Polytechnic in 1975, site was closed in 1984 after teaching moved to another site.

City of Birmingham College of Education
Founded in 1948, moved to Edgbaston in 1957, merged with Birmingham Polytechnic in 1975, with teaching moved to Perry Barr in 2001.

Bordesley College of Education
Founded in 1963, merged with Birmingham Polytechnic in 1975 and teaching was moved to Perry Barr in 2001.

St. Peter’s College, Saltley
Founded in 1852. On closure in August 1978 the buildings were sold (with a trust created from the funds) and used as a hall of residence by Aston, now it is run by a housing association.

Shenstone Teacher Training College
An emergency teacher training college, first situated in a prisoner of war camp in Stone, outside Kidderminster, it moved to Bromsgrove in 1963. In merged with Summerfield College in 1971.

Westhill College, Birmingham
Founded in 1907 the College’s courses were validated by Birmingham with which it merged in 2001. The site is now used by the University of Birmingham School.

Last edited:
I nearly went to St Peters but opted instead for, the then fairly new, Newman Teacher Training College at Bartley Green. Still going as Newman University.
It offered a 3 year cert ed course plus an optional extra year to gain a BEd ratified by Birmingham University. (Graduation in the Great Hall was awesome).
I spent 4 very happy years there.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Thanks Janice. I've added Newman to the links in post#1. As it's still going I won't add it to post #4.

Last edited:
All posts discussing Birmingham Training College have now been moved to the thread here

Each story is a testament to the passion and dedication that educators bring to their classrooms, shaping the future one student at a time. This exchange of ideas is a wonderful resource for anyone looking to embark on or enhance their teaching journey. In the spirit of sharing resources and making our teaching materials as engaging and accessible as possible, I recently came across a fantastic tool that I've found invaluable. Transitioning lecture notes and resources into more dynamic presentations has always been a bit of a chore, especially when working with dense PDFs. That's why I was thrilled to discover https://pdfflex.com/pdf-to-pptx a user-friendly service that converts PDF files into PPTX slides. It's been a revolutionary shift for me, allowing me to quickly turn detailed documents into interactive presentations for my classes. This tool could be a great asset for anyone here looking to enhance their teaching materials.

Last edited:
Back