• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tea

I would love to join you all for a cup of tea, but no sugar for me please i am sweet enough LOL

I bought White Tea last week. One with citrus and the other plain.
It isn't as bitter as most teas are without milk. I put a little honey in it and quite like it. Mo

Who uses a TEA spoon like this? or is it Tea Bags?
Any one got any unusual spoons at home?
THE BARON (ASTON)

hi.when i have a brew i dont care what milk is in it sterilize pasteurise
homogenise as long as there is some in it
pete

hi,when i get up i make 2 cups of tea,one for me and one for my dog Llew.
have done for 18 years he likes is brew,
pete

I think that is so cute Pete. I swear some animals are human, our bull dog liked tea with milk and sugar. But he eat human food as well not tinned or dried if it was made then. Mo

hi mwonjm
bless everytime time i make a brew i have to make my otterhound one if i dont he will pester me for mine
fred my otterhound loves his cup of tea and i have to make his in a cup to lol
celia

drink tea often as I can ask the wife LOL and no matter where I go never refuse one last week went to a 70th birthday party in a pub all the way to south wales bought a round of drinks and guess what I drunk TEA... LOL

Yep thats true He did..Baron seeing those spoons bought some memories back does anyone remember Apostle spoons..sorry I know it's off topic

Thanks so much for that link Jenny We had a set when i was small..dont know where they went though

nice link Jenny Ann I wouldnt like to stir my tea with them too rich for my tastes
icon14.gif

Apostles Spoons (originally a set of thirteen) more commonly twelve were often a wedding gift or baptismal gift. Maybe that is why they were popular and they looked good but did not cost a fortune. Those were the days before wedding lists of course.
The taste of tea, I believe, is very dependant on the water used to make it. Hard water seems better, soft less so.
In many old photos here on BHF the company Mazawattee was a prolific advertiser. There advertisement signs were to be seen on many shops and other buildings.
They were a British company, established in 1887, their products still available but less well known it seems. There are some interesting recipes using tea which the ladies may like to read about.

We had apostle spoons. Although when I was younger I didn’t know that’s what they were.

We also had one of these; the Swan Carlton teapot, made in Birmingham. It has a Bakelite handle and has wonderful ‘gold’ tea staining inside. I bought this one on eBay thinking it was the regular family pot only to find it was a two cup. That may be, but with most people using mugs these days, it just about fills one mug !

Must have been the most common teapot in Birmingham households, if not around the country

Viv.

627B7EDF-4B9B-4722-91AD-9BA3C30DC79E.jpeg

We had apostle spoons. Although when I was younger I didn’t know that’s what they were.

We also had one of these; the d i made in Birmingham. It has a Bakelite handle and has wonderful ‘gold’ tea staining inside. I bought this one on eBay thinking it was the regular family pot only to find it was a two cup. That may be, but with most people using mugs these days, it just about fills one mug !

Must have been the most common teapot in Birmingham households, if not around the country

Viv.

View attachment 143500
we had one and i put it on the gas to warm the tea up. it melted,the bottom off it.:oops:

Thats a blast from the past Viv, almost forgotton about those. Every household had one, with the knitted tea cosy.

Remember refreshment breaks were always called a ‘tea break’ now it’s mostly referred to as ‘coffee break’. We used to on the whole drink tea all the time. We occasionally bought a small tin of Nescafé powder coffee, the brown labelled tins where you’d lever the lid off with a spoon. It wasn’t until Maxwell House (I think) brought in the freeze-dried stuff that we moved away from primarily tea. But even today I still enjoy many cups of tea in one day, with only the occasional coffee. Viv.

Remember refreshment breaks were always called a ‘tea break’ now it’s mostly referred to as ‘coffee break’. We used to on the whole drink tea all the time. We occasionally bought a small tin of Nescafé powder coffee, the brown labelled tins where you’d lever the lid off with a spoon. It wasn’t until Maxwell House (I think) brought in the freeze-dried stuff that we moved away from primarily tea. But even today I still enjoy many cups of tea in one day, with only the occasional coffee. Viv.
we just say panad time now........ Welsh slang for cuppa

Back