• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TB Sanatorium 1940's

Sheila P

Brummie babby
Hi, does anyone know of an old TB sanitorium that may have been in the Sheldon area during WW2. My mother was in such a place at that time but I cannot remember where it was, she may have been in a hospital in Sheldon - or I may have it totally wrong and her friend was a Nurse Sheldon. Anyone know about such a place in please?? She would probably have been living in Rubery when taken ill, not sure, I attach a photo of the sanitorium circa 1942 ish.:courage:

There was a TB Sanatorium at West Heath, which is less than 5 miles from Rubery it is now West Heath Hospital, but the building in the picture doesn't look like any I knew at WHH.

Colin

There was a TB Sanatorium at West Heath, which is less than 5 miles from Rubery it is now West Heath Hospital, but the building in the picture doesn't look like any I knew at WHH.

Colin

just about to say the same thing colin..my grandads death cert shows cause of death TB..place of death west heath hospital 1948

Many thanks for all your comments, I will now follow some of them up. Certainly the photo of West Heath does not seem to match but will do some more research. I do have lots of photos of the beds being outside, all young ladies of a similar age it would seem and all in 'muftie' rather than gowns etc.

Thanks again, any further comments, info, gratefully received:tranquillity: thanks

Sheila

This may be it but I am unsure; this photo is probably pre 1914 and possibly one of the patients is one of my mom's friends
Sanitorium-Edit.jpg

Michael, That is Yardley Green Hospital, I have a similar photo dated 1935.

Colin

There was another TB hospital in the West Bromwich area called Hill Top I can remember taking patients there in the 60's,and I am not sure whether Burcot Grange near Barnt Green was used for a similar purpose

Last edited:
Back