• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TB Sanatorium 1940's

Sheila P

Brummie babby
Hi, does anyone know of an old TB sanitorium that may have been in the Sheldon area during WW2. My mother was in such a place at that time but I cannot remember where it was, she may have been in a hospital in Sheldon - or I may have it totally wrong and her friend was a Nurse Sheldon. Anyone know about such a place in please?? She would probably have been living in Rubery when taken ill, not sure, I attach a photo of the sanitorium circa 1942 ish.:courage:

Colin B

gone but not forgotten
There was a TB Sanatorium at West Heath, which is less than 5 miles from Rubery it is now West Heath Hospital, but the building in the picture doesn't look like any I knew at WHH.

Colin

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
There was a TB Sanatorium at West Heath, which is less than 5 miles from Rubery it is now West Heath Hospital, but the building in the picture doesn't look like any I knew at WHH.

Colin
just about to say the same thing colin..my grandads death cert shows cause of death TB..place of death west heath hospital 1948

Sheila P

Brummie babby
Many thanks for all your comments, I will now follow some of them up. Certainly the photo of West Heath does not seem to match but will do some more research. I do have lots of photos of the beds being outside, all young ladies of a similar age it would seem and all in 'muftie' rather than gowns etc.

Thanks again, any further comments, info, gratefully received:tranquillity: thanks

Sheila

Michael_Ingram

master brummie
This may be it but I am unsure; this photo is probably pre 1914 and possibly one of the patients is one of my mom's friends
Sanitorium-Edit.jpg

205mal

master brummie
There was another TB hospital in the West Bromwich area called Hill Top I can remember taking patients there in the 60's,and I am not sure whether Burcot Grange near Barnt Green was used for a similar purpose

Last edited: