• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tea

Dudley Road Police Station was, to use an expression, the extension of Kenyon Street and officers from the latter were posted to Dudley Road for periods of time.
Of course working Dudley Road one needed a bicycle due to the distances an officer had to cover.
I collected my Raleigh cycle from my home and took it with me to that station after I had a temporary posting there. It was like being posted to the country when compared to Kenyon Street. Cycling down tree lined roads on a summers morning is one of the many memories I have of that station.
I was transferred to CID from there and left my bike in the shed at the rear. If the shed, let alone the station, is still there have a look for me. It was a green roadster type bike with a saddlebag. Only forty eight years ago and we know Raleigh made good bikes so it could be there.
Will.

YES WILL
The Old Station Is Still There And The Shesds ,bUT they Also Now Got Afew Garages Now In The Back YardWith Plenty Of Cars ,
Cor Blimey , They Need ThemUp At The Dudley Rd Now ,
You Would Be Disgusted If You Seen The State Of The Area ,
And Its A No Go Erea Now After 8pm Beleive Me , I Will Try And Get You Some Pics Of The Old Nick , And The Surrondings Between Now And The
Week End You Will Not Beleive How Your Old PatchLooks Like Now
I Done Abit Of The Mentioning Regards The Stations Twice Now But For Some Reasons Our Moderators Don,t Think Its Right I Done One EarlyThis Morning Mentioning What YouHave Basicaly Said About The Extentioning Of The Keyon St Office But They Never Put My Thread On , I Hope They Allow This Thread
And The Trees Are All Long Gone They Have Altered The Winson Green Rd Facing The Nick And Made It A One Way Street And YouHave To Come Up Heath St, To Get Onto Dudley Rd Where Upon If You Can Remember
It Was Straight Across The Rd Facing The Station You Would Have Peddle4d Down The Green ,Not No More The Old Off Licence Is Still Facing The Station , It Is Owened And Run By Asians ,The Chippie AS gONE
sO aS tHE News Agents Next To The Station ,All The Pubs Have Gone
Along The Rd Except The Old Wind Mill Still Getting The Old Charactors In
From Yesterday Oh, And The Old Smiths Arms IS Still There Down On The Winson Green Rd , And The One Facing The Prison [ Winson Green
The Old PrisonAs Had A Make Over With New Extentions And Higher New Walls And A Brand New Exit UpBy The Cannal, You Wouldnt Know The Old Area Now Will. Speak To You Soon And Hope Fully I Can Get Some Pics
Sorted For You , ASTONIAN ,;;;

I Done Abit Of The Mentioning Regards The Stations Twice Now But For Some Reasons Our Moderators Don,t Think Its Right I Done One EarlyThis Morning Mentioning What YouHave Basicaly Said About The Extentioning Of The Keyon St Office But They Never Put My Thread On , I Hope They Allow This Thread

That is a pity, hope your thread gets on when you find Wills bike in the shed. That would be quite a find. Maybe no one has looked in there for the last 40 years. Maybe the thread was moved, what was it called?
Well good luck with your search and look forward to seeing the photographs. Mo

Mo,
I'd blame Astonian for going off thread, if I was dishonest, from a cuppa of tea to a definately rusty old bike in a shed up Dudley Road.

Perhaps those clever on these things may wish to put this diversion convo. under 'Police' and everyone can get back to their cuppas on this section. Just a thought !
Will.

"Whilst On His Beat , The Asian Man Lived By The ALLYEBONE Family House
So I Would Say Inspector Will,Went ItoThe Great Grotto For His Swift Half
That Was The Best Pub In The Sqaure Mile Of The Area, ASTONIAN "

I think there were 3 Atkinson public houses in Camden Street also, The Warstone, The Great Western, and the other one on the corner of Rosebery Street, the name I know not.

I know it is breaking the law of the forum but that is how interesting facts come out. Will.
Who knows maybe your bike will be found. Did it have gears, my bike that I rode until I drove a car didn't. Now I have trouble trying to work out how they work I have so many. Ha!Ha!
As dib44 says there are or were lot of pubs around there. That is why the youth centre was so important, as a lot of the parents were there during all opening hours. It wasn't unknown to have to look for a parent for some reason and Dave would check the pubs. As most of the homes had cold water the kids didn't have a good wash as they were alone most of the time, so I got towels and hot water for any of them that wanted to use them. No one thought it would catch on but it did and the boys were very happy for the opportunity to have warm water. Mo

And here I am 4 43 am, a large mug of tea by my side (about a pint) 3 sugars and topped up with Sterra, yes, I can drink tea with other milk in, Pasteurized, Homogenised, red top, green top, gold top etc but nothing beats Sterra.
I guess it is a Brummie thing as you rarely find it outside of here, but for me, it's how tea should be drunk.
I think the water here is better too, I miss the slightly sweet taste of good ld Brummie water and as for Cat hearing about a 100 year old bottle of Sterra, all I can say is, that it must have been bottled with water from Sellafield...wonderful stuff.

Yes I Recomend A Nice Big Cup Of Twinning Afternoon Tea, The Boffins Have Stated Not So Long Back That Tea Is An Healthy Drink And Reduces Heart Attacks ,And Not Like These Big Coffee Drinkers , That Keeps Them Hypo. Active And Gets There Blood Pressure Up And Racing Which Eventualy Brings On The Heart Attacks, My Kettle Is Never Off Yhe Boil , And My Cup Is Never Empty, I,M Just Off Now To Get My Top Of
Twinnings Brew , With My Four Sugars, And My Drop Of Sterra, Best Wishes To You All
And Ejoy Your Tea ,And CAut Down On Your Coffee , ASTONIAN ,

I am sitting in my office with my cup of tea enjoying the view out my wall of windows. It's a quiet day here, peaceful and the last work day of my week as I am taking off tomorrow. My cup is almost empty and I'm off to get myself another full cup of tea and enjoy the peace and, hopefully, solitude of the remainder of my day.

Coffee? Never touch the stuff myself. Too bitter for my taste.

Norma

I would love to join you all for a cup of tea, but no sugar for me please i am sweet enough LOL

I bought White Tea last week. One with citrus and the other plain.
It isn't as bitter as most teas are without milk. I put a little honey in it and quite like it. Mo

Who uses a TEA spoon like this? or is it Tea Bags?
Any one got any unusual spoons at home?
THE BARON (ASTON)

hi.when i have a brew i dont care what milk is in it sterilize pasteurise
homogenise as long as there is some in it
pete

hi,when i get up i make 2 cups of tea,one for me and one for my dog Llew.
have done for 18 years he likes is brew,
pete

I think that is so cute Pete. I swear some animals are human, our bull dog liked tea with milk and sugar. But he eat human food as well not tinned or dried if it was made then. Mo

hi mwonjm
bless everytime time i make a brew i have to make my otterhound one if i dont he will pester me for mine
fred my otterhound loves his cup of tea and i have to make his in a cup to lol
celia

drink tea often as I can ask the wife LOL and no matter where I go never refuse one last week went to a 70th birthday party in a pub all the way to south wales bought a round of drinks and guess what I drunk TEA... LOL

Back