• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Taylor needle in a haystack

B

bristolloggerheads

I know I'm asking the impossible here! I'm looking for a marriage of William Taylor, pipemaker, to Mary. They baptised a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter together at St. Martins in 1822. The 6 year old, William jnr, was born in Birmingham. They had moved to Gloucester by mid-1824. Their parents were in Broseley, Shropshire in 1800 but William snr was only 20 in 1816 when William jnr was born.

I surmise that they married between 1814 and 1822.

Help!

Peter

Hello Peter, I think this may be them, well it fits the time frame;
Marriage December 13th 1814 William Taylor and Mary Ann Hall.
I am sorry ther is no other information the early records were just a list of names. Hope it helps anyway!

Mary Ann Hall

Thanks for the prompt reply. All I know about my Mary from the census is that she is listed as born Bristol, Somerset c 1787. I have found a Mary Hall born in Bristol in 1798 but nothing that matches the right age. I have ruled out a marriage in Broseley and no Mary that came from a known pipemaking family married a William Taylor in Bristol. I assume the connection between a Bristol girl and a Shropshire pipemaker is to do with the Severn. I also presume that to get the children christened in St. Martins the parents would need to have been married. If the 1814 marriage is right why wait to get the children baptised?

Peter

St Martins

Hi Peter,

I tend to agree with Moma P about this marriage. St Martins was a "convenience" church, a place of mass marriages where not too many, if any, questions were asked, particularly useful if one of the parties was underage and marrying without parental consent. Sometimes 200 or more marriages took place in a single day - a bit of a production line situation! :p

Also it was not at all unusual for parents to get several children of differing ages christened on the same day. In a small village church with a handful of christenings a month this would earn additional comment such as the dates of birth of the children or "This child must have been at least three years old", etc. In a church like St Martins with a massive throughput, the registers were frequently written up by the parish clerk, sometimes at the end of a long day, and there wasn't time to insert information that was not legally required. As a result it is not unusual to find missing information or forenames incorrectly recorded.

Regards,

Maurice at The LONGMORE Pages
https://www.msheppard.com

Mary Taylor

Many thanks for the info. The birth dates are carefully recorded in the register and as the family Bible survives I know I have the right baptism.

Peter

Back