• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Taylors Photography.

Steve40UK

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am trying to find more about this shop, and hopefully a photo of it. All I have is the address. 366 Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham. Hopefully someone can help me.

No 366 is in red on the c1950 map below. the firm appears in Kellys directories from the 1936 edition (when they are described as photographers and which would refer to 1935) till at least the 1958 edition (where it is described as Taylors Press service, photographers and would refer to 1957). It had disappeared by the 1961 edition. The electoral rolls (only some of which are online) show Charles Percy & Beatrice Kate Taylor to be there in 1935, but not in 1930. Charles is still there in 1960. Below are advertisements for the firm birm gazette.5.11.1949.jpgBirm mail.15.2.1940.jpgEv Despatch. 27.2.1940.jpg

map c1950 showing 366 Soho Road.jpg

Hi, I am trying to find more about this shop, and hopefully a photo of it. All I have is the address. 366 Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham. Hopefully someone can help me.
Steve, Here is a google photo taken in 2019, where the shop with the green For Sale Sign is No 360, so going towards the left would have been 362, then 364 & then 366 Taylor's Photography shop, which I believe would have been similar in style to those on the right hand side of the photo. I visited in about 1962 to have passport photos taken. It was positioned almost directly opposite the Regal Cinema. RobT

360 soho rd.JPG

Steve, Here is a google photo taken in 2019, where the shop with the green For Sale Sign is No 360, so going towards the left would have been 362, then 364 & then 366 Taylor's Photography shop, which I believe would have been similar in style to those on the right hand side of the photo. I visited in about 1962 to have passport photos taken. It was positioned almost directly opposite the Regal Cinema. RobT

View attachment 145515
Yea, I think the building is now the bus station on the left.

Back